PDA

View Full Version : Pass

Sweet
24-01-2007, 09:17 AM
I cannot get the vision out of my head.....two beautiful cats sitting in a clinical white box with people walking straight past them, maybe stopping a while to tickle their noses or scritch their ears.....

Poor loves, maybe they cannot help doing their number 1's and 2's everywhere - in my heart I know Ive tried and tried and tried - its tearing me apart this morning.....

I awoke lying in number 1's, a wet quilt for me, and number 2's everywhere again, well not everywhere, just upstairs in my bedroom and on the landing, all the normal places.

This post is rambling, sorry.

Sorry Misty and Jac - I have failed you both, failed to give you your forever home and now you have to face that clinical white box and people passing you by...

I pray and pray and pray when you go into the Rescue, someone out there will love you both as much as me, and I always will love you.

Your broken hearted Mummy x

yola
24-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Oh Julie - I had no idea you were having such terrible messing problems with the new additions. Was your ex having similar problems with them?

I think possibly Misty and Jac will do better in a household where there are fewer cats . . .

It must have been a heartwrenchingly difficult decision to make - I'm so sorry you were faced with having to make it :(

dinahsmum
24-01-2007, 09:50 AM
If they were OK at your ex's please ask him to take them back. Cats will cope without a huge amount of human interaction if they are in a home they feel secure.

So sorry Julie

Fran
24-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I am so sorry Julie, I had no idea you were having problems with Misty and Jac :( Did they do this at your ex's?

Rosie
24-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I had this problem with two rescues (12 weeks old when I got them). I tried for six months but things were only getting worse and as awful as it sounds I started to dislike them. If they had been out they would run straight upstairs and poo on my bed and wee on my worktops. I had to take them back I just couldn't cope with it:( . That was 10 years ago since when I have got Rosie and now little (not so little anymore) Alfie. They are both brilliant cats and very very clean (touch wood). I have read about this problem on other cat forums and no one seems to have an answer.

dinahsmum
24-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Isn't the cat psychology that they are feeling insecure so have to go somewhere they feel 'safe' (your bedroom, with lots of concentrated 'you' smells and fewer distractions) to eliminate?
I'm sorry, I don't know how to combine dealing with the issue and giving them a reasonable quality of life too.

Mags
24-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear you've been having these problems Julie ....... did you ex ever mention they had problems like this? If not, I would say it could be caused by the upheaval for them being moved to a new place with several other cats.:?

I agree with DM, try to get you ex to take them back where they were in surroundings they felt comfortable....... with no threat from other cats.....

alexgirl73
24-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Julie so sorry to hear that things have come to this. If your ex can't take them back at least you know that you tried your very best for them and that they will find a home soon which will be just right for them. ((HUGS)) xx

Fran
24-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I guess it's too late now if they are going today but I wondered if you had tried the Feliway plug ins. They can sometimes be useful in situations of this nature...

Jac
24-01-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm so sorry. ((((((((())))))) Hugs

Sweet
24-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words....

I am having a very difficult day, I stopped crying once at work, but started again as soon as I came in home.

Both are still with me, I have spoken to my ex. on several occassions today, he will help to rehome them, he does not want them into Rescue any more than I do.

I am hoping to rehome them into an enviroment where they able to retire so to speak, and be safe and more importantly happy.

I think they are both happy here, they get on well with my other cats, both can be shy at times.

I had thought of Feliway - Fran - do you think this will help????? If I thought for a minute it would I would get it urgently - Where from though????

As to the messing......my ex. said at times they would, here its every day somewhere or other, but it did not stop and will not stop me loving them.

Where can I get Feliway???

Julie x

Jac
24-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Julie, Your local vet should have it. Not sure but I think Pets at home have it as well. Good Luck ((((()))))) Hugs Jac xx

Sweet
24-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I have now spoken with my Vet...

They have the plug ins and spray in stock, so I am hopefully going to get there tonight and get it picked up.

It could take 2 weeks to work, but I am prepared to give this a go, if it means they can stay with me and my family and not go elsewhere.

I am to get them into a room and keep them confined in there for a week - again this will be hard for me to see them there all alone but if it works it will be a good job.

