PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Pregnancy

RRR
23-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Can someone fill me in on what is dangerous for pregnant women with cats? And why?

Mags
23-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Toxoplasmosis is the biggest danger to pregnant women , this link will give you more information on how it's contracted.......

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/archive/000196.html

Tanya
23-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Just found this...

Pregnant women need to be aware that toxoplasmosis (TOX-so-plaz-MO-sis) can cause problems with pregnancy, including abortion. Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is carried by cats and is passed in their feces (stool). However, people are more likely to get toxoplasmosis from eating undercooked meat or gardening than from contact with pet cats. By following simple safety tips, pregnant women can reduce the risk of getting toxoplasmosis from cats.

If you own a cat, have a non-pregnant person change the litter box every day. If there is no one else to change the litter box, wear gloves and wash hands with soap and running water after changing the litter.
Risk may be reduced if the litter box is changed every day.
Keep cats indoors.
Avoid adopting or handling stray cats.
Feed cats only canned or dried commercial cat food, never undercooked or raw meat.
Do not bring a new cat into your house that might have been an outdoor cat or might have been fed raw meat.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pregnant.htm

If you go to the website there is an informative brochure for pregnant women.

Hope this is what you wanted to know :)

charliebubs
23-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Yep, toxo is the only hazard I'm aware of. :)

RRR
24-01-2007, 10:35 AM
When it talks about changing litter trays does that mean to change THE ENTIRE litter tray or just to scoop it out every day?

I dont feed any raw meat just tinned fish, does that have the same effect?

My kitties are indoor kitties so does that mean they will be at less of a risk of carrying toxoplasmosis?

Thanks so much for all your help, we are planning on starting a family this year so I am doing my research!

alexgirl73
24-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, I had cats during both of my pregnancies with no probs. All I did differently was got OH to do litter tray duty and that was it. I fed mine exactly the same as always and just used an antibacterial cleaner for any kitchen surfaces. Good luck with starting your family (and enjoy the practicing, lol)

Jac
24-01-2007, 01:45 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: Alex

alexgirl73
24-01-2007, 01:46 PM
What!!!!!!!!!!lol!!

RRR
26-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks, that puts my mind at rest! OH knows he's gonna be on litter tray duties for a while - I did mention to him to start practising his scooping technique how but he wasn't having any of it! lol

yola
26-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, just to put your mind at rest, if you've had cats for some time it's quite likely that you've already had toxoplasmosis without even realising it (mild, flu-like symptoms). You'll therefore have built up the antibodies to resist you catching it again. I've continued to scoop the litter trays throughout both my pregnancies with no adverse effects at all.

Of course, err on the side of caution, if you have to do it, wear gloves or as you say, get someone else to do it. But don't go daft like some of the people on Bounty (preg. forum) and rehome your cats in wild panic :shock:

RRR
26-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Gosh I would never rehome the kitties for that reason, I think thats ludicrous!

The kittens are only 3 months so we haven't had them that long so I doubt I've got any immunity yet but I will be being very careful when the time comes.

Out of interest - how do you stop a baby playing with cat litter!! :lol:

Mags
26-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Gosh I would never rehome the kitties for that reason, I think thats ludicrous!
! Out of interest - how do you stop a baby playing with cat litter! :lol:
Keep the litter tray well out of reach of the baby !;)

RRR
26-01-2007, 03:58 PM
:lol: But the tray is on the floor!!!

Phil
26-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Try one with a lid and a door.

Fran
26-01-2007, 04:03 PM
:lol: But the tray is on the floor!!!

When mine were babies, I had a litter tray upstairs and a safety gate at the bottom of the stairs so the babies couldn't get up and I had one in the kitchen with a safety gate into the kitchen also ;)