PDA

View Full Version : My intruder cat.........questions.....

charliebubs
09-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Right, well you all know about my intruder tabby cat. I am really struggling to get rid of him. He's coming in more and more..........morning, noon and night. He's even sat in the doorway now as I'm writing this!! lol

I'm still torn as to whether to chase him out every time I see him, or to welcome him in and try to catch him and take him to the vets.

Anyway, my latest questions are:

1) As Lily is entire and I think this stray is entire can he mate her when she's not actually calling? Also, now when he comes into the house he comes in crying and meowing very loudly. Do stud cats do this when they are looking for a female?

2) I've also noticed for the first time today that he was eating their food. Do you think this means he is a stray/feral or just greedy?!?

:)

Fran
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Right, well you all know about my intruder tabby cat. I am really struggling to get rid of him. He's coming in more and more..........morning, noon and night. He's even sat in the doorway now as I'm writing this!! lol

I'm still torn as to whether to chase him out every time I see him, or to welcome him in and try to catch him and take him to the vets.

Anyway, my latest questions are:

1) As Lily is entire and I think this stray is entire can he mate her when she's not actually calling? Also, now when he comes into the house he comes in crying and meowing very loudly. Do stud cats do this when they are looking for a female?

2) I've also noticed for the first time today that he was eating their food. Do you think this means he is a stray/feral or just greedy?!?

:)

He is a nuisance isn't he? :?

In answer to your questions, here are my thoughts...

1) Yes, he physically could go through the motions of trying to mate her if she was not calling, although it's unlikely she will let him and unlikely he would be interested in mating her unless she was on heat. His crying/meowing could be a sign he is looking for a mate but he could just be saying 'hello' to you all and letting you know he has arrived ;)

2) It could be either! He could be stray... Does he look unkempt, on the slender side? Or your food might be better than what he gets served up at home!

I'd be tempted to try and catch him and get him neutered ;)

charliebubs
09-01-2007, 09:48 PM
He is a nuisance isn't he? :?

I'd be tempted to try and catch him and get him neutered ;)

Yes, he's a huge nuisance - but at least he seems to have stopped spraying!!!

He does look slim, doesn't have a collar and the other day had quite a gunky eye - so I am wondering if he's a stray.

I would love to catch him and take him to see if he has a chip and neutering. Trouble is that although he loves my house he doesn't seem to love me and won't let me anywhere near him. The minute I move he's out the door!!

Oh, the joys of cat ownership!!! lol

Fran
09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
The minute I move he's out the door!!

Sounds like he has had a lifetime of being shooo'd out of people's houses :?

You never know, neutering and given time, you may gain his trust. Let us know what you decide to do.

Sometimes it's a case of if you can't beat them, join them :-D

dandysmom
09-01-2007, 10:11 PM
It's my understanding that the female will not allow the male to mate if she's not in season; also, yes some entire toms do loudly advertise their presence and availability to any girls in the neighborhood! We had an entire sealpoint Siamese named Ming in our neighborhood who used to stroll through the alley regularly shouting his head off! We also had lots and lots of black kittens in the neighborhood: a very common result of a Siamese/moggy mating! And probably the grub's better at your house...:-D

smudgley
09-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Agree with Frans comments.

Have you been feeding him? Or does he just come inside & help himself?

I wouldn't have an entire male stray in my house, even if it meant shutting off the catflap.

charliebubs
10-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Have you been feeding him? Or does he just come inside & help himself?

I wouldn't have an entire male stray in my house, even if it meant shutting off the catflap.

I haven't been knowingly feeding him, but the food is there. Yesterday was the first time that I had actually seen him eat anything though.

He does seem to have stopped spraying, so that's one good thing! :o

I managed to get quite close to him last night for the first time too and he sniffed my hand before running off. So, I think I'm going to change tactic.........rather than trying to stop him from coming in (which I have tried very unsucessfully!! lol) I'm going to try and gain his trust and then catch him.

I'm going to call the CP at lunchtime and see if they would take him to be neutered etc if I could catch him. He is definitely an entire male.........you should see his package!!! lol

I just hope that I can catch him before Lily comes into call. :shock:

I'm afraid that even after neutering I won't be able to keep him, as Bernard doesn't like him and I don't think I could really cope with another cat anyway. I'm happy to donate to the CP though and see what they can do for him.

alexgirl73
10-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Good luck with your 'mission' Charlie!!

Hreow
10-01-2007, 03:31 PM
You'd better be double-sure you know when she's due to call. One of Rovers "uncles" was born due to that breeder not knowing the female cat was just starting to and she thought his dad was too young to mate yet. The "uncle"'s dad came into the world in the same way. Just be very careful - he's likely to know she's due to call a lot sooner than you will.

charliebubs
10-01-2007, 03:41 PM
You'd better be double-sure you know when she's due to call. One of Rovers "uncles" was born due to that breeder not knowing the female cat was just starting to and she thought his dad was too young to mate yet. The "uncle"'s dad came into the world in the same way. Just be very careful - he's likely to know she's due to call a lot sooner than you will.

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure he does know something that I don't!! But, as she hasn't called before I have no idea when she is likely to :?

I tried to call the local CP at lunchtime, but there was no-one there, so I have sent them an email. Hopefully they will have some helpful suggestions.

Thanks guys

charliebubs
10-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for Cats Protection!!!

They have replied to my email and said that they should be able to help me and asked for my contact details for a chat. I've replied, so hope to speak with them soon.

Hopefully get the poor tabby boy neutered and into a loving home pronto!!!!!!! :):):)

alexgirl73
10-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Fingers crossed for you Charlie!! Hope they manage to sort him out soon. x

Mags
10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Hope you can get it sorted pronto Charlie!

dandysmom
10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Great news, Charlie!!

Fran
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Fingers crossed Charlie x

dinahsmum
11-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Sounds like he might make a lovely pet for someone once he's neutered. - the typical big soft neutered tom.
Good luck

Donna
11-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I have the same problem tho my cats are speyed so no worries there. I am not depriving my cats of use of the cat flap so will not shut it off.

Maybe the cat belongs to someone - maybe not but he wont let me near him so cant take anything further.

charliebubs
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I have the same problem tho my cats are speyed so no worries there. I am not depriving my cats of use of the cat flap so will not shut it off.

Maybe the cat belongs to someone - maybe not but he wont let me near him so cant take anything further.

You have my sympathies Donna. Especially if your intruder is spraying too. It's not nice.

I'm getting a bit bored of getting woken up by my intruder too now - he seems to always come in at about 4/5am meowing really loudly and making a big fuss. :(

Hopefully I'll be able to catch him soon though and hand him over to the CPL. Then it will have been worth all the trouble. :)

tilly
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Hope you can get him soon and solve this problem.

Sally

Elaine
14-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Any news Charlie? Have you caught the little monkey yet?

charliebubs
14-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Any news Charlie? Have you caught the little monkey yet?

No, funnily enough I haven't seen him at all since Friday morning :?

Lily has been kept locked in my bedroom when I go out as she is still calling, but there is no sign of him at all.

Typical as I've had all weekend to catch him and take him to Wood Green. He'll probably turn up tomorrow morning as I'm leaving for work!!!! lol

:cry:

Sweet
14-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I am glad to hear the CPL will be able to help, the little devil going on a wander now so you cant catch him LOL ;) x