PDA

View Full Version : Cat Microchipping

kado
19-01-2007, 01:58 PM
All of my cats have been micro chipped during when they where neutered or spayed except Simon. I am going to get him chipped will it hurt him he isnt going out by himself at the moment he's to freightened and runs right back in. I feel it is important for him to have done. He has been through a lot since just before december and i dont want to get him too stressed which he is not allowed to do .

smudgley
19-01-2007, 02:23 PM
I microchip dogs & cats & most of the time the microchip slips in very easily & they don't even notice. I have done kittens & puppies at a very young age without any problems.
Occasionally they do feel it & may jump a little, but I think the benefit of getting your cat back if ever he dissapears far outway the discomfort he may experience for a split second.

I also do the lost & found register for my area & most people who call me, & are desperate to get their cat back say that they are not M/C'd & were not wearing any form of ID when they went missing.

If I had a £1 everytime I heard the words.......
"I didn't have him M/C'd because he never goes off" :roll:.
.....................I'd be rich!

Mags
19-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Kado, I feel sure Simon will be fine ;)

I had Cassie chipped last year when I took her for her booster, she is 9 years old and she wasn't any problem at all ......... she didn't flinch, jump or anything.... :D

As Smudgley says it's well worth doing, there is always that slight chance that he may get out one day and having him chipped, you will more likely find him quicker...

charliebubs
19-01-2007, 02:55 PM
My Lily, Bernard and Abi were all chipped when they were awake and were all fine. Bernard and Abi I held whilst it was done (as they came from Wood Green where I was working) and although they gave a little meow it was all over so quickly for them. Lily was done at my vets where they took her off and did it.

It's definitely well worth doing. When Kuta went missing the Pet Log people were really helpful and, although that wasn't how I got her back in the end, I was so glad that she had a chip.

:)

Tanya
19-01-2007, 03:14 PM
When I was at college, i worked part-time in a vets. Lots of people had their cats and dogs micro-chipped with no problems at all. Some advice the vet gave to owners was not to have them microchipped when they were puppies or kittens because when they grow the chip is likely to move and then when they are scanned in future it may be missed.

It is definately well worth doing because on a couple of ocassions cats were bought into the vets, the vet would scan them . The one cat was very lucky because it was chipped, so was successfully reunited with its owner.

Elaine
19-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Bernie and Eva were both micro chipped when they were awake. Bernie made no fuss at all, to the point that the vet actually had to make sure she had done it LOL, Eva on the other hand made a big fuss but then she makes a big fuss out of everything. That said she was wasnt crying as if it hurt her, just her normal grumbling noises.

kado
19-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I will book an appointment at the vets for it to be done asap. I just dont want to hurt him but for a few moments of disscomfort will benefit him for a long time to come.

dinahsmum
19-01-2007, 04:50 PM
The boys had theirs done while they were asleep for neutering but Dinah was done at her first puppy jab and she was a tiddly little thing and didn't even notice.

ATD
16-02-2007, 12:01 AM
will it hurt him he isnt going out by himself at the moment he's to freightened and runs right back in. I feel it is important for him to have done. He has been through a lot since just before december and i dont want to get him too stressed which he is not allowed to do .

but what if he did go out then looked lost some one took him in thinking he was lost and took him to the vets and then no micro-chip, you only have 7days to reclaim you pet, going to a new home or ending up in a rehoming centre will be more stressfull. this is the worst case sinario but you have to think of the whole picture (sorry if i sound harsh i really dont mean to sound that way :) im just not sure how else to but it lol) microchipping is no more stressful than a vacc injection
ATD xxx