PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Cat

andrew021
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Maybe this is a bit morbid, but what do people do when their cats die?

Are they given to the vet to dispose of or would a person have the cat cremated and spread its ashes in the garden or would they bury the cat in the garden.

Its just a friend told me his friend had her cat cremated and the ashes were placed in an urn and put on the fireplace.

kitties818
11-01-2007, 05:32 PM
all of our animals are buryed in the garden!x

alexgirl73
11-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I've never had a cat that has died before so I don't know what others do, but I would bury mine in my garden. All of my rats that I've had have been buried in my gardens.

Kazz
11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Oscar was brought straight home and buried in the garden under the shade of a tree he liked to sit under in all weathers. :)
Thinking about it I wonder if I should have had him cremated and then buried his ashes - that way if I move I could take him with me. But wanted to bring him home I did not want to leave him with strangers. Will more than likely do the same with Cleo bring her home straight away.

Kazz
11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Can I just say very interesting and thought provoking thread something maybe we should all consider before the time comes.

Luke
11-01-2007, 06:56 PM
We've gone to the same vet well..my parents have gone to him for about 23 ish years..so a bit before i came along! Our vet gives the option..whether to take the body of any pet for 'owner' disposal or if you would like to have the vet dispose of the remains.
See when my old Russell Bitch was pts last year..i chose not to have her ashes back, and let our vet deal with things because i KNEW i couldn't cope at that time with having the ashes back..would be a constant reminder too me.
I think each to their own...i have since regretted the above, and vowe any animal of mine will come home after death..one way or another.

Fran
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I bury them in the garden but if I lost one of my dogs then due to the size of them I would have them cremated and bury the ashes..same would go for the horse, obviously ;)

Edit to say that when the time comes for our horse, my hubby would like his remains to go to feed the hounds as a tribute to his life of hunting and passion for it :? But I might have to draw the line at that one!

Lenore
11-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Brrrrp was buried in my OHs parents garden, they have a paddock and a huge pond, so theres lots of birds and bunnies and things, we thought she'd like it there (our garden is tiny!), we also chose a tree that we thought suited her a planted it on top of her*.

She was buried with her bowls, her blanket, and her fave toys, a mouse and a little ball of tinfoil.

She died a few years ago now, but we still always go and say hi to her when we visit them, her tree is doing really well:-D

* I also planted a rose bush in our actual garden in memory of her, its beautiful but spikey - just like she was.

Naomi
11-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Not had a cat die on me yet but one of my dogs (lara) was left with the vet to cremate and the other (Tam1) was brought home and buried in the sheep field with views across the valley to the SugarLoaf Mountain.

charliebubs
11-01-2007, 08:21 PM
When I lost Midas last year I had him cremated and have most of his ashes in the living room here with me. I didn't want to lose him forever and he loved being here (I think!). I scattered some of the ashes in the garden and planted lavender there - it was his fave sunny spot. I had a special box made for his ashes and a feline artist did a portrait of him on the top. I'll see if I can find the photo to add in a mo.
When Abi lost her kittens a few months ago, I had the two that I had been hand-rearing cremated, but I decided not to bring them home as I hadn't had so much of a bond with them.
I think it's definitely personal choice. When we were kids we buried all our family pets in the garden; hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs and a cat.
I decided not to bury this time, as my garden isn't very big and I also like the idea of being able to take MIdas with me when I move house.

charliebubs
11-01-2007, 08:27 PM
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/charliebubs/th_Midascasket.jpg

Here he is.

Fran
11-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Midas was a stunning boy! RIP gorgeous lad x

dandysmom
11-01-2007, 09:02 PM
It's illegal here in Washington to bury an animal, but nontheless, all of mine are buried in the garden that they loved.......the cat I grew up with wandered off at 17 and we never knew where he died...probably in the woods where he loved to hunt....

hamish
11-01-2007, 09:26 PM
All my pets are buried in my garden. All with the toy they played with most.

Elaine
11-01-2007, 09:31 PM
When Mutley died we buried him in the garden coz he loved it out there, chasing the flies he could hear but not see.
Graham came with me when we took Woody to be pts, I was sooo upset that Graham ushered me out of the room and so he died without me and Graham instructed the vets to dispose of him, that still really upsets me and Graham was NEVER allowed to come to the vets with me after that.
Winston was cremated and sits in my living room in an urn, I havent decided if I will scatter his ashes or take him with me when I go.