Julie x

Jac
24-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Thats brilliant Julie I really hope it works. I know of the brother so to speak product for dogs has a good rate of sucsess. Fingers crossed.

Sweet
24-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Yes, fingers and paws crossed - I really hope this works x

Jac
24-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Please keep us posted.

dinahsmum
24-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here too. Remember the good wether is coming and they can go out more.

Julie - don't suffer this alone. Why didn't you tell us of the situation? A problem shared is a problem halved etc ....
Take care x

John
24-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi Julie....if you do have to take them to a rescue please take them to Bath cats and dogs home ..or Holly lodge..there a lot better than Bristol cats and dogs

john

alexgirl73
24-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Fully agree with DM Julie, this place is worth its weight in gold when it comes to helping with problems! Will be thinking of you over the next wee while and keep us posted on how the feliway goes, so hoping it works. ((hugs))

Mags
24-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I hope the Feliway will help with the problem Julie ......... full marks to you for giving them another chance :smt023

Please remember your friends on Catsey are always here to offer suggestions and help in difficult situations like this ...... you do not have to suffer the worry alone .... ((((hugs))))

Fran
24-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I have everything crossed that the Feliway works Julie. Please let us know how things are going and let us help support you through this x

Sweet
24-01-2007, 08:12 PM
I have just got back from the Vets...

I have sprayed everywhere with Feliway and have the plug in plugged into my bedroom which is normally where they are alot anyhow, this will be their home for the next week.

I have moved boxes in there for them to hide or play, I have moved their litter tray, I just need to get a different litter, the Vet didnt seem to think the wood based one was the answer, she seemed to prefer the gravel type?

I know it will take a while for this stuff to work, they are currently under my bed. Probably wondering why they have been shut in - normally they would be on the stairs watching on an evening.

Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Fingers and paws crossed

Love, Julie x

Fran
24-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Julie, did your Ex use wood based litter? I only ask because when I got Porsha she was used to wood based, so I switched all my cats to wood based but Clooney who had never used wood based before absolutely refused to use it and used to do his business on the Bathroom floor, so now I have gone back to gravel and everyone is happy...just a thought..

Sweet
24-01-2007, 08:37 PM
The Vet suggested Gravel...what brand do you use? My ex. probably only used Tesco own x

Fran
24-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I like the lightweight ones. My favourite is Asda's own lightweight, but Clooney will use any gravel litter but will not use the wood pellets..Perhaps if they are used to gravel then they are like Clooney and refuse to use the wood based litter? It's worth trying gravel Julie. Another thing with Clooney is, he will not use a litter tray if it is quite soiled. The trays have to be spotless for him :roll: So maybe you could try switching to the gravel and fully changing the trays every day? A pain I know but it has worked for Clooney. Good luck x

Fran
24-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Something else I have thought of Sweet, regarding the peeing on your bed. Are they both doing this or just one of them? The only time I had a problem with this was with Clooney again, when he had cystitis..so what I am saying is do you think there might be a medical cause?

alexgirl73
24-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I only use Asdas own lightweight one too Julie, and have had no problems at all with it. I find it great value. The other thing to check is where you have their litter tray. Is it in an open place or more sheltered and where was it placed at your ex's house?

Fran
24-01-2007, 09:00 PM
The other thing to check is where you have their litter tray. Is it in an open place or more sheltered and where was it placed at your ex's house?

Good point Alex. Also, do you use covered litter trays or open ones? and what did your Ex have?

dandysmom
24-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Julie, wish you'd shared this with us...I'm so sorry you've been having such a awful time...hope and pray that the Feliway will help ...and bless you for giving them a second chance...(((hugs)))...

charliebubs
24-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Aww Sweet, I didn't realise either that you were having such problems. I know how hard that can be.

Well done for giving them a second chance and fingers crossed that the Feliway works, as well as all the other suggestions from Fran etc.

Good luck & keep us posted. :):):):)

(((((hugs)))))
Charlie
xx

Kim
24-01-2007, 11:16 PM
So sorry to hear you are having such awful problems Julie.

As well as the feliway Bach rescue remedy is good, a few drops in their water is probably the best way or over their food. ((hugs))

Sweet
25-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Thank you again for the replies while I was away from the computer...

