PDA

View Full Version : my huge puffer tank!

jenny
07-02-2007, 12:00 PM
well i got a 5ft tank delivered a few weeks ago, and there was a puffer i was keeping an eye on in the shop.

see, the tank was bought to house a nice nile/fahaka puffer that i had seen in my local fish store, real nice pink markings. the puffer had been there for 6 months and no one had showed interest, the shop guy assured me that he would still be there when i wanted him, but i couldnt reserve him. well the day before i was to pick him up, i phoned just in case, and he had been sold that morning! argh!

anyway, id nearly given up hope, having phoned around 20 odd fish stores to find this puffer only to get the response that they either didnt have them, or they were too rare to order in!

so i put my tank up for sale thinking it would be good to make the space anyhow.
well, i went to the zoo with a friend and on the way home we took a wrong turn and i had to do a u turn at a garden centre. well at the garden centre there was a maidenhead aquatics, and i figured we'd have a look, cos im just nosey and thought i'd at least buy some feeder shrimp for my current puffers.

anyway, i said to myself, if i find a nile puffer, i'll take it as a sign to keep the tank. if i dont find one, then i;'ll sell it. knowing perfectly well there was about a 1% chance of finding one. well we looked around for a good half hour, only really finding a giant mbu puffer and some tiny dwarf puffers.
the last and final tank i looked at before going home, had a nile puffer! yay! i couldnt believe it. bit expensive, but i couldnt pass it up. anyway, he's about 6-7" and will grow up to about 18", so this tank is purely for him! hes a bit dark in the pics as hes stressed from the move, but hes lightened up loads since then.

heres piccies of Pink Floyd :D lol.

the tank. no where near finished. i just chucked whatever i could find in there for now, its got a long way to go to being finished, but i couldnt leave him with nothing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jenny6165/Picture165.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jenny6165/Picture166.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jenny6165/Picture161.jpg

alexgirl73
07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow, he's ace!!! My OH has a 3ft tank, which he loves, but at the moment is home to 3 paltry goldfish, lol!! He was supposed to get a new heater and pump with his Christmas money from his mum, and promptly went and lost it on the way home from Scotland just before Christmas, numpty!!

Fran
07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Wow! I've never seen one of those before! Are they easy to keep? He is certainly a stunning fish!

Mags
07-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow! I don't know anything at all about fish Jenny, but he looks a stunner!! :D

jenny
07-02-2007, 01:54 PM
well, i think they are easy to keep.
as long as they are introduced to a mature aquarium, they are fine.
they beg at the front of the glass and are very aware of their surroundings. they'll follow u up and down the glass and bare their teeth to you when begging :D

this particular puffer can only live alone as he is very aggressive and will not accept tank mates. there are already plecs in there, but will have to see how he gets on.

i have another tank with smaller puffers in, they have huge personalitys.

i feed them prawns, mussels, snails, bloodworm, live feeder shrimp etc

charliebubs
07-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Personally, I think that marine life should stay in the sea. That's just my own personal opinion though. I love scuba diving and seeing the animals in their natural environment - a tank can never recreate that. Plus there are too many people in the poorer countries that poach these creatures and sell them for export, which is one of the reasons that the seahorse is getting fewer and fewer in numbers.

He is gorgeous though Jenny. :)

Kobster
07-02-2007, 08:09 PM
SQUEAL! I love puffers! He's gorgeous!

Jac
07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Jenny, your puffer is great. Better hide this thread from Darryle. He works in a fish shop and even before I had him I've kept everything from fancy goldfish to marine. Infact I just broke up my marine tank a few months ago (three but who is counting) Anyway he's stunning! Puffers do have "personalitys" I had a dog face pufffer years ago. Darryle has also had fresh water puffers. Amazeing. Give us some more photo's Pleasee

dandysmom
07-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Very interesting-looking fish; never seen one before. Sounds like quite a personality; do post some more pics!