PDA

View Full Version : Kittens and Ferrets - feeding prob!

RRR
11-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Well we have introduced the kittens to the ferrets and all has gone pretty well!

We have an indoor ferret called Missy, she hates other ferrets 100% but isn't too bothered by the kitties at all.

The only problem we are having is that the kitties constantly eat Missy's food! :mad: They will quite happily eat the entire bowl even if they have just been fed.

I cant figure out a way to stop them doing it as Missy is completely free range whenever we're in the house. Anyone got any good ideas? :?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/RRR2006/Cats/The3ofem.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/RRR2006/Cats/ZootandMissy.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/RRR2006/Cats/ZandL.jpg

Fran
11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Not sure how to advise you r.e. your feeding problems but you certainly have 2 very cute kittens and a cheeky looking ferret :cool:

borderdawn
11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Cant you feed the Ferret away from the kittens, then take up the food when she has eaten? Ferrets can actually eat Cat food (dry) in fact the last 12mths of my Ferrets life he only ate Royal Canin sensible 33!
Dwn.

RRR
11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah I dont mind the ferret eating the kittens food as I mix cat food with the ferret food anyway to give them a bit of variety.

I'm more worried about the kittens eating ferret food to be honest, the odd bit I doubt will hurt but they seem to eat as much as they possibly can as quick as they can.

I have just tried to give the ferret her food when she woke up and came downstairs but she ignored it and ate the kittens biscuits instead. The kitties jumped straight up and made a dash for the ferrets food bowl!! So I picked it back up. :roll:

smudgley
11-02-2007, 11:28 PM
It's always difficult in a multi pet house, making sure everyone eats their own food.
I have one cat on kitten food & 2 on adult food :roll: I also have a greedy dog that loves cat food, we used to feed the cats in the utility, but we don't have the utility room any more. :?
Sorry can't offer any advice other than to try & feed them seperately (easier said than done I know)

Sweet
12-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Not sure about the feeding side of things, but the pics are great, love the one with kitty and ferret nose to nose x

dinahsmum
12-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Well they are all just gorgeous and I imagine it must be great fun in your house!
I know nothing about ferrets (except I like them; they appear to be happy animals) and even less about their nutrition. However, their diet (if allowed to live wild) would be pretty much the same as a feral cat wouldn't it? Small animals, insects, frogs, some veggie, scavenged stuff? I suspect that there is nothing in a manufactured ferret food which would harm a cat - even though it probably doesn't supply absolutely 100% of the cats nutrients, carefully balanced etc.
As long as the kits get their proper food, and don't eat enough additional ferret food to make themselves overweight, and as long as all parties using the same food/water bowl are healthy and parasite free, I wouldn't think they'll come to any harm.
(and for someone who knows nothing I've prattled on way too much - sorry!)