I used to use the Asdas own, Tiger in the purple wrapper, or do you mean the real cheapie one?

The little tray is now under my dressing table but we had major accidents last night :(.

My bed was soaked again, and we ended up sleeping in sleeping bags and we will have to turn the matress back over today and wash and clean properly, my Partner wondered if it had panicked them shutting them in ?

This morning Misty dirtied in the hallway :( x

alexgirl73
25-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Oh Julie!! I'm sure this was a result of a change of circumstances with them again, hopefully they will settle over the next few days with the Feliway. Kim mentioned the Bachs, I swear by that stuff. It might be worth a try as well. x

Sweet
25-01-2007, 09:09 AM
I have Bach's I use it myself at times, I will pop some into their water bowl - thank you, as for Cystitus (spelling) apart from weeing are there any other symptoms? x

alexgirl73
25-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Sometimes there is blood in the urine too, but it can be stressed related so the feliway should help with that if so. It might be worth mentioning it to your vet just to be on the safe side, and cats who have cystitis often wont use their litter tray.

Sweet
25-01-2007, 09:16 AM
There is no blood in her urine x

alexgirl73
25-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Thats good, but not always an indicator. Does she appear to be in discomfort when weeing?

Fran
25-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Oh Julie :( Keep with it for a few days. Get some gravel litter - it's the purple one I use too. I think the Feliway takes a while to take effect and the Bach's is worth a try too. I have everything crossed that things start to improve. Have you got a room that you could shut them in that wouldn't involve your bed or other expensive soft furnishings getting ruined?

Sweet
25-01-2007, 09:29 AM
There seems to be no discomfort at all, she tends to do it when I am not looking, last night she looked so worried at me, but I will never shout at any of them x

Sweet
25-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Not really Fran, I chose the bedroom - its normally where they are, saying that I just went and looked for her, shes hiding under the bath :( x

Fran
25-01-2007, 09:35 AM
The Feliway should help given time.

I heard about this cat litter designed for cats that don't use their litter box...not sure if it is available here in the UK or not but perhaps worth looking into?

http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-attract-p-5.html

Sweet
25-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I have sent off an enquiry to them - thank you for the link.

I am off to work now, see you all later x

dinahsmum
25-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Or World's Best litter http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/default.asp?in_section=worlds_best&page=worlds_best
now available at Pets at Home, I believe.

Julie - to make them feel more secure, that this is really their place: -
- take a clean cloth (hankie or similar) for each cat
- rub her around the 'eyebrow' region, with the cloth. This is the area where cats have most of their scent glands
- rub the cloth around the walls at 'cat's nose' level. Pay particular attention to external corners and door frames. Do sofas, beds etc as well.
- when you are ready to reintroduce them to the other cats, do the rubbing again and rub the new cats' smell onto the older ones and vice versa.

The idea of this is that all the smells are mingled and Misty and Jac just smell of 'the house' rather than having a stranger's scent.

Good luck
and it's time for you to receive (((hugs)))

Fran
25-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Julie, I have been on another forum and found a UK supplier of Cat Attract...

http://www.rlpetproducts.co.uk/

Loads of the members over there where having very similar problems to yourself and they all said this litter worked! It is by all accounts expensive but apparantly once you have got them using it then you can go back to their normal litter and just sprinkle a bit of this on top..

I took these from a couple of people who had posted in the thread..

we use Cat Attract and I will never use anything else, because it is brilliant stuff!
http://www.siamesecatchat.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
It is expensive, but since it has stopped any "accidents" taking place on the beds(!!) I don't care! http://www.siamesecatchat.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Having said that, because it clumps so well, a bag seems to last for ages!

I use Cat Attract because I was having terrible problems with at least one of my cats crapping on the floor
http://www.siamesecatchat.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
every time I went out there would be at least one poo on the floor and sometimes 3 or 4, if I was out all day! http://www.siamesecatchat.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
It was really getting to me...... It's expensive but it's worth it, ten times over!

It sounds worthwhile giving it a go Julie?? I was also thinking about Elaine and the Diva and wondering if she has tried this litter?

