PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

RRR
20-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Is there a difference between cat and kitten fur when it comes to humans being allergic? :?

Fran
20-02-2007, 11:25 AM
As far as I am aware, the allergies are usually down to the cat's saliva not the fur itself (cat groom's itself, saliva on fur). So in that instance the allergy would be the same for both cats and kittens. Someone else may come along with something else to offer?

dinahsmum
20-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I've never heard of anything but agree with Fran's logic. There's a breed of cat (?Siberian) which is supposed not to produce allergies at all but I'm not sure I buy that one.

RRR
20-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh I never knew that, very useful information!

My sister has always been allergic to cats, as has my dad, but now she's getting a cat and is saying that she is only allergic to kitten fur not cats fur as kitten fur is more fluffy!!

Cant wait to tell her that she doesn't know what she's talking about!! (I dont actually agree it is the right time for her to get a cat so am trying to put her off). :evil:

Mags
20-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh I never knew that, very useful information!

My sister has always been allergic to cats, as has my dad, but now she's getting a cat and is saying that she is only allergic to kitten fur not cats fur as kitten fur is more fluffy!!

Cant wait to tell her that she doesn't know what she's talking about!! (I dont actually agree it is the right time for her to get a cat so am trying to put her off). :evil:
:lol: :lol: :lol:...... try to be tactful when you tell her!! ;)