PDA

View Full Version : Cat Flap Designs

Donna
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
After catching the male cat in my house again this morning I wonder if anybody knows of a cat flap that can deter the most forceful of cats? :?

Mine is a magnetic one and this cat is breaking through the magnet lock. :evil:

I cannot lock the flap as there have been NO ACCIDENTS from Chloe now that she has the option of outside for her loo, so maybe a change of cat flap will be the answer.

I need a strong, secure and unlikely to fail, catflap please!!!!

charliebubs
07-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Hmmm - that's a tricky one if you already have the magnetic one and it's not working. Is yours a Staywell? I think they are the best brand.

I don't really have any other suggestions.....sorry.

Good luck though!! :)

Donna
07-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes mine is a Staywell - are there better makes???

alexgirl73
07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I was looking at some in PAH last night, no idea why as none of mine get out, but they had an an infra red one that might be worth a try. It will only unlock when the cat with the collar with the infra red mechanism in it comes near.

http://www.petsathome.com/invt/12092

Donna
07-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks Alex

Does anyone know how this works??? No idea - sounds too technical for me to understand!!!

Anyone think it would be safer??

alexgirl73
07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
New Product - IN STOCK New from Staywell - An infra red cat flap - with a unique coded key which only allows access to your cats complete with a 4 way security locking system.

White with clear Rigid Flap

To Fit Any Door Max Depth 54mm

4 Way Security Lock

Suitable for cats up to 7kg (15Ibs)

Unique coded key allow access to your cat only. Two keys supplied.

Available in white or a brown woodgrain effect

Hope this helps Donna

dinahsmum
07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's a whole site with cat flaps http://www.catflaps.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d74.html
It has the i/r one.
I guess you could contact them and ask if it will be more secure than the magnetic? Or cantact Staywell direct? There must be a reson Staywell have developed it

Donna
07-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone. Dont wanna buy a new one if the cat can then break through that one.

Will try find Staywell number and call them.

Fran
07-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I've only ever had Staywell flaps and I never had any intruders when I had the magnetic one. Good luck with this Donna, I think giving Staywell a ring sounds like a good idea...

Mags
07-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I have the Staywell 4-way flap and Cassie broke OUT of that :lol: Hubby repaired it though and now it is stronger than ever!

Donna
07-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I have the Staywell 4-way flap and Cassie broke OUT of that :lol: Hubby repaired it though and now it is stronger than ever!

Yes I remember that little episode :roll: :roll: :roll: :-D :-D :-D

I might set the flap tonight for in only - and if the cat comes in then it is trapped. One night of an accident from Chloe for me to get a good look at this cat might help solve this problem... not got close enough to him to see if he has a magnet on his collar for HIS catflap at home.

sammy
07-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Donna.

A word of warning.........we had a problem with a cat coming in and did the same thing, the intention being that if it got a scare and couldn't get out for a bit, it might deter it from coming back in.

Well, it got a scare all right, it went absolutely barmy tearing around the kitchen, it was literally flying up the walls. OH tried to get to the back door to open it and let it out and it just went for him. He ended up at A&E having stitches in his arms and a tetanus jab! :shock:

However, it did work, the cat never came back. So be careful!

Donna
07-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Donna.

A word of warning.........we had a problem with a cat coming in and did the same thing, the intention being that if it got a scare and couldn't get out for a bit, it might deter it from coming back in.

Well, it got a scare all right, it went absolutely barmy tearing around the kitchen, it was literally flying up the walls. OH tried to get to the back door to open it and let it out and it just went for him. He ended up at A&E having stitches in his arms and a tetanus jab! :shock:

However, it did work, the cat never came back. So be careful!

Thanks for the warning!!!!

I just want to see if he has a collar/magnet. If he does then I know that is the reason he can get in. If he doesnt then it is brute force he is using.

If he does get scared and doesnt come in again it will be a bonus but I can understand your concerns. I will be careful!

Mags
07-02-2007, 06:57 PM
You'd better go out looking for a suit of armour tomorrow Donna!:-D

Take care......

Donna
09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Well my plan worked!!!!!

One trapped cat in my kitchen this morning. My two cats were safe behind the kitchen door for the night so no fights.

The cat was rather scared to see me, but is very friendly. No idea if it is spayed/neutered as dont know what I am looking for but it does spray everywhere!!

The cat has no magnet on its collar so is breaking the cat flap magnetic lock each time it comes in.

I have a phone number - do you think I should telephone the owner and what should I say????? Not sure what to do next!!!!

alexgirl73
09-02-2007, 11:28 AM
I would give them a call and just say that you found him in your kitchen this morning and that he has been coming in and out for the last few days and you were wondering if he was missing as you hadn't seen him before! Hope it goes well!

Fran
09-02-2007, 11:36 AM
If it's a Tom Donna and he is entire then you will be able to see his pom poms quite obviously if you lift his tail up. If he is entire then I would be inclined to phone the owners and let them know what a nuisance of himself he is making and upsetting your cats and politely suggest that they get him neutered asap. Good luck. Let us knowhow it goes

sammy
09-02-2007, 11:49 AM
So glad you didn't get savaged Donna! But doesn't sound like he was scared enough to have put him off!

