PDA

View Full Version : does anyone take their cat out on a harness?

jenny
24-01-2007, 12:08 AM
since we;re getting a bengal, i had collectively decided he would be an indoor cat, however on talking to the breeder, she says she takes her male bengal out on a harness and long line to let him run round the garden.

however, we dont have a garden, but do have a nice piece of garden type land thats in the middle of all the houses.

anyway, i had considered trying to perhaps get him used to a harness so he can still enjoy the outdoors, what do u think? is this easily done? or a bad idea incase we meet another dog and he freaks out?

Mags
24-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I took my previous cat in the garden on a harness after he had broken his pelvis... he didn't like the experience very much but I suppose with time he would have got used to it.

I think Hreow takes Rover out on a harness........

smudgley
24-01-2007, 12:40 AM
We have used a harness on our young cat, when we take her away with us in the caravan. Just to stretch her legs & give her some fresh air, she walks ok on it. I think you'd need to start conditioning the kitten to it from a young age & be consistent when using it & always try & make it fun or at least a pleasurable experience.....When we advise people with dogs about introducing them to a headcollar, we advise them to put it on at mealtimes, or to put it on & then feed treats, not sure if this would work for a cat, but may be an idea.:? Basically you want to make it "all good" in those early days... As Mags said Rover goes walkies & always seems very contented from the photos we've seen.:)

dandysmom
24-01-2007, 03:14 AM
All of my cats have been harnessed trained except Leia. Very easy, especially if you start them as kittens, but an adult can learn to do it too...Patches had been an outdoor cat before I re-homed her and she took to it quite well. Don't expect them to walk like a dog...they amble along, stop and sniff things, sit down, etc. Meeting dogs can be a bit scary, but most dog owners are considerate and will cross the street if they see they're frightening the cat...sometimes large noisy trucks or motorcycles will spook them also; rarely had that problem. I personally have always used a figure 8 harness; know that's not what Hreow uses for Rover, but always worked well for me. Mine always looked forward to their excursions outdoors...makes a nice stimulating change for an indoor cat...eat grass, watch birds close up, etc! If I can help with any questions, please PM me; glad to help!

dinahsmum
24-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Hreow takes her Rover out on a harness Jenny. He's an Abyssinian. She's got real problems with her shoulder at present and can't post much but you could try a PM if you want to ask her something specific. Or search for some of her great pics and commentary.
When we moved here (4+ years ago) we used harnesses for Tizzie and Mini for a week or so till we were sure they had got used to the new house and garden. They were both mature adults and, to my surprise, didn't bother at all.
I think Harvey will like it - usual advice about starting gently, protecting him from frights etc etc - you know all that.

jenny
24-01-2007, 11:39 AM
ok, so it sounds promising. we often take indie to the park 2 mins round the corner to play frisby. would be nice to be able to bring harvey there too on a harness so he isnt cooped up indoors all the time. hes unlikely to meet other dogs off lead there, cept for the odd one every now and then. i wouldnt walk him down the road, so he'd have to miss out on the longer walks :D
but he could come for a sniff down the park while indie plays frisby

dinahsmum
24-01-2007, 12:31 PM
There you go Jenny! http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15220&highlight=Rover

Samz5
24-01-2007, 12:38 PM
My mum adopted a cat from a rescue place who had never been outside before, so on the cats first outing she was on a harness, she had no problems at all, I think Marla (the cat) was more interested in what was outside than the actual harness.

jenny
24-01-2007, 12:58 PM
had anyone got a link for a decent kitten harness?

pets at home sell harnesses, but they dont look very good.

dinahsmum
24-01-2007, 01:00 PM
A member here makes super stuff. Em/Ems/Emma? - she made the prizes for the picture competitions.
Can you find her from that?
Sorry Em/Ems/Emma :oops: - put it down to my age!

Fran
24-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I always thought that I would harness train my Meezers when I got them but hubby is building a big secure run in the garden for them to go out on warmer days so it wasn't necessary but if I didn't have the run then I would have definitely harness trained them :D

Fran
24-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Here's a thread to Rover in his kittycat Boutique harness that he got from Emm on here :D

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15545

Tanya
24-01-2007, 01:13 PM
I walk Oli on a harness because he is an indoor cat. Mind you, we get outside and he sits for ages and sniffs and looks around him. It never ends up being much of a walk! But Oli enjoys it anyway!

Oli's first harness (and the one im still using because we dont go out much) was from Wilkinsons. It doesnt look that great, but it does the job! I do agree the harnesses in Pets at Home are not very nice & they are rather expensive for what they are too!

Goodluck in your search for a nice harness! :)

Mags
24-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Here's a link to the Kittykat Boutique ........

http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/

charliebubs
24-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I used to walk Kuta on a harness when we lived in Australia. We lived in a large flat there and she was an indoor cat, apart from our trips down to the communal gardens on her harness. She became quite well known to all the other residents!!!!

I've seen the harnesses at Pets at Home and they don't look that good. I got mine in Aus, so can't help any more than that, but make sure you get a really good, well fitting one.

Keep us posted too!!! :)

jenny
24-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Here's a link to the Kittykat Boutique ........

http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/

cant seem to find harnesses on that :(

Fran
24-01-2007, 09:57 PM
cant seem to find harnesses on that :(

Perhaps Emm just makes them to special order then?? Try emailing her through the web site and asking because I know Hreow got Rover's harness from her.