PDA

View Full Version : Someone reassure me

Soupie
06-02-2007, 08:28 AM
I did the right thing taking on an older rescue cat :( It just seems that every day there is another issue to deal with or another worry!

Pousse is very cute but I believed her to be in completely good health if a little skinny and I am worrying I'm going to mess up somehow :cry: sorry a little wibble as I've realised how much cat feeding and care has changed in the short time I've been catless :oops:

I'm not daft am I taking her on am I?

dinahsmum
06-02-2007, 08:56 AM
No Soupie - it;s just that when you're in the middle of a situation it's difficult to imagine being out of it.
Given time Pousse is more than likely to come round and give you back all the love and care you are giving her at the mo.
Good luck - don't stress - one day at a time (and if today is bad look forward to tomorrow, which may be better)

Sweet
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM
((((((hugs)))))) x

alexgirl73
06-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Soupie, believe me I know how stressful things can be when they aer not going as you expect. PM me if you feel the need to! ((hugs)) and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel xx

dinahsmum
06-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Soupie - have you tried the two 'pheremone tricks'? This is to produce an enviroment which Pousse will regard as familiar and friendly.
First, and simplest, is to take a clean cloth, like a hankie or similar, and rub it gently but firmly and thoroughly on the area upward between her eyes and her ears - her eyebrow region, if you like. The take the hankie with all the 'Pousse property' scents on it and rub it round your walls at cat-nose height and particularly on door frames and external corners.
On a similar theme, you could get a feliway plug-in diffuser, to fill your house with cat-positive scents (undetectable by you or other humans)
Both these could/should help her chill out and feel at home.

Fran
06-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Integrating an older cat can often take much more time than integrating a young kitten. Hopefully, things will get easier as time goes on as she learns to trust you and adapts to her new life. I was going to suggest a Feliway plug in too. It's worth a go! {{{Hugs to you}}}

Soupie
06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I used to have a feliway for one of my previous rescues which I took in to rehome out again but it went with him - are they still only available from vets? if so I can get one on Friday.

I may struggle to do the wall wiping as I'm very tottery on my pins and struggle to bend to that height but can try it in stages.

In some ways she seems very settled but in other ways she is not in the condition I would like her to be if she had been mine from the start in terms of health and fitness. I'm considering getting some bloods done at the vets too to make sure we have covered all bases - what do you think?

She was curled up under my duvet in the warm patch this morning when I left and I'm afraid I spoiled her and gave her some of her Whiskers Temptations salmon bits cos she looked so cute.

Whenever I give her a treat she looks like she doesn't know what to do with it :(

I'm just feeling a bit out of my depth but ever so glad someone pointed me in the direction of this board - you are all being very helpful :)

Kazz
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I think paitence is the key hear just think of Pousse could post herself she would possibly be on here posting something similar......wanting very much to fit in but struggling to understand she is there for keeps. I think you will both get on well and live a long and happy life together, Karen

sammy
06-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I agree with Kazz. She's had so much upheaval recently, she's probably not sure whats going on, and whether she can relax yet. She might well be thinking she's going to be uprooted again. Think she just needs a bit more time to adjust.

I'm sure she'll settle down soon Soupie, so try not to worry too much!

Kim
06-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I have taken on a couple of older cats and although they can be hard work, I think the rewards are worth it given time. Older cats are usually easier than kittens who are into everything! A nice warm bed, good quality food and some cuddles should be all she needs!

You can buy feliway spray and diffuser at on line pharmacies such as vetmedic, in fact all medication can be brought here, usually a good deal cheaper. If a pet is on long term meds you are entitled to ask your vet for a prescription which is free of charge now and send it to the pharmacy.
www.vet-medic.com/

Elaine
06-02-2007, 07:55 PM
So sorry to read that you are feeling the pressure Soupie. I am sure time and a little patience will work wonders.
You can also get feliway from e-bay. Have you tried rescue remedy too? A few drops in her water or maybe even a drop rubbed into the ear tips.
Remind me how old dear Pousse is? Did you get her from a rescue? If so they may have already had a blood test done and should be able to tell you what the results were. It might save putting her through a bit more needless stress if they have.
How about also trying the scenting thing as DM had said but maybe rub the arms of chairs you sit in etc. Might be a wee bit easier for you that way.
Does she use a bed? You could also spread her scent by putting a wee blanket in her bed or where she prefers to lie and then move the blanket to the sofa or some thing.
You certainly didnt do the wrong thing by taking her in. So many older cats get over looked and remain unwanted. There are always issues with pets of all ages, so try to worry less and enjoy watching all the little break throughs more.
All the best xxx

Soupie
06-02-2007, 08:10 PM
So sorry to read that you are feeling the pressure Soupie. I am sure time and a little patience will work wonders.
You can also get feliway from e-bay. Have you tried rescue remedy too? A few drops in her water or maybe even a drop rubbed into the ear tips.
Remind me how old dear Pousse is? Did you get her from a rescue? If so they may have already had a blood test done and should be able to tell you what the results were. It might save putting her through a bit more needless stress if they have.
How about also trying the scenting thing as DM had said but maybe rub the arms of chairs you sit in etc. Might be a wee bit easier for you that way.
Does she use a bed? You could also spread her scent by putting a wee blanket in her bed or where she prefers to lie and then move the blanket to the sofa or some thing.
You certainly didnt do the wrong thing by taking her in. So many older cats get over looked and remain unwanted. There are always issues with pets of all ages, so try to worry less and enjoy watching all the little break throughs more.
All the best xxx

Hi there

She is 13 this year - born spring 1994. I havent tried rescue remedy but do have some from when I used to showjump as I got very nervous so could try that.

As far as the rescue were concerned she is in good health so perhaps I was lucky with George my last golden oldie as she was much healthier than Pousse is now and had more teeth at the same age :? I'll only have blood tests if necessary though. Am hoping vet will prescribe lots of TLC and good food :)

She doesn't use the bed I bought her but sleeps on my bed at night and in the day and on the sofa with me in the evening - she tends to stay close to me when I am in - in fact I can't believe she's not come to look for me yet :lol:

It does all hint toward insecurity and I am the third home in a short period of time if you count the private home her owners tried first and then the rescue centre - I'm just worried I won't be able to fulfill her needs :(

Kazz
06-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds to me as if you are more than meeting her needs, you care for her thats enough,

Elaine
06-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I am sure its just all teething troubles if you pardon the pun.
I remember when Bernie arrived here, he's a young boy but his coat was a kind of burnt ginger colour due to being malnourished. Dawn had done a good job of feeding him up a bit but he still looked awfull. Now he's my gorgous fluffy black boy and shiney too.
I am sure once you get a food to suit and she settles down and realises this is where she belongs, things will all fall into place.
It is recomended for older cats to have their bloods checked yearly just to make sure kidney function etc is all in order but talk it over with your vet and let him guide you on that one.

Elaine
06-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Sounds to me as if you are more than meeting her needs, you care for her thats enough,

Karen says it all in such few words. Me write a whole chapter to get to the point:lol:

Kazz
06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Always one for a few words me. :)

Soupie
06-02-2007, 11:01 PM

:oops: Thank you - am all bashful now ;)