Donna
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
No I think he will still come in - he was scared but he allowed me to pick him up to check his collar.

He had eaten all my cats food again as well.

If the cat is spraying everywhere does that mean it is an uneutered tom?

Fran
09-02-2007, 12:09 PM
If the cat is spraying everywhere does that mean it is an uneutered tom?

I'd say it sounds like a good chance that he is entire but neutered Toms and indeed females can spray too. An un neutered male's urine really stinks though so I think you would know

alexgirl73
09-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry to hijack this for a mo Donna! Fran, you said that if he's uneutered you can see his pom poms (lol) but I can still see Coopers and he was done 2 weeks ago, is this normal?

Fran
09-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hijack this for a mo Donna! Fran, you said that if he's uneutered you can see his pom poms (lol) but I can still see Coopers and he was done 2 weeks ago, is this normal?

I can still Clooney's, actually I often joke with hubby that they are growing back :lol: But in all honesty they are nothing like the size they were before he was neutered. Cooper may still have a little swelling from his op?

alexgirl73
09-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks Fran, is probably is still a little swelling then (no pun intended, lol). They are smaller than before, just wasn't sure if they were meant to disappear completely or not!

Fran
09-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks Fran, is probably is still a little swelling then (no pun intended, lol). They are smaller than before, just wasn't sure if they were meant to disappear completely or not!

I think it varies from cat to cat or even, surgeon to surgeon? But we can clearly see Clooney is male where as with Claude (mind you he only had one :roll: ) and Slyvester you cannot tell that either of them are male without very close inspection

dinahsmum
09-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Both my boys still have obvious psuedo-pom-poms. Previous neutered toms have been much tidier in the beneath-tail region. D'you think it's because the anaesthetics are so good and they just knock them out for a short time, they do a couple of quick snips, remove the offensive articles like shelling peas and just leave it? A five minute job? Better for the cats than being anaesthetised for a longer time.

alexgirl73
09-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Probably DM! I'd not noticed with Broxi as he's fluffy and you couldn't really see his nether regions anyway, lol, but with Cooper it was still obvious.

Donna
09-02-2007, 02:51 PM
My colleague has suggested I start from Monday and go to work putting my cats OUT with the flap LOCKED after they have had breakfast. Put the dirty litter tray in the garden.

Come home at 3-4 and let them in again for their tea and put them straight back OUT again with the flap locked. Let them in at 6-7 for the night. Up till bedtime keep an eye on them and if they are looking for the litter tray let them out for them to do their business. Then lock the flap for the night after that. He says they should get used to this over time.

He said that way they will get used to doing their business outside and not mess in the house and solves the stray cat problem too.

He is a cat owner and has never heard of so many problems that I have had with my cats as this. He thinks this situation I am in is MAD!!!

Any thoughts on this?

charliebubs
09-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Did you call the number Donna?

Donna
09-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Not yet - at work!! Dont want colleagues thinking I daft!! They all laugh at me with my animals!!!

alexgirl73
09-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't know about that Donna, I mean, could you leave your kitties out all day if it was snowing like it is here???

Donna
09-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I dont know if I can keep them out all day, but if it works, then maybe I will have to.

Just phoned the owner. He was apologetic but said there is nothing he can do. He suggested not letting my cats graze on food all day so his cat does not see it as an easy target if no food is available. He says to lock my cat flap too of a night (which is not practical as Chloe needs to get out as she wont use the litter tray). He also stated that my catflap must be faulty as his cat has no magnet so he shouldnt be able to get in.

Missed my point completely but what else really can he say? He did say that he is neutered, but I explained that does not stop him spraying around my house :roll:

alexgirl73
09-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Sorry, but what?? Not to leave food down for YOUR cats, in YOUR house!!! Strange man!! I can only suggest that you phone staywell if you can then Donna, and se if they have a solution.

Fran
09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm not quite sure how I would handle this situation tbh Donna :? It certainly is a tough one!

Donna
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Well I just dont know what to do.

Have fed them both tonight and taken the bowls up again when they finished. They dont eat much in one go and go back and forth to the bowls usually. Now they will have to learn to eat it all at once.

I am going to try and get Chloe to go outside as late as I can in the evening to do her business so hopefully that wont cause her to have an accident in the night if I lock the flap. I can let her out at 7am when I get up each morning.

I havent seen the cat at all this evening so he may be a bit scared to come in at the moment.

I still dont know whether to go down the "put them outside all day" route just to get them used to not coming and going.

I also dont know whether to do the same as last night and see if the cat comes in again. That way I will know whether he has been scared off for a bit at least.

I have also emailed Staywell to see if they can suggest a more robust catflap.

The owner of the cat just seemed to keep saying there must be a fault with your catflap.

dinahsmum
09-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't shut my cats out in this weather. Maybe start it when the weather is good?

Donna
11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Well I thought he had been scared off but he was back in the house again this morning.

I am now giving my cats breakfast and then removing their bowls instantly (whether they have eaten or not) and then doing the same for dinner. Hopefully once he realises I am not a drop in centre for greedy cats he might not bother himself.

Will be locking the cats out more if I can too so that Chloe has access to the outside to do her business.

Other than terrifying the cat so that he daren't ever come back I dont think I can do much else.