PDA

View Full Version : Bangors story ( FeLV Positive)

Elaine
20-02-2007, 08:12 PM
http://www.theanimalspirit.com/bangor.html

Fran
20-02-2007, 08:44 PM
This is exactly the reason why I fought for William. I still think he should have been re-tested 12 weeks later.

I just read this on that link you posted Elaine..

A small percentage of cats who are FeLV positive are in the process of developing immunity after which they will become negative; this is another reason for testing healthy cats twice.

A cat can test "False-Positive" for FeLV. Because of this, many cats who were never infected in the first place, or would never have become ill, have unfortunately been killed

Poor William, he appeared so healthy, did he deserve to die??

Thanks for posting that Elaine, that is how I understood the disease and I personally feel William has been subjected to a premature death :(

Elaine
20-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Thats exactly why I posted it Fran.
Stray/feral cats get such a bad press and have such a hard life trying to survive. It simply breaks my heart when animals are PTS needlessly.
I know there isnt a simple solution and there are too few homes for all the animals in rescues but I do feel that education and a better understanding goes along way.
I know that there were people here trying to fight Williams corner, just really saddens me that he has gone.

Kobster
21-02-2007, 02:33 AM
I didn't know any of this. I'm shocked. To think of the numbers of cats put to sleep for this every year.

dandysmom
21-02-2007, 03:11 AM
What a great link, Elaine; I learned quite a bit I hadn't known. Poor William...:cry: But makes me moire confident that Lily and Abi should be OK! Fingers crossed .......

Liz
21-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Just a thought for all us cat owners - if your babies meet a big cat and have a fight outside and have an injury do you test for FIV probably not quick trip to the vets and some anitibiotics.

We went though an ordeal with Shadow who we adopted from CP at 6 months when they discovered his litter mate was FIV positive - oh hell he was already ours and mixing with our then 19 so CP paid to have Shadow tested and he came back neagative as did the other 19 I paid for but knowing more now wouldn't have worried as he is scared of his own Shadow (he is a feral) and loves his new lady Miss Diva and is a poppet but it was to late to hand him back this beautiful slate grey boy with Amber eyes had stolen our hearts and was loved by his new 3 and 4 footed family.

I have friends who have both FIV and non FIV as we did until we lost Hissy Holly last year to FIV, another feral who we loved from a distance till the day she died but was accepted by our mob and noone else has it and ours range from 21 to 1 and all were near or around Holly.

charliebubs
21-02-2007, 03:41 PM
That is very interesting Elaine. Thank you for posting.

I can't help but feel in two minds now as to whether I even did the right thing taking William to Wood Green. I don't know what else I could have done though. I couldn't have kept him (even neutered and before I knew about the FeLV). :(

It's very sad what happened to him. Poor boy. :(

dandysmom
21-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Don't blame yourself, Charlie, you did what you thought was best for William at the time, and no one could forsee the unfortunate (and unnecessary!) ending....:cry:

Fran
21-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Charlie, you did absolutely the right thing by William. You were not to know that it would have ended as it did and you acted in William's best interests so don't beat yourself up over it x

Elaine
21-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Charlie please dont feel that I was trying to blame you for Williams demise, nothing could be farther from the truth. I just get annoyed that places like WG and for that matter many vets dont do enough to help these poor animals.
I know its not always easy for rescues etc but it still upsets me.
Loads of others would have done the same as you Charlie, I probably would have too, so from your part you did your best and a bit more besides.

charliebubs
21-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Charlie please dont feel that I was trying to blame you for Williams demise, nothing could be farther from the truth. I just get annoyed that places like WG and for that matter many vets dont do enough to help these poor animals.
I know its not always easy for rescues etc but it still upsets me.
Loads of others would have done the same as you Charlie, I probably would have too, so from your part you did your best and a bit more besides.

I know you weren't blaming me Elaine. :)

I'm just finding it tough too. It doesn't seem fair and I feel awful for William. I really wanted to go back up and visit him again as well, whatever his results were, and I'm upset that I didn't get the chance. I wasn't even told his results until it was too late for him. :(

I wish that we/they/I could have just saved him.

Elaine
21-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Although William is gone, and there is nothing we can do about that now.
His memory should live on and maybe he and his story has helped to educate and make people more understanding towards FeLV. Possitive and Negatives alike.

Elaine
21-02-2007, 10:47 PM
OMG, how pompous do I sound? LOL
I expect you all know what I am trying to say though.

dandysmom
21-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't worry, you came through loud and clear.....

charliebubs
22-02-2007, 02:32 PM
OMG, how pompous do I sound? LOL
I expect you all know what I am trying to say though.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

It sure has been a lesson learnt.

I knew what you meant!!! lol

x