PDA

View Full Version : It's on like Donkey Kong...

Snoof
18-01-2007, 08:59 AM
We woke this morning to hear Sashimi scratching at our bedroom door. She brought up all the kittens and there they sat on the landing. When Random got up, bless him, unwillingly :lol: I told him to look behind him and he sat down to watch them... Which caused Sushi to run up to him for snuggles!

They're only four weeks old but they're already fully part of the family. and now they're properly exploring.

I do have a couple of concerns...

Sashimi's favourite spot is at the top of the stairs - she has her bowl and litterbox (and the basket) downstairs. We moved the kittens back downstairs before Hippie left for work, because we were worried about them falling down the stairs - would they? She's currently moving them back upstairs one at a time and I'd hate for them to be in danger. They're still tiny.
If it is a danger (we can't block off the stairs) I'll have to shut her in the back of the house again where she has enough space, but she does get restless (she really loves lying at the top of the stairs).

Secondly, if it's not a danger, do I have to move her litterbox and her food/water upstairs too? She hasn't, as far as we know, started littertraining them yet and they've not started eating wet food yet - but from what I've read that's supposed to happen soon.

Is she just trying to get them to explore, or could she be moving them "permanently"? And what should I do?

Fran
18-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't be happy about the kittens being near the stairs at that age. Would she be happier in your bedroom? Where ever you decide to put her and the babies she is going to need constant access to the litter tray as the kittens will very shortly be learining to use it and of course her food and water. Usually once the kittens start to eat solid food, mum no longer cleans up after them and they very quickly learn to use the tray....It's common for queens to want to move their babies....so I wouldn't worry that she is unhappy/unsettled with the current arrangements just that she feels she know better lol!

CathyW
18-01-2007, 10:12 AM
when my mother cat (years ago) had her babies first of all she gave birth in the bottom of the airing cupboard, tut she then moved them to the bottom of my wardrobe,unfortunatly my partner at the time, well his best jumper got pulled down and it made a cozy bed for the babies LOL. he was livid LOL
sorry i havnt been much help have i??

Snoof
18-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Thankyou very much, Fran! I'll be confining them to the back of the house (which is quite sizable, and most importantly, quite safe). They can't be in my bedroom as I sleep very lightly and if I don't get enough sleep I'm in even more pain than usual... But they'll be able to explore quite happily down here (they seem to like it, anyway) and they'll be near the litterbox and the food/water bowls.

dinahsmum
18-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Sounds like fun - and sounds like good advice from Fran.

Mags
18-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Good advice from Fran - better safe than sorry.....

Sounds like you have your hands full now Snoof, just wait til the mischief starts!:D

Sweet
22-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Aww bless them x

Kazz
22-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Have we got any pictures of the kittens

dinahsmum
22-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Have we got any pictures of the kittens
There you go Kazz http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=18376
(PS - CB has a question you can answer (on cysts) in the Cat Health section)