PDA

View Full Version : Showing cats

tilly
10-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi
I have a bit of a random question. but I was wondering who on the board shows their cats and if they were going to any show in surrey, as I would love find out about showing. I can't take my two as they are moggies and Tilly is virus carrier. But I would love to breed cats as a hobby some time in the next few years so I thought I had better check out the cat shows and what it is about. I am aware that is is not going to make me rich and there is going to be heart ache if something goes wrong but I love cats a lot and am curious to see how it work. But I would really like to go with someone who knows what is going on. :smt100

I am not going to be breeding for a few years as:
a) I am the kind of person who does lots of reesearch before getting into anything.
b) I live in a tiny rented house.
c) Tilly is contagious to other cat (at least to some extent so would need to at the very least be seperate for any bredding cat):smt017 .
d) I don't have the capital at the moment

But I hope that some time in the next 5 years to be running my own cattery which I hope to be on a lot of land so I though it would be nice to breed cats in the quite periods. The house is going to be on lots of land as I hope my best firend will be sharing a house with me and running a yard.:lol: :lol:

I have done a bit of research as to cost and things like that. But any help on the show front or any breeding advice is much appriciated.

Anyway better stop rambling

Sally

Fran
10-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm quite new to showing and haven't any plans to go to any shows in the Surrey area in the immediate future. What I can tell you though is it is a very expensive hobby :roll: and the days are very long, however, it's good fun and very interesting and you meet some very nice people. Kay is an experienced breeder of Persians and also shows her cats. I'm sure she will be better able to offer you some advice next time she is on here :)

charliebubs
12-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi Sally,

I'm new to showing too and only started taking Lily about 8/9 months ago. I do love it, but as Fran says it's a really long day, sometimes with lots of driving and it's also expensive!! I'm only going to do it as a hobby though, as with breeding.

I have met some lovely people through showing and have generally had a fantastic time. You have to be prepared to take criticism too though!! :( (from the judges) but at the end of the day be happy whether you win or lose, as you are taking the best cat home with you!! :)

I'm not planning on any shows in the near future, but even if you go to a show alone you will find that the breeders are generally all very friendly and helpful and will be happy to talk to you about getting started.

Which breed do you have in mind?

tilly
12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I love the oriental/ siamese cats and ragdolls.

I will have a look around and see if there are any near me.

Saly

charliebubs
12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
They are very different breeds!!! lol

I obviously love ragdolls, as Lily is one!! :) She has such a wonderful nature and temperament.

I also have a Siamese (or Siamese/mix) who is a rescue and she has the biggest personality!!! She is very vocal and wants to be in everything!!!

Both very different and both lovely in their own ways!!

I'm sure if you chat to both types of breeders at a show they'll be able to offer you some advice.

Good luck!!

tilly
12-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the advice

Sally

charliebubs
12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.gccfcats.org/shows.html

Here is the link to the GCCF website and the list of shows. :)

Sweet
12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
I cannot offer any advice but wanted to say, Good Luck in your future plans x

tilly
12-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks
Sally

dandysmom
12-02-2007, 05:30 PM
I think you'll find that showing can become rather addictive, especially if you have a cat that does well! My breeder friends had a very nice Siamese who showed well, and they got quite hooked on winning! It's an expensive hobby, but you do meet some lovely people...and a few not so nice! Good luck whatever you decide.