PDA

View Full Version : Teddies runny bot!

alexgirl73
13-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I swear thatthis kitten will be the death of me yet!!! As I mentioned in the daily thread, Teddie has had a really runny bot during the night and this morning. I have just discovered the reason why. I heard her come out of the litter tray, and there, just newly passed, were about 5 pieces of sweetcorn:shock: . This cat is a little vacuum and picks up anything which is dropped on the floor and vaguely passes for edible. What on earth am I going to do with her!!!:roll:

dinahsmum
13-01-2007, 02:57 PM
A feline 'Hannibal Lecter' type face mask? :roll: Poor Teddie - but sweetcorn is a classic.
I wonder if there is anything bland she could fill up on? Have you tried her with anything from the cereal world (but not wheat/flour/gluten) in her fish? Baby rice? Tapioca? Cornflour? Just something to give her a bit of extra bulk. No milk. I really don't know if that would be a good idea or a disaster, and I can't even say 'if I was you ......' because i don't really know what I would do.
Maybe someone else will have a brainwave. There must be something.

alexgirl73
13-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Hmm, never thought of trying to bulk out her fish with baby rice or anything like that, but it might just be worth a try. I'll have a look at the baby food section (never thought I'd be there again, lol) when I do my shopping on monday. It's such a shame, 'cause she obviously isn't feeling full from the fish alone. Every time you go by her bowl she sits at it and looks at you as if to say 'please mum, can I have some more'! And it's all the worse for the fact the boys have their biscuits sitting out all day for them to munch when they feel hungry.

dinahsmum
13-01-2007, 03:10 PM
If you poach her fish in a little extra water, then make a 'blancmange', or 'wallpaper paste' with the fishy flavoured broth and cornflour, or arrowroot, that might help. Arrowroot is an old remedy for diarrhoea I think, so that might be better. And flake tapioca makes those nice frog egg gloopy lumps (OK, I've got strange taste!), so that might make the broth more filling

lol @ the baby section. I was there getting a freezy teething toy for Dinah! It's changed since my day!

alexgirl73
13-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Cornflour I know I can get, but where would I get arrowroot from?

Fran
13-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Cornflour I know I can get, but where would I get arrowroot from?

We tried arrowroot when the horse had a bout of diarrhoea, I think but may be wrong that we got it from the baking section in Asda??

dinahsmum
13-01-2007, 03:23 PM
From the baking section at a supermarket, possibly from Boots etc as well. It's good for e.g.if you're making a fruit flan and want to keep the jelly transparent (strawberry etc) as cornflour does the thickening but makes it opaque.

I've just done a google of diarrhoea and arrowroot to see if I can find an old granny's tip thing on how good it is. There are lots of articles but the one that caught my eye was on the dire rear in g. pigs, where a tip was to feed arrowroot biscuits! (in mild cases). Maybe that's something Teddie could nibble? Conjures up a lovely picture of her sitting with her cup of tea and bikkie, and her little finger pointing up nicely!

Elaine
13-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Poor little Teddy hoover. Have you tried her on pasta? Just a thought but maybe not if you feel you should stay away from wheat and gluten etc.
Hugs and cuddles to you both. xxx

Mags
13-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Canned pumpkin? Just came across this while googling ..... it can help both diarrhoea and constipation ......

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

dinahsmum
13-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Canned pumpkin?
Don't think i've ever seen that Mags. More a U.S. product?

Found this article about arrowroot
http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/arrowroot
and Supercook have powdered arrowroot in their range. I think the major supermarkets all stock it
http://www.supercook.co.uk/about/our-products/details/11143

alexgirl73
13-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Will try the arrowroot on monday with her, and will have a look and see if I can find canned pumpkin.

And I could just see Teddie with her bickie and a paw in the air, lol!!

charliebubs
13-01-2007, 04:38 PM
What a shame she's had another runny tummy Alex. I'm afraid I don't have anything further to suggest, but good luck with the arrowroot and pumpkin!! :)
(((hugs to you both)))
x

tilly
13-01-2007, 09:11 PM
HI I can't suggest anything as I haven't had that kind of problem. BUt best of luck and I hope she is OK soon.

Sally

dandysmom
13-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I certainly hope some of these suggestions will help...poor little Teddie! (((hugs))) to you both!