PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

dreams
17-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone,
Im hoping someone can give me some advice,
My Puss Puss (cats name) is quite old now and eats a hell of alot and refuses to use a litter tray!!!
She goes under the stairs!!!!
I am bit pee'd off with the mess but no matter what i do puss wont use one and is always trying to nick food even tho she has a tin of food to herself a day!!!!

dandysmom
17-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Has she always refused to use the tray, or is this a new development? Have you changed the tray's location, or used a different litter? Is she especially picky about it being very clean? Have you tried putting the tray under the stairs where she's going? Lots of questions, but need a little more info....has she had a checkup at the vets recently to rule out any medical problems?

Fran
17-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Has she always refused to use the tray, or is this a new development? Have you changed the tray's location, or used a different litter? Is she especially picky about it being very clean? Have you tried putting the tray under the stairs where she's going? Lots of questions, but need a little more info....has she had a checkup at the vets recently to rule out any medical problems?

I would have suggested all the above myself - good advice Eileen. How old is Puss Puss?

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:10 PM
This is a new thing with puss, I have put tray under the stairs but she went beside it!
Puss was a very very clean cat and the litter i use is called thomas litter and its changed every day but i clean it out when its used.
Puss went to vets and they found nothing wrong

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I would have suggested all the above myself - good advice Eileen. How old is Puss Puss?

Puss was a stray back in 1998 in london when i was 12.
She was a adult cat then so its a guess about her age.

Fran
17-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Any change to routine, new additions, any upheavals in the house?

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Any change to routine, new additions, any upheavals in the house?
Puss started this just after christmas and nothing has changed

Fran
17-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Is she weeing and pooing outside her tray or just one or the other?

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Is she weeing and pooing outside her tray or just one or the other?

She is doing both

Fran
17-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Other than increased appetite, have you noticed any other changes in her e.g. reduced eye site?

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Other than increased appetite, have you noticed any other changes in her e.g. reduced eye site?

Nope everything else is fine

dandysmom
17-02-2007, 10:22 PM
This is a puzzling one. Anyone with any other suggestions......????

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:23 PM
This is a puzzling one. Anyone with any other suggestions......????

I know it is thats why i thought i would ask you all for some advice :)

dandysmom
17-02-2007, 10:26 PM
How recently has she seen the vet? This must be really troubling for you, Dreams; wish I had an answer,,,, :cry:

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:29 PM
How recently has she seen the vet? This must be really troubling for you, Dreams; wish I had an answer,,,, :cry:
About a month ago!
When i move i will take her to see a vet there then maybe i might get some answers.
I know puss is a old cat now and maybe its the start of many problems, who knows :(

Fran
17-02-2007, 10:29 PM
The thing I fine strangest is usually as they age their appetite tends to decrease not increase. I wonder if it might be worth another trip to the vet, Did your vet do any blood tests? Is her poo and wee normal?

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:31 PM
The thing I fine strangest is usually as they age their appetite tends to decrease not increase. I wonder if it might be worth another trip to the vet, Did your vet do any blood tests? Is her poo and wee normal?
She is spraying up the wall:?
She is a little loose and i did explain this but i think i spoke to myself:roll:
I move next month so we will go to new vet then

dandysmom
17-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Many old cats live to a ripe old age without medical problems...Kass' Cleo, my Patches (20) and Misty (19 1/2); old doesn't automatically mean problems. Agree with Fran about blood work and fecal/urine tests....

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:35 PM
The vets im at are useless,
Hopefully new vets will be able to do more
I did ask for test but they said she was a healthy weight and in good condition

Fran
17-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Inapropriate weeing/pooing can be a sign of many things but can be a symptom of illness/stress. Given her probable age I would be inclined to get her a thorough health check with the vet Dreams. Do let us know how she gets on x

dreams
17-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Inapropriate weeing/pooing can be a sign of many things but can be a symptom of illness/stress. Given her probable age I would be inclined to get her a thorough health check with the vet Dreams. Do let us know how she gets on x
I will let you know how it all goes, like i said we move end of next month then off to vets we go.
Thank you all for your help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kathryn
17-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Dreams,
Agree with everything so far that has been said, would definately want a blood test that includes the thyroid levels & to check for diabetes. Lots of cats become hyperthyroid with age (too much thyroid hormone) the first symptoms often are eating more & behavioural changes eg loss of house training. She may have soft poo as she is eating more than her guts can cope with. Older cats can also exibit mild senility changes there are drugs which can help this - one is called vivitonin it isn't licenced for cats but had a cat that kept standing in corners & wailing it help enormously vet said to try it as it wouldn't harm him if it didn't help. good luck with the move.
X K

Fran
17-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I was also thinking along the line of thyroid issues with the increased appetite..

dreams
17-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi Dreams,
Agree with everything so far that has been said, would definately want a blood test that includes the thyroid levels & to check for diabetes. Lots of cats become hyperthyroid with age (too much thyroid hormone) the first symptoms often are eating more & behavioural changes eg loss of house training. She may have soft poo as she is eating more than her guts can cope with. Older cats can also exibit mild senility changes there are drugs which can help this - one is called vivitonin it isn't licenced for cats but had a cat that kept standing in corners & wailing it help enormously vet said to try it as it wouldn't harm him if it didn't help. good luck with the move.
X K
Hi Kathryn,
Thank you, i will definately ask for a blood test.
I did wondr if it was her thyroid.
xx

dreams
17-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I was also thinking along the line of thyroid issues with the increased appetite..
Yeah, it could be that.
Im scared tho as Puss Puss is my first cat and she is very loving.
I love her to bits and i just want her to be happy

sammy
17-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Dreams. I too was thinking thyroid - I had two elderly cats who suffered overactive thyroid and one of them started peeing/spraying around the house along with the increased appetite.

If it does turn out to be that, don't be too worried as it's easily treated with quite cheap tablets, and mine lived a good few more years on those!

Kobster
17-02-2007, 11:45 PM
My old girl Puzzles stopped pooping in the box and became ravenous among other things when she developed hyperthyroidism, so deffinatley get that checked out.

dreams
18-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi thank you both, i will get that check out.
I still worry tho as she is my baby :)

sammy
18-02-2007, 12:38 AM
It's completely understandable that you worry. Do you think it would be worth asking your present vet to test for hyperthyroidism? Like I said, if it does turn out to be that, it's very easily treated.