Kazz
11-01-2007, 09:40 PM
When Mutley died we buried him in the garden coz he loved it out there, chasing the flies he could hear but not see.
Graham came with me when we took Woody to be pts, I was sooo upset that Graham ushered me out of the room and so he died without me and Graham instructed the vets to dispose of him, that still really upsets me and Graham was NEVER allowed to come to the vets with me after that.
Winston was cremated and sits in my living room in an urn, I havent decided if I will scatter his ashes or take him with me when I go.

Odd even with my dogs until Oscar I never considered it I always left them at the vets maybe it the years we've spent together.

Elaine
11-01-2007, 09:49 PM
The thing with Woody was, the first 2 years of his life he was abused and fed drugs for a laugh, then I took him away from that. It took a further 2 years for him to begin to trust me. He and Winston were great pals. He hated men until Graham came along many years after. He developed H/L at the age of 15 and it was way too stressfull, for HIM not me, to medicate him and try to get him well again that I had to let him go. I just feel terrible that he died alone, with out me there to comfort him. Sorry too upsetting, gonna get off this thread now.

CathyW
11-01-2007, 10:09 PM
when monty was killed we buried him in the garden, but now cause we are in a flat id take the the cat or dog to the woods where they can be free. buryed deep so foxes dont get to them. but as mine as still young im hoping it wont be for a very long time.

yola
11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
The only cat that has ever left me, my FIV boy, Ferdy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/2_2004006.jpg

And this is where he sits, on my dresser in my dining room. He's just behind my right shoulder now - just where I like him; close by.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/DomiinDerbyshire002.jpg

Kazz
11-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I have a statue like that Yola.

smudgley
11-01-2007, 10:39 PM
[quote=dandysmom;331027]It's illegal here in Washington to bury an animal,

It's illegal here too.

Fran
11-01-2007, 10:47 PM

It's illegal here too.

I didn't know that Smudgley :? It's illegal to bury horses now I know but when I lost Lucky (my elderly cat)December 2005 my vet was perfectly happy for me to take her and just gave us guidelines on how big we should dig the hole to put her in :?

smudgley
11-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I think lots of vets would be the same, understanding & caring at what is always a very difficult time & they probably think there's no harm done really. But it is illegal to bury dead animals & they should officially be treated as clinical waste :shock:
(terrible term, but that's how they should be disposed of)

My cat is buried in my garden.

dandysmom
11-01-2007, 10:51 PM

It's illegal here too.Normally I'm a law-abiding person, but that's one that I gladly flouted and will do so again when the occasion arises!!

smudgley
11-01-2007, 10:53 PM
[quote=smudgley;331075]Normally I'm a law-abiding person, but that's one that I gladly flouted and will do so again when the occasion arises!!

Me too. :cool:
(hopefully not for many, many years for mine or your cats)

alexgirl73
That's horrid, what a nasty term for someones beloved pet! My OH and I have just had a 'conversation' about what should happen. He wouldn't want them buried in the garden adn would rather take them to a forest somewhere and bury them, returning them to 'nature' (never minding the fact they are all house cats).

dandysmom
[quote=smudgley;331075]

I didn't know that Smudgley :? It's illegal to bury horses now I know but when I lost Lucky (my elderly cat)December 2005 my vet was perfectly happy for me to take her and just gave us guidelines on how big we should dig the hole to put her in :? The terribly sad thing, Fran, is that it takes such a small hole to bury so much love.........:cry:

Luke
11-01-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm unsure to be honest if i would bury another again..the rabbits n guinea-pigs (garden is full of them, ferrets, two ducks, and a few hamsters) is different, but i have decided with any future departed dogs n mogs, i shall cremate-keep the ashes n when i croak it i shall have them burried with me. Which is something a late lamented grandmother of a friend of mine did..

Fran
11-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Smudgley, I think the rules are different for rescue centres than they are a owners own pet??

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/processes/1030206/?version=1&sectorid=1030141

Have a read under the section 'Dead animals' :?

smudgley
11-01-2007, 10:58 PM
[quote=Fran;331079] The terribly sad thing, Fran, is that it takes such a small hole to bury so much love.........:cry:

:cat1

:smt058

Kazz
11-01-2007, 11:00 PM
[quote=Fran;331079] The terribly sad thing, Fran, is that it takes such a small hole to bury so much love.........:cry:

Yes but don't forget the cat sized hole you have in your heart. :smt049

Fran
11-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Normally, owners will take back their dead pet and either bury it or have it cremated. Burial of pets by their owners is a permitted exemption under the Animals By-Product Regulations. However, the burial of animal carcasses from business activities such as rescue homes and unclaimed carcasses from kennels and catteries is prohibited under the Landfill Regulation. You should not bury dead pets (that are not your own pets) on the site of your kennel or cattery

Edited to say I took this extract from the Environmental Agency, Netregs web site

smudgley
11-01-2007, 11:02 PM
That's really interesting Fran, because we've always been told that we are not allowed to let people bury stillborn pups as it's against the law & although lots of people want to - we don't allow them to.:?

