PDA

View Full Version : Croaky voice

alexgirl73
23-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Teddie has developed a very croaky meaow today adn I'm not sure if this is something I should be worried about:? . Obviously OH has been bad this last week, sore throat etc and I'm wondering whether it's possible she has caught something from him (for a change)? Can cats catch human bugs or not? She doesn't have any other symptoms ie sneezing (well no more than she normally does with her little flat nose), third eye on show, signs of fever etc. She did bring up a hairball yesterday (her first one), but didn't show signs of a bad throat until today! Any ideas folks?

Moli
23-01-2007, 10:10 PM
My old exotic, leo often sounds croaky when he meows, and grunts a lot too, wonder if its just the flat nose??

alexgirl73
23-01-2007, 10:14 PM
It could be I suppose, but it just sounds so different from yesterday!! When she yowled at me this morning when I was putting her fish in the micro, I nearly dropped it in surprise, turned to look at her and said 'WHAT was that?', lol!

dandysmom
23-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Sorry, Alex, no ideas; but think it's rare for cats to catch people bugs (aside from ringworm!). Dandy had a croaky meow, but that was just his voice. Is she still eating OK and pooing OK? Any luck in finding arrowroot?

alexgirl73
23-01-2007, 10:21 PM
She is still eating for Britain Eileen. Her poos have been a little runny of late, but that was more to do with the fact that I tried giving her a little piece of turkey, rather than chicken, to see if she could tolerate that. She didn't go completely runny but was still wet. Can't find arrowroot anywhere. Tried the big supermarkets beside me, Holland & Barrett and Julian Graves stores but no luck. Does anyone shop in Sainsburys? It's the only one I haven't tried and if anyone is going tomorrow can they have a look for me and see if they sell it before I trek over to my 'local' one!

Moli
23-01-2007, 10:28 PM
She is still eating for Britain Eileen. Her poos have been a little runny of late, but that was more to do with the fact that I tried giving her a little piece of turkey, rather than chicken, to see if she could tolerate that. She didn't go completely runny but was still wet. Can't find arrowroot anywhere. Tried the big supermarkets beside me, Holland & Barrett and Julian Graves stores but no luck. Does anyone shop in Sainsburys? It's the only one I haven't tried and if anyone is going tomorrow can they have a look for me and see if they sell it before I trek over to my 'local' one!
We hav a chemist that sells all kinds of those things Alex, will have a look for you tomorrow...;)

alexgirl73
23-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Chemist!! No-one said to try there, lol! Will have a look tomorrow as well Moli!

dandysmom
23-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Have you tried natural food stores or herbalists, if there are any around you ? Here, I've seen it in the baking sections of the supermarket near the flour and cornstarch, etc.

alexgirl73
23-01-2007, 10:42 PM
That was where I looked Eileen and not one place had it. When I went to Asda (Wal-Mart on your side of the pond) the girl said they used to stock it but not any more. Very frustrating 'cause I'm desperate to try it on her and see if it helps.

Mags
23-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Alex, they sell it in Sainsbury's (or did!)....... with the baking products. If you can't see any tomorrow, I'll get you some........ :)

alexgirl73
23-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks Mags, will head over there tomorrow. Didn't want to unless I had to, 'cause it's a bit out of my way, but will give it a try.

Mags
23-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks Mags, will head over there tomorrow. Didn't want to unless I had to, 'cause it's a bit out of my way, but will give it a try.
I'll try and get it tomorrow for you if it will save you a trip Alex..........

alexgirl73
23-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Nah it's ok Mags, but thanks for offering. It gives me an excuse to have a look round the retail park, lol!

dinahsmum
24-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Alex - I've finally opened the cupboard & found that Tree Bark Powder (basically Slippery Elm) I promised you a week ago :oops: . I'll go to the Post Office later today. Hope it may help - both in providing nourishment and stopping up!
PS - I don't think cats 'catch' anything from us. Maybe the cold has got to her - or maybe fetching up the hairball strained her voice a bit.
PPS - Powder and arrowroot winging their way to you now. Hope they work and Teddie is soon a 20lb monster!