PDA

View Full Version : Female cat spraying

Claire m
24-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Morning, My sister has a black moggy abby who has started spraying in the house, is it normal for a female to do this ? due to this problem my sister has now decided she does not what her in the house and is left out side in all sorts of weather :shock: , i am however trying to rehome abby as i find it crule to keep her outside in the cold :mad: Her local RSPCA has said they will take the cat only if they pay £85.00 to cover costs which they cannot afford. If she were to be rehomed would she still spray. I would appricate any advice you can give. Thanks in adavance.

Claire m
24-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Does anyone have any advice for me, I really want to help this poor cat.

Rosie
24-01-2007, 11:42 AM
If you read my answer on one of the other threads in "Chat" you will know I have had this problem and tried for six months to beat it but failed. I have a friend who had a male cat again with this problem but failed. Sorry not very positive help but it is not unique.

Samz5
24-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Claire, it isn't common for a female cat to spray but they still can do it.
I take it your sister has had the cat for a while before she started spraying? If so something must be causing the problem, did the cat get checked out at the vet for medical problems?
Has there been any changes at home to upset the cat (other than being kicked out) ?
There are lots of ways to try and resolve the problem, but it would take time and a careing owner to suss it all out, neither of which this cat seems to have :?.
Is the cat Spayed? How old is she?

Claire m
24-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Well the thing is my sister had another baby 3years ago and this is when it all started, my sister did try with abby but just gave up and to be honset with you i'm discusted that my sister has thrown abby out, Abby is such a loving cat, she has been spayed and she is about 8 years old.

Samz5
24-01-2007, 12:03 PM
ahh well theres the problem, poor cat.
I know all to well how frustrating it is when a family member doesn't look after an animal properly, it puts you in a difficult position.

I don't know what to advise, if your sister gave enough time and patience she might well have been able to sort it out, though it might not be possible with a small child to look after :?, the problem won't resolve while to cats shut out, might even make it worse.

Sounds like a new home would be good but how long will it take to find a new home? She can't be left out in the cold, poor Abby

Claire m
24-01-2007, 12:15 PM
It should only take me a day or two to find abby a new home even if i have to pay for her to be rehomed i would, oh well heres to findiing abby a happy and warm place to live, thanks for all ya help.

Samz5
24-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Let us know how it goes, hope she finds a great new home!

Fran
24-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Female cats can spray to mark their territory in a similar way entire Tom's do. If you can associate the starting to spray with a particular change in circumstance then the likely cause would be the cat's stress at the change. In this instance, I would have been inclined to give the Feliway plug ins a try....it does sound like she needs a new loving home. Good luck with this and do let us know how she gets on..

Jac
24-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Aww what a shame poor wee thing. It's too cold to be shut out. I really hope you get Abby a home soon. Good luck.

alexgirl73
24-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Poor baby. Good on you for trying so hard to help her. I agree that the best thing for her would be a new home with someone who has the time and patience to help her. Let us know how you get on.

charliebubs
24-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Definitely sounds like a behavioural problem to me, and ties in with the birth of your sister's new baby.
It sounds as though re-homing would be the best thing to do for Abby. She cannot be kept out in the cold.

This happened with our old family cat who was a female and had never sprayed until my dad got a new girlfriend!! She clearly didn't approve!! Sadly, she got rehomed as dad prefered to get rid of the cat rather than the girlfriend. Better for the poor cat though.

Abby may not spray in her new home, as she's probably doing it as a sign of stress and once that stress has been removed she may be okay.

Claire m
24-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all your advice and support, i have sent an email, to a cat trust who rehome cats but have had the email sent back so i think i will give them a tinkel.xxx

Claire m
24-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Well things are not looking too good at the mo for Abby every where i have rung has no room for her, does any one know of some where in the essex area that may be able to help.

sammy
24-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi Claire,

Try here:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/essex.html

Good Luck!

Claire m
24-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that sammy.