Kazz
11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
See I can't see me bringing the dogs back with me, as much as I think of them I would leave them at the vets and bring home the memories, but the cats well Oscar and Cleo - 23-24+ years a long long time.

Fran
11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
That's really interesting Fran, because we've always been told that we are not allowed to let people bury stillborn pups as it's against the law & although lots of people want to - we don't allow them to.:?

The reason I questioned you Smudgley is because our vets are usually 'hot' with legal things. I'm not saying they would have refused for us to take Lucky but they would definitely have pointed out it was against the law to bury her if it was if you know what I mean and they never said anything only the recommended dimensions of the 'hole' :?

Luke
11-01-2007, 11:13 PM
See I can't see me bringing the dogs back with me, as much as I think of them I would leave them at the vets and bring home the memories, but the cats well Oscar and Cleo - 23-24+ years a long long time.
It is strange isn't it Kazz?
As i said when i had polly pts..i knew instantly i didnt want to bury her etc, she was pts at home..and then we followed the vet and took her back to the surgery, commoner practise i was told than one actually imagines.
I just didn't want to bury her/bring ashes back etc as have all the memories i needin my head n heart rather than to have a long standing 'physical' thing to remind me of her..but i would worry it would remind me of her death and her actually being dead rather than the time we shared:?
All of the other dogs were allways left at the vets..

charliebubs
11-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Sorry too upsetting, gonna get off this thread now.

Big hugs Elaine (((((())))))
xx

Kazz
11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Apart form Oscar and will be Cleo I would not bury my animals. My memories are enough but Oscar I thought I wouldleave at the vets but the Sunday morning he was ill I knew I wouldn't couldn't leave him. I brought him straight home he was home the vets then home all within 20 minutes including the drive there and back. He was still with me. Cleo will be the same.

Kazz
11-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Now I don;t find it upsetting at all maybe I am odd, in fact its nice talking about him.

smudgley
11-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Fran ~ You are right. :) I looked on the Defra site & it confirmed what the EA said.

Kazz ~ I'm the same with the cats/dogs thing.
Having lost lots of dogs over the years - they've always been left at the vets, or when Conka died at home, we then took him to the vets. Never had them cremated, always had a very realistic approach to them once they are gone & have always left the vets to dispose of them, BUT when Mitten (cat) died I brought her home & we buried her in the garden (even though I could have had her cremated, free of charge & her ashes back) I still wanted her buried by the pond.

I felt very different when my cat died than I had felt when losing any of the dogs too.

Kazz
11-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Odd though because dogs giev you their heart and soul yet cats only loan them. Maybe thats why.

charliebubs
11-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I think it's quite a personal thing anyway. I've never thought of having any earlier pets cremated, but with Midas I just couldn't leave him there to be "disposed of". I wanted him with me. I think in my case it may have had something to do with my experiences working at Wood Green and seeing the pts cats being put in those yellow bags and incinerated. I just couldn't have that happen to Midas.
:(

dandysmom
12-01-2007, 03:12 AM
The reason I questioned you Smudgley is because our vets are usually 'hot' with legal things. I'm not saying they would have refused for us to take Lucky but they would definitely have pointed out it was against the law to bury her if it was if you know what I mean and they never said anything only the recommended dimensions of the 'hole' :?My vet knew it was illegal to bury a cat in the City, but when he asked me if I wanted Sultan to be cremated and I said no, he'd be buried in the garden, he just brought me some plastic sheeting to carry him home in. He was as upset as I was at losing him,,,he has since retired and, sadly, died...a very good, caring man, RIP Dr. Cashell!

dinahsmum
12-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Interesting discussion you folks had last night.
I have no belief in an afterlife etc etc. Whatever it is that makes each of my pets themselves is nothing to do with the flesh, bones and skin they are made of. (Now that almost sounds like a vote in favour of a 'soul' doesn't it? However, I'd just call it spirit or spark of life, nothing spiritual in a religious sense). So, when that spark leaves the corporal body, that which is left is just a nothing, an empty vessel. So, cremation seems the sensible, hygeinic and practical way to me.
They stay in our heart. That's how they continue.
(And although that may sound very cold, let me assure you I will cry like a good 'un when sad times come around)

andrew021
12-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It is upsetting to think about what to do in the future.