Jac
25-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Julie just another thought (you'll be getting fed up of them:D ) While there locked in have you put a radio on for them? Then they wont feel so alone. Just a thought.

Sweet
25-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you again for the posts whilst I have been at work and the funeral, and my Daughters meeting at School.

Came home to find both Misty and Jac asleep on the stairs :shock: seems they got out of my bedroom, I know the door isnt brilliant, but to my knowledge after a quick lookie when I dashed upstairs - no messes!

I will look at that link Fran in a mo, I dont care how expensive this stuff is.....if it helps, its worth it!

I certainly needed that hug - thank you x

Sweet
25-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I have ordered the above Fran, need to wait for them to ring and take payment now, I really hope they do switch as I do not have a credit card.

Fingers and paws crossed x

tilly
25-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Buster ped on the carpet a couple of time and it turned out that he had cystitis ( can't spell it either).
He is now better. I have also moved his tray away from wher his sisters is and he seems happier with this. not sure if it would help you but it might be worth a try.

Sally

Fran
25-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I have ordered the above Fran, need to wait for them to ring and take payment now, I really hope they do switch as I do not have a credit card.

Fingers and paws crossed x

I have everything crossed here Julie. Do let me know how it goes...

Kazz
26-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Hello Sorry not caught up with this.
Sorry you are having problems like this agree with the other you should have SAID SOMETHING.
Sorry to ask what I should know but bear with me I am dense. :)

1. How many cats have you got?
2. How many litter trays (have to say my Cleo only uses gravel sort of cat litter won't entertain wood based)
3. I wonder if the other cats are using thier trays and Misty and Jac just don't like it.
5. Did they go outside at your Ex's and can they go outside at yours?

I know they are seemingly okay withht your other cats but cats have a tolerance level where to feel safe in a mutli cat enviroment they need to reassure themselves with their own scent which could be why the weeing.
There again if they did this when they lived with your Ex it could be they just have never got the hang of it - I work on the basis the majority of cats are clean by nature.

Sorry for the questions but we will find something that works trust us.:)
Karen

Amie
26-01-2007, 12:24 AM
When Oliver was Younger he used to wee on my Bed, someone mentioned that I should feed him on my Bed as a Cat wont eat were it toilets, it worked he never wet on the Bed after that.

I kept on feeding him on my Bed for about a Month.

Sweet
26-01-2007, 04:36 PM
I was so pre occupied with Mau missing, I forgot to post to say, we had a good night - no little accidents (now I have wrote that - they probably will now have one :roll: - oh well! x

Fran
26-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I am glad you had a good night Julie, really hope it continues x

Mags
26-01-2007, 04:42 PM
I hope it continues Julie.......

Sweet
26-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Thank you x

alexgirl73
26-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Having a better day so far, hope it continues.

dandysmom
26-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Hope it continues to go well, Julie!

Sweet
27-01-2007, 04:02 PM
:roll: I knew I should not of said we were having a good day yesterday with Misty and Jac, Misty had a little accident - she looked at me sheepishly again, bless her x

dinahsmum
27-01-2007, 04:17 PM
:roll: I knew I should not of said we were having a good day yesterday with Misty and Jac, Misty had a little accident - she looked at me sheepishly again, bless her x
Julie - I'm sure you've seen Moli's recipe for removing the smell from carpets etc. If not, here it is again - might help repeat events?
Mix 1 part water to 3 parts vinegar. Then dampen the area that was urinated on, with the vinegar-water solution. DON'T BLOT. Here is where most people go wrong. Place something semi-heavy that won't absorb the solution, like a large laminated book, on top of the area you are treating. Let the spot dry. Most people don't put anything over it and then the vinegar just evaporates without taking away the urine smell. But if you do place something on top of it the vinegar will have time to neutralize and evaporate the urine. It will take some time for it to dry, several hours. When it is all dry treat the area again, but with 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar. Don't forget to put something over it. After it has dried for the second time, the urine smell should be gone. It may take a couple of days for the vinegar smell to go away. This really does work though

Sweet
27-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Thank you for that....I am going to copy and print out x

alexgirl73
27-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Never seen that before DM, but will make a very careful note of it. Broxi did it in my dining room once and I spent weeks trying everything on the market to get rid of the smell.