PDA

View Full Version : Alfie Completely Freaked

Rosie
20-02-2007, 12:06 PM
My grandchildren came round to my house at the weekend for the first time since I got Alfie last July (they are 5 and 7). Alfie came running in took one look at them and ran out of the house and I couldn't find him anywhere and would not come when called. He came back 4 hours later and they were still there so off he went again. I had to go out after they had gone and bribe him to come in with his tea.

I am absolutely amazed as Alfie seemed so happy and easygoing. Rosie was and has always been fine no matter how noisy they are. Do you think Alfie will get better as he gets older? He has never had any negative experiences with children. Should I keep him in the house the next time the children come round (with plenty of places for him to go out of the way)?

dinahsmum
20-02-2007, 12:29 PM
It's amazing isn't it and just goes to show how differently animals think and how they're really not 'almost human'. I've read or heard something about the psychology of this - can't remember if it was in relation to dogs or cats, but if I remember rightly (not necessarily the case! :roll: ) it's about body language again. Our pets learn to interpret our body language and having learnt ours find that most human objects of similar size do similar things and are therefore 'safe'. If they do diferent things (shout, clap hands, scuff stones) they are not safe, therefore you keep away. But you know where you are. Then along comes a half scale human :shock: They look different; they sound different and sure as heck they have different body language. Scoot! Take to the hills!
What to do? Don't know. I'd be reluctant to make him stay with the scary things. Does he have something he'll put his fear aside for? ham? prawns? If so maybe the children could tempt him with some? Or maybe he's just best left to his own devices to discover they are not so bad. Hope it gets better as the weather improves and he is able to meet them outside, so he has all his escape options open and won't be so terrified.

Odd, isn't it. We think we know them (fearless Alfie!) and they go and make fools of us. However, our pets make fools or liars of us so often we should get used to it I suppose
Good luck with the introductions.

Fran
20-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think that it is uncommon for cats to be unsure of children especially if they are not used to them. I think DM's advice above sounds good. Good luck with this and do let us know how things go..

Mags
20-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Cassie used to be frightened when my g/children came, she would fly out the catflap and stayed out until they had gone. I solved the problem by letting them put her dinner in her bowl and gently offering it to her. She was very cautious at first but when they come now she is straight up to them expecting food all the time!! :lol:

Moli
20-02-2007, 01:52 PM
All four of mine disappear when someone new comes in, they are so used to it being just me and them, they have not really met children, Merlin just totally freaks, and disappears under a bed for the day....

Rosie
21-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies and reassurances. It seems so obvious when you hear it from other people. 99% of the time the only other people Alfie comes into contact with are myself and my neighbours who come in to take care of Holly.