PDA

View Full Version : Fran....or anyone.....help!

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm panicking this morning that Lily has come into call and this stray cat is still hanging around.

When I got up this morning Lily was no-where to be seen (she's usually on the bed with me). I looked in all the cat beds and hidey-holes but she was no-where. I opened the back door and called her and in she trotted followed closely by tabby intruder.

I shooed him off and gave them all their breakfast, but Lily was acting really strange. She kept rolling around on the floor and rubbing her face against everything. She was also cleaning her back end a lot and the other cats were all very interested in her and sniffing her.

There has been no vocal calling at all, but could this be it anyway?

If so, I'm thinking I should stay home this morning, catch this cat and drive him to Wood Green. I have tried to patch up the cat proofing again this morning, but I don't have much hope that it'll keep him out. It hasn't any other time!

I have also just emailed the CPL again a desperate plea. I explained that I have an entire female. I have the feeling that they won't be sympathetic though. I know some people have strong opinions against cat breeding, but I can promise you all that I don't think of Lily as a commodity to be bred. I love her and I am interested in breeding because I love the ragdoll breed and want to contribute something to that. I don't just want kittens.

I know from working at Wood Green that breeding isn't understood, but you can be into cat welfare too. I worked at WG at the same time as owning Lily and showing her. It is possible to be both kinds of cat lover.

Anyway, I'm ranting............but just because I don't want to be misunderstood. :?

So, what should I do????????????

Fran
12-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi Charlie
It certainly sounds very much like she will start to call at any time now, the rolling around and extra interest in her back end are usually the first sign it is going to happen. If I were you and I know it seems cruel but for her own good, lock her away with one of your neuters for company in a bedroom. Catch the Tom and get him into rescue or if that is not possible, could you get him to your vets and have him neutered yourself? I know it's a real pain but seriously she does sound like she is going to call any minute Charlie and once she does start to call she can then come into call every 2 or 3 weeks so just trying to keep them apart for this call isn't going to help much long term. Good luck Charlie. I don't think patching your fence is the answer, he really is intent on getting his way with Lily and will go to any lengths to get to her :(

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 09:39 AM
These are some pics I took of the stray on my phone last night and this morning.

In the last one you can see the cat-proofing system that he is managing to get through. Little bug**r!!!

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
My vets couldn't get him in until Weds next week. I don't think I could wait that long. Just phoning round now.

Fran
12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Good luck Charlie, remember even after he has been neutered he may be fertile for a little while. Ask the vets how long after the op it will be ok for him to mix with an entire queen

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Good luck Charlie, remember even after he has been neutered he may be fertile for a little while. Ask the vets how long after the op it will be ok for him to mix with an entire queen

They said 10 days and they would want me to be responsible for his after care. I don't think I could be though. :(

Just tried CPL and they don't open until 10am.......

:(

Elaine
12-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Can WG or CPL loan you a trap to catch the holy terror?
I think shutting you cats in a spare room may be your only option for the moment, I cannt think of anything esle that would help, sorry. Wishing you lots of luck xxx.

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Have just spoken to WG to see if they can take him in. They are going to call me back. I'm happy to drive him there now if they can have him.

Otherwise, Lily will get locked in the bedroom for the day!! Poor girl!!

:)

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
WG are going to take him, but typically the little ****** has now disappeared!!!! Need to entice him back and catch him..............

Will keep you all posted.
xx

alexgirl73
12-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Good luck Charlie! The shame of it is, he looks a lovely cat, hopefully he will find a loving home soon.

Fran
12-01-2007, 11:14 AM
WG are going to take him, but typically the little ****** has now disappeared!!!! Need to entice him back and catch him..............

Will keep you all posted.
xx

If Lily is seriously coming into call, he won't be far away ;) Good luck and let us know what happens x

Sweet
12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Good Luck I hope you catch him soon x

yola
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Good job you've found a place for him! He does look a lovely cat - my guess is he's just looking for somewhere to call home :(

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Well, I took the morning off work to try and catch the little fella and take him to WG. He came in a couple of times and on the second visit I thought I try and scruff him, but Abi was very interested in what I was doing, got in the way and scared him off. He hasn't been seen since and I'm going to have to go to work soon. :(

Looks like Lily will be spending the afternoon in the bedroom - for her own good!

The CPL called me back this morning too. They said that they will help with catching and neutering but they don't have any spaces in their foster homes to take him in. I asked what they would do with him after the neutering then and they said release him back into this area. I know they are stretched, but this doesn't really help. He wouldn't be able to reproduce, but he'd still be homeless. :(
I told her that WG were taking him now anyway, when I catch him. I also volunteered to help with anything that I can, although I won't be able to foster. She was grateful for that!!

Alex, you're right he is quite a sweet cat and I think he'll make someone a lovely pet once he's been neutered. I was watching him playing with Indah in the garden this morning and even considered keeping him for a fleeting moment, but I just don't think I can. :(

Fran
12-01-2007, 01:20 PM
What a shame you didn't managae to catch him :( I hope you manage to get him soon. He is a very handsome boy, I am sure he will be snapped up once he is neutered!

Jac
12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Have you managed to get the wee toe rag yet??

charliebubs
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Have you managed to get the wee toe rag yet??

Not yet Jac. I've had to come into work, so will try again in the morning. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

:)

Jac
12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Will do. Hope you get him. By the look of him it wont be long before someone falls inlove and takes him home! Good luck.

Elaine
12-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Everything crossed here that you manage to catch the poor dear tomorrow. xxx

dandysmom
12-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Fingers crossed here that you catch him soon; he is a handsome boy and will certainly find a home,,,looks like being locked in the bedroom for Lily for a while...she certainly sounds as if she's getting ready to call!! Keep us posted; good luck!!