PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Oil

alexgirl73
08-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I take it no-one picked this up in my post on the daily thread:D . I went to H&B today to look for salmon oil capsules for Teddie but the only size of bottle they do cost £9.99, and I'm not paying that in case it doesn't work:? . Does anyone know if using cod liver oil capsules or omega-3 fish oil ones would be beneficial to her, and indeed if cats are actually allowed to take them.

Fran
08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Sorry Alex, I must have missed this earlier :oops:

I used to give Cod Liver oil and Oil of the Evening Primrose to my dogs but was advised that Salmon oil was a much better alternative. So I switched the dogs to Salmon oil and now give it the cats too. It is expensive but I personally think it is worth it. I am happy to send you some capsules to try if you would like? I cut the capsules and mix the oil with the cat food.

alexgirl73
08-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Would giving her the CLO or Omega-3 actually do her any harm, or would there be some benefit in it?

Fran
08-01-2007, 10:35 PM
As far as I know Moli gives her cats CLO. I would think any of the fish oils would be of benefit Alex

alexgirl73
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Right, will give it a try. If it doesn't seem to be of benefit I'll give you a shout for a few salmon oil ones Farn, thanks!

dandysmom
08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Not sure about this, Alex; that's why I didn't reply earlier. I take Omega 3 oil myself and would use it for Leia except she hates fish and am unsure if she'd eat her meaty foods with fish oil on it. Think it would benefit coats and general health, but defer to anyone who knows more about it......can't imagine how it could harm a cat, but Teddie's digestive system is so fragile that I don't know.....

Fran
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Here's a link I found. This site actually doesn't recommend CLO but does recommend other fish oils including Salmon. (Thinking about it now this is why I stopped giving my girls clo and switched them to salmon) There are plenty of other links if you do a google search Alex

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=nutritionalsupplementsforcatsanddogs

Rosie
09-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Daft question - but whey don't you just give them fish? My little Alfie loves his fish (sardines, tuna, pilchards etc). Rosie on the other hand only like the tuna and then it has to be the Hi-Life one.

alexgirl73
09-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Daft question - but whey don't you just give them fish? My little Alfie loves his fish (sardines, tuna, pilchards etc). Rosie on the other hand only like the tuna and then it has to be the Hi-Life one.

LOL, it's not a daft question:-D . If you check back in the health section you'll find that Teddie has had a lot of tummy problems which have caused her diarrhea very badly. All she actually eats at the moment is plain white fish, but as she's not growing much at all, I'm trying to find a supplement I can put on her food which will give her extra nutrients as it gets very scary in our household when you try to introduce anything new into her diet!