PDA

View Full Version : Cat getting close to going back to the Pound!

Stacer
14-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Alright, the cat that loves water...it is getting old....-VERY- FAST. I have done almost everything and nothing is working. I rent this house and he is doing a pretty good amount of damage to this place. So, I have resorted to punishing him. Good slaps on the rear and putting him in "time out" for about 15 mins. But here is the thing, after that....he "tinkles" on something. First it was the sofa and now it is a hand made Quilt. I hardly think it is a tract infection, because the two times it has happened were very far apart. Nearly a month and a half. Dose anyone have any new ideas before I am forced to send him back to that horrible place. Because I cant take it anymore and I dont want to give him away to someone I know only so he can do it there. Help please!

charliebubs
14-01-2007, 06:25 PM
You slap your cat?!??!?! I'm appauled to hear this and think that he may be happier in a new home. I suggest you take him back to the rescue centre. Poor cat.

I know that you guys do things differently in the USA, but a cat should never be "punished" you will only make him fearful of people.

Elaine
14-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Have to say I agree with Charlie here. To "punnish" a cat in this way will only result in the cat becoming extremely stressed. No wonder he has started to wee on your sofa.
Your hands are for showing kindness and care for the animal and not something that should be feared.

Sweet
14-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I rehomed two cats recently Jac and Misty, now they have been with me a number of weeks now, but they are both having troubles with either weeing or pooing here and there, BUT no way on this Earth would I hit them, it would only make them more nervous x

Elaine
14-01-2007, 06:42 PM
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html
Wizz is a woman I know who is very experienced in animal behaviour issues. She may be able to help, you can contact her through a link on her site.
Please stop smacking her though as she doesnt understand why she is being smacked and never will, all she knows is that you are hurting her not helping her.

charliebubs
14-01-2007, 06:45 PM
"You would not chastise a child and likewise your cat should not be punished under any circumstances. Cats usually spray or toilet in the wrong place due to stress. Cats are very sensitive to any changes in their environment and this can often trigger inappropriate behaviour."

This is from Wizz's website. Good thinking Elaine to link her site in.

tilly
14-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I would also say take the cats back as it doesn't seem fair to punish it. It only causes more stress for you and for him which will make everything worse. Even when Buster peed on the carpet I didn't punish him. As he obviosly didn't mean too.
Perhaps

Sally

Az
14-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Hmmm sounds a bit trollish this one. I can't see why anyone in this day and age would resort to hitting an animal!

In case you are not a troll...

NEVER punish a cat!!!!!

Dogs lick things, children scribble on things and Cats play!

If you didn't research cats well enough before going ahead and getting one, or can't put up with your cat 'playing' then please find a new loving home for him, or find a rescue that has a no destruction policy.

Has he been castrated? If not that may be why he's peeing on things. If you think his behaviour is not usual cat-like, go to a vet as there maybe an underlying problem that needs sorting out.

dandysmom
14-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Slapping or hitting cats is completely unacceptable behavior here in the States also!!! This will only increase his stress level and make it less likely he's associating your actions with what he did. Please return that cat to the shelter so he can be rehomed with someone who understands his needs and will not hurt him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadowdh
15-01-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry, I am new here but I have to ask, why dont you punish a child now...??? If my kids do something wrong they do get chastised and do get punished... without chastisement and punishment society would be a much worse place...!! However here I am not sure if the op meant the slap them hard, perhaps a tap on the butt...?? Also I am sure I have read that mother cats chastise their young to teach them... but instead of a smack on the rear would a spray bottle to spray them with work... although this might not be in the case if he loves water...

yola
15-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Shadowdh - not sure I understand your post - are you comparing disciplining a child with disciplining a cat??

Fundemental difference; children have a congiscent understanding of right and wrong and an ability to learn to a far greater extent than a cat. A cat can't understand action (peeing on something) and reaction (slap) and the relationship between the two. A child can have this explained to him/her and can quickly grasp the concept.

Therefore this kind of punishment, that causes pain to an animal is pointless, will usually exacerbate the problem and will cause confusion and maybe an angry reaction from the animal.

The original post made me quite cross as the person has obviously little or no understanding of their pet. Ok, they're taking time to post and find out but the whole tone of the post is rather aggresive. I am concerned for their cat to be honest :( and maybe it would be better off rehomed to someone who will take care of it and show it some tenderness and affection.

Shadowdh
15-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Not really, just questioning a post or two regarding discipline... but I also have doubts about your suggestions regarding learned behaviour in animals... are you suggesting that animals cant learn..?? Just a query... and lastly (before I must go off to Uni) I also wonder if the tone is intuited by the reader rather than the writer... did they really mean a hard smack or more of a tap... and is there a better solution to training (if animals can be trained) their pet to behave...??? Cheers

charliebubs
15-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I have to say that I agree with Yola that the original post came across as agressive and the tone gives the impression that she is really smacking the cat and placing it for "time out" - what on earth is that!?!?!

It's not that animals can't learn, clearly dogs can and cats can to some extent.........but not in the same way that we can as humans, which is why punishing a child should not be compared to punishing a cat. They are two totally different things.

