PDA

View Full Version : Collecting a urine sample

Mags
13-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Unfortunately there are times when our poor kitties have a 'wee' problem when it is necessary to collect a urine sample for testing. How to do this has often proved puzzling and almost impossible at times :?

Here are a few suggestions that may be helpful if the need arises .......

1) If your cat uses a litter tray, you can replace your normal cat litter with aquarium gravel .....it's non-absorbant and similar in size to cat litter. Once the deed is done you can just tip the tray and empty the wee into a clean container.

2) Another method, place a piece of polythene (clear if possible) over the tray of litter and press it down a little over the litter. This should work well and is easy to collect the sample because of the plastic bag it's on.

3) If your cat doesn't use a litter tray and only 'goes' outdoors, a bit more thought is required. One method is to attach a small container (like a 35mm film cannister) to a long stick. If you can be near to you cat but not right next to it, crouch a small distance away and hopefully you may be able to catch a few drops for a sample!

This last method would be good for Kazz and her pointy stick and to give her neighbours something else to laugh about!;):lol:

alexgirl73
13-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Never had to do this thank goodness, but had never given any thought on how to do it if the need arose!! Now I know, thanks Mags.

PS LOL at the thought of Kazz with her pointy stick!

dinahsmum
13-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm delighted to say I've never had to do this. I'll try the gravel route if necessary.
Good tips though Mags.
Boy dogs are the simplest (but wear rubber gloves!) :D
I've done it with a bitch but it takes patience - every time she squats you appear with a shallow dish, she gives you a black look and moves elsewhere to squat, you get the dish ready again, she sighs :? and moves again etc etc but you get there eventually!

Elaine
13-01-2007, 03:20 PM
LOL love the last one LOL. Good tips there. Fortunately for me so far I never had much problem getting a sample from Winston but then I never had any problems with Winston at all over the years.
Havent had to get a sample from either Bernie or Eva as yet and hope I never do.

Fran
13-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Number 3 had me in stitches at the thought of the neigbours' faces :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have never had to do this either thank goodness!

Good advice, thanks for posting Mags....

Kim
13-01-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm delighted to say I've never had to do this. I'll try the gravel route if necessary.
Good tips though Mags.
Boy dogs are the simplest (but wear rubber gloves!) :D
I've done it with a bitch but it takes patience - every time she squats you appear with a shallow dish, she gives you a black look and moves elsewhere to squat, you get the dish ready again, she sighs :? and moves again etc etc but you get there eventually!

This made me laugh DM!!

I have never had to collect a sample thank goodness.

dandysmom
13-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I've never had to do it either; Leia was so upset at the vets that she weed right on the table and he whipped out a bitty device with a tiny needle and sucked it up! This is good advice, Mags, thanks!

Jac
14-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Never had to do it with a cat BUT had to do it with our last dog. Everytime he lifted his leg and I appeared he stoped and moved. I did get it eventually, took a couple of days and the neighbours thought I had finally lost the plot:-D Not the easiest of tasks.