PDA

View Full Version : [B]Bengal cats ...[/B]

Tanya
27-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I plan on getting a kitten in September/October time. Originally I had planned on getting another moggy. Browsing on the internet I came across BENGAL kittens. I think they are really gorgeous and have such fantastic coats.

Before I even consider getting one of these I need to learn about their 'nature'. Whatever kitten I get, it will be a female (because I want a boy (Oli) and a girl!).

I am hoping that somebody will be able to give me an insight into life with a bengal?!

Are bengals friendly cats?
Would it be ok getting a bengal kitten when there is already an adult moggy in the house (Oli will be just over a year old)?
Do they have particular needs?

Any other information would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Tanya xx

Fran
27-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi Tanya, it might be worth talking to some breeders first before you finally decide on a Bengal kitten. I know that Bengals can be difficult to home with other cats, preferring their own kind. We had a thread about this on here sometime ago, I'll see if I can find it for you

Fran
27-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Here you go Tanya..in this thread someone from Bengal rescue explains why so many of them end up in rescue :( This was the reason I decided against getting a Bengal as much as I adore them. I chose to get Siamese / Orientals instead since I already had moggies....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=13038&page=3

Tanya
27-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Wow, thanks for that Fran! It was a very interesting read. Unfortunately, even though I would love to have one, the thread has made me seriously consider whether it would actually be a good idea. I cant risk Oli being unhappy by getting a bengal. Maybe we will end up with another moggy.

Anyway, I will continue reading more about bengals because they are a very interesting breed.

Thanks for the link.

Tanya

Fran
27-01-2007, 02:00 PM
They certainly are very interesting and very beautiful and I would have one like a shot if I wasn't a multicat household. Good luck with whatever you decide to do (If you have your heart set on a pedigree kitten, there are lots of 'spotted' varieties out there ;) )

CathyW
27-01-2007, 04:26 PM
one of my neighbours is cat sitting a bengal, shes adorable, really friendly with me :) always makes a fuss of me and is quite chatty.

Sweet
27-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Best of Luck in which you chose x

Jac
27-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Tanya,
I had a little Bengal girl. Please dont beleive all that is written about them. She was affectionate, loved my little girl, didnt boother about my moggy infact they were firm friends and as for the dog she ruled him. a better breed you couldnt get. All this she said he said I find quite alarming. If you want any more info pm me. Jac

dandysmom
27-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Tanya, Az has a beautiful Bengal. If the wild look is what you like, check Ocicats and Egyptian Maus.

Tanya
27-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for everyones comments. I really do love bengals! I dont need to rush into anything. I have plenty of time to contact breeders and find out more about this breed. I will also find out about Ocicats and Egyptian Maus.

Thanks again :)