PDA

View Full Version : LItter Trays

RRR
26-01-2007, 10:17 AM
How often do you clean your litter trays out? I mean scoop and full clean.

:D

Fran
26-01-2007, 12:01 PM
My litter trays are scooped out every 2-3 hours during the day and fully washed and disinfected 2/3 times per week. I do, however have 8 cats although 4 of them rarely use a tray prefering to go outside.

andrew021
26-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I dont clean it out as often. I have one cat who only uses it as a necessity. Before I always scooped out as soon as there was poo in it but usually give it a clean once a week and changed the litter.

Mags
26-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I scoop as soon as I see it has been used and wash and disinfect the tray once a week .......... more if there has been soiling on the sides of the tray...

charliebubs
26-01-2007, 01:24 PM
I scoop twice a day when I'm working, but more if I'm at home and one of them does a stinker!!!!

I clean and disinfect once a week.

alexgirl73
26-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Scoop out poo as needed during the day and fully clean once a week.

Shadowdh
26-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Scoop the poop as soon as he has done it and clean about 7-10 days...

RRR
26-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I scoop twice a day when I'm at work and do a full clean and change every weekend.

I was just wondering about it all as after reading up on the toxoplasmyosis thing I was worried I dont clean it enough.

I have only been using baby wipes to wipe around the base until now as I use tray bags but think I'll be disinfecting it from now on. There has never been any mess on the actual tray, the bags are a great idea! :D

Tanya
26-01-2007, 03:10 PM
I scoop the poop (& put it into a nappy sack)as soon as Oli has finished and I change the litter every other day. The day i change the litter I also spray it with disinfectant and wash it.
Oli won't use the litter if it is too wet. He kicks it with his front paws and meows until I change it. ;)

yola
26-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I scoop usually mornings and if I'm at home (which I am mostly at the mo), I scoop as soon as something rancid lands in the tray. If it gets mucky around the outside I'll use anti-bac wipes (the ones which dry without scent or taint). As for washing them out? I'm afraid I'm lazy there :oops: - I will only do it if I need to - i.e., the smell is too overpowering :shock: or some mucky cat get the tray to dirty to clean with a wipe!

charliebubs
26-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I scoop usually mornings and if I'm at home (which I am mostly at the mo), I scoop as soon as something rancid lands in the tray. If it gets mucky around the outside I'll use anti-bac wipes (the ones which dry without scent or taint). As for washing them out? I'm afraid I'm lazy there :oops: - I will only do it if I need to - i.e., the smell is too overpowering :shock: or some mucky cat get the tray to dirty to clean with a wipe!

Which brand is that Yola? I'd actually like to be a bit lazier!! Sounds like a good idea!! :)

Soupie
04-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I scoop poop and clumps out twice a day and do a full litter change once a week and disinfect tray thoroughly then. Only have one cat and use Catsan clumping litter :)

Kay
05-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I scoop them out several times a day and completely change the litter every 3-4 days. When I change the litter I disinfect them. I have to do it this often as I have 9 indoor only cats.

dandysmom
05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
As I have just one cat who normally only poops once a day I scoop it at night; give a wash and disinfect about a week to 10 days, depending on how much she's weed.

Erin
08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
i scoop as soon as hes done and i clean the tray every other day,if i left it any longer the fussy git wouldnt use it :roll:

sarahd
13-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I scoop when the poop is there and clean and disinfect every day sometimes every other day.
I have 7 cats indoors on a night time that use the tray so cant bear the smell of it sometimes when they have all been using it.
Not so bad during the day when some of the cats are in the outdoor pen.

Sarah
x

Animagus
14-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I scoop when needed....
Change the Litter at least once a week depending on the state of it
and as i use the wood based litter it is great in keeping the bottom of the tray very clean and dry so disinfecting when needs be also

kado
02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I have 2 trays and change the both each day. Guinness always goes in it and does a realy stinky one.

borderdawn
02-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I clean it when there is something in it, I dont like to leave it, and Wiggy wont use it if there is anything in it! i wash it with trigene about 3 times a week, more if nec.

random
02-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Every morning I scoop solids and clumps, and top up with a bit more litter, and do a full clean and disinfect every 2 - 3 days depending how bad it is. We have 4 cats using the tray and they mostly do poops early morning, so cleaning in the morning is ideal as the waste isn't left for too long.

If there is a poo there that hasn't been buried (Tucker usually doesn't bury his, the girls always do) then Kiara will not go in the tray, and she tells me about it and pesters 'til I clean it for her to use. :roll:

smudgley
02-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Every morning I scoop solids and clumps, and top up with a bit more litter, and do a full clean and disinfect every 2 - 3 days depending how bad it is. We have 4 cats using the tray and they mostly do poops early morning, so cleaning in the morning is ideal as the waste isn't left for too long.

If there is a poo there that hasn't been buried (Tucker usually doesn't bury his, the girls always do) then Kiara will not go in the tray, and she tells me about it and pesters 'til I clean it for her to use. :roll:

Do your 4 cats share 1 tray?

random
02-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Do your 4 cats share 1 tray?

Nope 2 trays

I say 'the tray' meaning method of toileting, as a pose to Tabs who goes outside.

cc22peatree
21-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Whisk won't use a tray, she will hold it in until I let her out:)