I was reading LENORE' s thread in Cat Death about Brrrrp which got me thinking. Its just Jet is getting to the age of three soon and I wouldnt know what to do if I lost her at such a young age.

I would defo have her cremated and would keep her ashes as a constant reminder of the fun times we had, how she was a spoilt madam and a wee minx but of the affection she give me. But hopefully we have a few good years left to enjoy each others company and I shouldnt dwell on what will eventually happen.

I read a quote recently "I wonder if I am just a pastime to my cat as she is to me!!"

Darky
29-06-2007, 02:12 PM
All of our pets have been buried, except for my cat Tiger. I had her cremated and her ashes are in a cat-shaped wooden ornament. Sometimes I feel this was selfish of me, for not wanting to let go, but I'm waiting until a time when it will be right to spread her ashes. (This may be years away.)

Jane
29-06-2007, 06:22 PM
All of our pets are burried in our garden except our doggy, Jack. He had to be pts and we never brought him home..we regret this sometimes but we know that in spirit he will always be with us and he is always in our heart.

Socks
10-07-2007, 02:12 AM
The old cat that I grew up with as a child was names Pepper and she was the most sweetest cat I've ever known. We had her burried undernethe the old Cherrie tree she use to sleep under. Sadly, the house fell apart due to a storm and we had to move. I placed some roses before we left. I really miss her T_T She died when I turrned 10 because of Cancer. She lived for 17 years though o.o

dandysmom
10-07-2007, 02:31 AM
That's very sad, Socks.But at least you did have closure. The cat I grew up with, a big ginger boy also was 17, but he just wandered off , presumably to die, although he was in excellent health for his age...we never did know what happened.... sad ...

Socks
10-07-2007, 02:42 AM
That's very sad, Socks.But at least you did have closure. The cat I grew up with, a big ginger boy also was 17, but he just wandered off , presumably to die, although he was in excellent health for his age...we never did know what happened.... sad ...

Thats what happened with my Childhood's fav Cat. He was my little angel T_T

dandysmom
10-07-2007, 02:49 AM
It's the not knowing that hurts, even after all these many, many years.....

Socks
10-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Yeah, still I wonder if he is still walking around, going to another home to make another child happy.

When I was little, I had very bad circulation in my legs and they were thinking about amputation cause my legs were basically dieing, and my parents wern't top-knotch supportive "It'll be okey". I sat outside on the back porch because the doctors told me that I needed more sunlight and I heard a meow under the porch, and I got down and looked and it was a Cat about a year old what the vet said with a huge Gash on his head and he was my little buddy for a few months cause he would play with me,sleep with me,and he would lay on my legs to keep them warm. Then I woke up one morning and I couldn't feel my legs. So, we went to the emergancy rooms and the Doctor said that my legs were Asleep, meening that there was a good circulation and that everything seemed normal and it stayed that way. Sadly, when I got home. He wasn't home either. I looked everywhere, but I couldn't find him. It was funny cause that day we took his stitches out aswell and my legs got better. Thats why I'm so inlove with Cats, just cause their so friendly and they're the perfect pet to just cuddle with. ^_^

(Except Garfeild o.o;; He'll beat me up T_T)

mable1718
10-07-2007, 08:01 AM
i have not experienced a cat dying yet i dont want to either

Amber
10-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I personally bury all of my animals in the garden.

However at the vets we offer 4 options. The owner can either take the cat home for burial, we can have the cat cremated with no ashes returned, we can have the cat cremated with ashes returned for the owner to scatter, or we can have the cat cremated with the ashes returned in a wooden casket with engraved nameplate.

lisa0307
10-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Because we have alot of Foxes that come into our garden and anything small we have buried, no matter how deep we bury them has always been dug up and eaten by the foxes, we decided to bury our cats in very large pots and plant summer/winter bedding plants in them....the good thing is that we will always be able to take the pots with us should we move house...:)

puddytats
10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I haven't lost a cat yet......i don't know what i will do when the time comes i haven't thought of it......i think id like to have them cremated.

andrew021
11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Since I started this thread, there has been some interesting comments and it seems people have their individual preferences.

Still would like to have Jet cremated and have her ashes. As she is still only three I hope to have a few good years left with her, unless I go first !!

Socks
11-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Wer'e having my dog Scruffy Cremated. Just because when I move for college, My Mom and Dad are selling the house and my Dad is going to work for the AFA which they travle constantly. So they're renting an RV and Mom wants to take Scruffy with her since she has been in the family for so long.