Animals can indeed learn behaviour, but by "punishing" a cat you will only teach it to be scared of you and therefore probably make the problem worse.

yola
15-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Of course animals can learn - but we need to adopt a different method of teaching, that's all!

I can explain to my toddler that I have asked him 1/2 a dozen times not to do something and he continued to do so, hence he received a spank on the backside. I can also tell him and he will understand, that if he does something one more time, he will get a spank. It then becomes his choice whether he bears the consequences of his action. You can't rationalise in that way with a cat.

Yes, you can punish an animal but not in such a way that causes pain and bewilderment. There is standard methodology for pet training . . . I'm no expert but a quick google should bring up many options - some of which I'm sure have been discussed on this forum.

As for the tone of the original poster? Well, obviously it is subjective - but I think a few others read the same into the post as I did and responded in a similar manner. Of course I could be wrong, but there were just a few comments in there that rang alarm bells that's all!

Moli
15-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Very good post Yola, I am horrified anyone would even think of hitting a cat.....I do not believe hitting any animal be it cat or dog will do any good.....Like other posters, I really feel this poor cat would be better in a home where someone understands it and can help it with its prolems, which sound stress related to me...

random
15-01-2007, 04:47 PM

charliebubs
15-01-2007, 05:06 PM

HAHAHA!!! did you swear and it's been edited out?!?!?! lol

Jac
15-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Quote So, I have resorted to punishing him. Good slaps on the rear and putting him in "time out" for about 15 mins un quote!!!!!

I know who would be getting the "good slap" if they were near me!!!!

I think this stinks of Troll (3 post) If not then you should be totally ashamed.:twisted:

RRR
16-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Crikey I cant believe anyone would want to hit a cat :( My kittens can be real nightmares at times (well at least once a day if I'm honest!!) like climb the curtains, pull things off the sides, throw things down the stairs, wake me up at 4am playing with my toes, they even completely smashed my phone on Sunday but I would never dream of smacking them.

I cant imagine time out would work with a cat either, it works well for ferrets but I dont think my kitties would appreciate it one bit!

jenny
17-01-2007, 12:19 AM
i think we need to remember that there are still alot of people out there that thing punishing animals works. maybe through their ignorance, or advice they were given from a friend.
I know i still hear alot of people saying to smack them when they mess, use water pistols or rub their nose in it.

Im not saying its acceptable, but to perhaps take into account that this person may simply just not know due to bad advice being given.

it is fact that cats do not respond to punishment. you cant train them in the same way you can a dog. not saying u should punish a dog.

all i can say in response to this owners post is that perhaps you should have done your research before getting a cat. I think any cat owner needs to be prepared for damage to their house, whether it be scratching furniture or playing with water. If this is not something you can cope with, then i suggest you rehome the cat.
If not, then you need to stop punishing him and give him things to do and interact with, such as climbers, scratching posts, toys etc and keep his mind occupied.
The behaviour you are talking about is due to stress, and this is most likely been caused by you punishing him.

ATD
15-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Shadowdh - not sure I understand your post - are you comparing disciplining a child with disciplining a cat??

Fundemental difference; children have a congiscent understanding of right and wrong and an ability to learn to a far greater extent than a cat. A cat can't understand action (peeing on something) and reaction (slap) and the relationship between the two.

cats are intelligent animals i have never had to house train a cat but my dog got told off when she went to the toilet in the house

i tell my animals off i always try and use my voice instead of resorting to slapping them but there are times when a light smack is in order and my animals are not frightened of me, i think you have to treat each animal as an individual as they are some will respond to you voice some to being punished and some wont :) they are all different

ATD xxx

Kobster
16-02-2007, 02:38 AM
I'm sorry ATD and original poster, I completely disagree with you. There is NO situation in which physical violence of any sort is "useful" in training any animal. Its cruel and abusive.

And thing may be done "differently" in the U.S. but it is certainly unacceptable to hit a cat. Please don't generalize the original posters response to that of all U.S Americans.

ATD
16-02-2007, 07:34 PM
physical violence you make it sound like i batter my animals i dont but a quick smack on the **** wont do them any harm
ATD

Fran
16-02-2007, 07:38 PM
physical violence you make it sound like i batter my animals i dont but a quick smack on the **** wont do them any harm
ATD

ATD, this forum is full of cat loving members who do not agree with physically violence towards their pets in anyway. As with other 'old' threads that have been revived recently. I think this one is best layed to rest...

charliebubs
16-02-2007, 07:52 PM
ATD, this forum is full of cat loving members who do not agree with physically violence towards their pets in anyway. As with other 'old' threads that have been revived recently. I think this one is best layed to rest...

I agree Fran. We don't need to go over old ground here.

dandysmom
16-02-2007, 08:42 PM
We've expressed our opinions on this, let's close it once and for all~!

ATD
16-02-2007, 10:20 PM
i dont agree more but what i wont have is anyone telling me i batter my animals and dont love them would you rather me sit back and let my dog rip holes out of my cat of vise versa?
ATD xxx