PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a catflap into a glass back door?

Luke
22-01-2007, 09:05 PM
We have 'french windows' or whatever the eck they are..and the patio door is the two glass panel type doors.
Now..we've been thinking for a while about fitting a cat flap so the moggies can come and go at will instead of having to have windows open and freezing, my question is-can you fit a catflap into glass?
How?
Who would you go to to see if they could fit it?
Anything in general would be appreciated:)

EmmaG
22-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Yes you can fit a catflap to a glass door, however you have to have the glass cut by a glazzier, and I believe you have to purchase a special cat flaps that will fit onto the glass.

I will have a google and come back ;)

EmmaG
22-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Looking at the info on the Staywell site, I think all of their catflaps can be fitted to glass.

Have a look at the fitting instrucitons here Luke

http://www.staywell.co.uk/pages/small.php#

Luke
22-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks very much Emma,i think you may have saved many ear bashings for not being prompt enough to let the lady mucks out at their wish:wink::lol:

Sweet
22-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Off to read that link too, its either in glass or pvc here x

Moli
22-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Years ago we had a cat flap, but had a glass door, so Hubby put it in the wall beside the door, a flap on the outside, a little tunnel, and a flap on the inside, it worked a treat...

Sweet
22-01-2007, 10:35 PM
That sounds like a good idea Moli x

Mags
22-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Doesn't Kazz have a cat flap in her wall as well ?

I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong! :lol:

John
22-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I had a builder friend put a cat flap thro the wall about 10 years ago..works very well Millie seems happy with it. and I dont have to worry if there outside trying to get in

john

Fran
22-01-2007, 10:56 PM
I know it's possible Luke and like Emma says staywell do one for glass but I have no experience of them myself

Kazz
22-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeap I have a cat flap in my wall too built when the wall was built well its a porch wall and did not want to put a cat flap in the door or anything so its built into the wall.
Well the cat flap was screwed onto a farmework of wood then the wood put into the brickwork as it was being built. It is a staywell one for brick walls.
Here are a couple of pictures I took for someone before excuse the dirt on the inside one Oscar was alive then.
Inside
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/inside.jpg

Outside

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/outside.jpg

Karen

Kazz
22-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Must get a better couple, they look manky.

dinahsmum
23-01-2007, 09:12 AM
We had a catflap in a glass door in our old house. As Emma said, the only slightly difficult thing is getting the glass cut. We got ours from Homebase with a glazing unit, and chose reinforced glass (the one with criss-cross wires in it). I guess you could chose lamonated or whatever. Once that's done you replace the existing glass with the 'perforated' glass and the actual cat flap just snaps together through the hole - like putting in an earring with a butterfly back. The cut surface is completely enclosed in the plastic of the flap.

Don't have a cat flap here but wil make at least a pophole in the 'personal door' to the garage, so the boys can get out of the rain if they get stuck outside.