PDA

View Full Version : Scratching

RRR
16-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Zoot, my lil ginger man, has been scratching his shoulder for a few days and has caused it to become a bit scabby. I dont think it is overly irritating him but I've seen him scratch at it a few times so took a good look and there are small scabs in the area.

I've had a good look for fleas on both kittens but cant find anything on them.

Anyone got any ideas? :(

dinahsmum
16-01-2007, 03:06 PM
if there is a reason (as opposed to just having a bit of a scratch cos he feels like it) then it's almost 100% likely to be fleas. (I think they say that for every flea on the cat there are likely to be 25 in your home. Yuk) So, it could be a bite/allergy but the flea is in not on their body but in their bed, in the carpet etc etc.
Have you sprayed/treated them?

alexgirl73
16-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Also there is the possibility that it could be mites or ringworm, although these do tend to show more around the ears, so I'd have a good look and see how clean his ears are.

charliebubs
16-01-2007, 04:32 PM
cats can get excema too - could it be that? Has he made it bleed?
Most likely to be FAD (flea affected dermititis).

RRR
16-01-2007, 10:12 PM
They were treated for fleas on 17 December by spray on frontline.

It isn't bleeding as such but there are very tiny scabs.

I'll wait until OH gets back and we'll look together for any fleas or anything else again.

Can I frontline again so soon?

charliebubs
16-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't think you can RRR. I think it has to be once a month. You could always ring the vet in the morning tho and double check.

Keep us posted on the poor little kitty.

yola
16-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Fleas treatments should really be once a month. However, consider spraying your house just to make sure all the blighters are caught at whatever growing cycle they're at :twisted:

smudgley
16-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Don't use frontline again until 28 days after the last time.

jenny
17-01-2007, 12:13 AM
could it be a diet related allergy? and perhaps the scratching has caused the scab?