PDA

View Full Version : Think I will have to forget losing the litter tray

Donna
22-01-2007, 06:45 PM
So annoyed.

Got home from work today and no sign of Misty or Chloe. But then I heard a cat come downstairs and assumed it would be one or the other... WRONG!! :( :( :(

A large tabby cat that has been coming into my garden and spraying and coming near the house was actually upstairs in my house whilst I was out at work.

I AM SO ANNOYED. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now I have to lock my cats in and so I now cannot continue the cat flap training in the hope of losing the litter tray.

Its not fair at all :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mags
22-01-2007, 06:53 PM
That's one of the reasons I keep the cat flap locked at night and when we are out for any long periods of time. We used to have a cat that came in as if it owned the place :roll: Now that the flap is locked when no-one is home, he's got tired of trying and we don't see him anymore ! :D

Donna
22-01-2007, 06:55 PM
That's one of the reasons I keep the cat flap locked at night and when we are out for any long periods of time. We used to have a cat that came in as if it owned the place :roll: Now that the flap is locked when no-one is home, he's got tired of trying and we don't see him anymore ! :D

All well and good if you are happy to have a litter tray forever more - but I dont want one!!!! Why should I have to compromise????????:roll:

Moli
22-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Can understand your annoyance Donna....I had the same problem when Chancer first appeared, he kept spraying round my back door, and in the utilityroom......My cats started to smell too....

Kim
22-01-2007, 07:40 PM
We have a black cat that regularly comes in and steals our cats food, thankfully hasn't sprayed though. However, my Birman Misty has been the one to go into other people's houses too. Once he was trapped in someones kitchen for a whole week-end and they were very cross to say the least. Cats will be cats, we can't control them like dogs.

smudgley
22-01-2007, 08:01 PM
That's why we lost both our cat flaps when we had the building work done. Too many unwanted guests.:roll:
It's not a problem for me, mine go out in & out when they want to, they just sit by the door.

Fran
22-01-2007, 08:02 PM
It's is difficult but it is one of the problems of having catflaps. All I can suggest is trying the magnetic catflaps..

smudgley
22-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Someone told me recently that someone is manufacuring a cat flap that can read microchips & only lets in chips it is asked to allow in....
Good idea if it works :?

Fran
22-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Someone told me recently that someone is manufacuring a cat flap that can read microchips & only lets in chips it is asked to allow in....
Good idea if it works :?

Yes I heard about those Smudgley, will be interesting to see if and how they work...

Mags
22-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes I heard about those Smudgley, will be interesting to see if and how they work...
................... and how much they cost! :roll::D

dinahsmum
22-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Don't see why they should be any/much more than the special ones available now

dandysmom
22-01-2007, 09:00 PM
If the microchip sensitive flaps work it might be the perfect solution to your intruder problem......are you going to look into it?

Sweet
22-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm up and down like a yo yo sometimes here LOL - they know they have me at their beck and call ;) x

smudgley
22-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Don't see why they should be any/much more than the special ones available now

But if they have to read the microchip, there will need to be a scanning device in there,which is compatible to all types of chips, I don't think they'll be cheap.

Donna
23-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a magnetic catflap at the moment but I had taped down the magnet bit as Misty couldnt use the flap.

Now that Misty has learnt to come in (with no magnet) I have now put magnets on the cats and un-taped the magnet catch.

Chloe (after a few attempts) used the flap so she is ok, but Misty now cant use the flap at all as she feels resistance. She sat outside for two hours today rather than try and come in.

As the flap was locked today whilst I was out buying more magnets, Chloe decided to pee on one of my dining room chairs.

This problem has to be sorted out; otherwise I will just lock them out all day.

smudgley
23-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh dear Donna. Did Chloe have access to the tray today when she'd peed on the chair?

Donna
23-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh dear Donna. Did Chloe have access to the tray today when she'd peed on the chair?

Yes she has access but doesnt like using it if Misty has used it, but as Misty uses any tray she can find they tend to all smell of Misty so if Chloe cant get outside she pees all over my house.

Tis getting a bit beyond the joke now, made worse by the fact I sat on the chair before I noticed the pee and my work suit is now stinking of cat pee (like the rest of my house).

Snoof
24-01-2007, 09:03 AM
That's annoying, Donna. I do think if you let them out as and when you notice they want to go out, you won't have to use the trays as often? And since Chloe is the one with the peeing problem but also the one who can use the catflap, maybe it won't be so terrible if Misty doesn't use it at all? Of course if she uses it to go out but not to come back in it's annoying because you don't want her sitting outside the whole time waiting for you to open the door :?

I hope you find a solution for this soon... Any chance of training Misty to use the flap with some yummies on the other side of it?

Donna
24-01-2007, 10:36 AM
That's annoying, Donna. I do think if you let them out as and when you notice they want to go out, you won't have to use the trays as often? And since Chloe is the one with the peeing problem but also the one who can use the catflap, maybe it won't be so terrible if Misty doesn't use it at all? Of course if she uses it to go out but not to come back in it's annoying because you don't want her sitting outside the whole time waiting for you to open the door :?

I hope you find a solution for this soon... Any chance of training Misty to use the flap with some yummies on the other side of it?

Yes was thinking that as Chloe can go in/out it might solve that problem - and will see today if the magnetic flap holds the other cat!!

Have tried and tried with Misty - with treats, food, cooked fish etc - and she just sits there in the hole of the cat flap looking really stupid :roll: Will keep perservering with her as she learnt to come in without the magnets so maybe in time she can learn to come in with the magnets. :roll: Tis hard though as I keep leaving her ourside for long periods in the hope she will get cold and want to come in.

Donna
26-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Well a couple of days later....

Chloe is using magnetic cat flap whenever she likes day and night. No accidents in the house. No strange cats in the house so far.

Misty not using the flap at all now it is magnetic, but using the tray as usual.

Dont think I will ever get rid of the tray at all, but not so bad now that Chloe doesnt feel she has to stay indoors to do her business.

Saw the tray as the problem before so thought I should take it away, but in fact the problem was that Chloe couldnt get outside when she wanted so she didnt have to use a tray Misty had used.

Calm has been restored..... for the moment!!!

alexgirl73
26-01-2007, 08:35 PM
That's good to hear Donna, compromise all round, lol! Hope it all continues to work ok for you x

Mags
26-01-2007, 09:45 PM
So pleased to hear that it has been sorted Donna ....... sounds like Misty and Chloe are happy with the new arrangements... :D

charliebubs
26-01-2007, 11:16 PM
What good news Donna. Keep us posted. :)