PDA

View Full Version : Tango & Bones's trip to the vet

Samz5
08-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Friday we took Bones to the vet for his annual kidney check up (he has Kidney disease) and Tango had to go because of his on going tummy problem.
Bones hates the car journey but likes it at the vet, and Tango doesn't mind the car but hates the vets.
Bones was given a check over and general prodding like they do, the vet said he was looking in good condition, I got him to check his last 4 teeth and as I suspected 2 more are rotting and need removing, so he had a blood test for his kidneys as usual and a pre anesthetic check up, the results came back ...... his kidneys are actually better than any other test result we've had since he was diagnosed 3 years ago and hes fine to have the anesthetic too- good news! Although I'm worried about him having the operation as its always a risk, and he is 12, he'll be having all 4 teeth removed this time rather than waiting for the other 2 to rot.

Tango has been on antibiotics for his problem for about 6 weeks, I don't know how much you'd remember but the problem was that a couple of months ago he started being sick a lot, and he got skinny and dehydrated and ended up laying on the floor looking like he was on his last legs, he recovered after a few weeks of antibiotics and when we took him off them he ended up in the same state again within a few days.
So hes had blood tests, ultra scans, x rays and all sorts, but nothing has shown up conclusively , at one point his liver showed up as being uneven in condition but now its all the same, but we don't know if this means the liver is all good or all bad - They can't tell that without opening him up and actually looking, but the blood tests don't show anything being wrong.
Friday he had another scan, didn't find anything new, more blood tests, again nothing new showed up, so we still have no idea what it is thats making him sick.
Good news was that hes put on 600 grams in 6 weeks which is about 20% of his body weight, the vet was suprised and happy about this.
So it looks like were not going to actually find out what is making him ill, the vet said we can run all the tests again but probably won't find anything new and as Tango is 13 nearly 14 he can just stay on the antibiotics longer term or for the rest of his life if needs be, we will just see how it gos, for now he has another 2 weeks of Clavaseptin and we may stop after they have gone depending on how its going to see what happens.

At the moment Tangos having good and bad days, on a good day hes happy, purry and playful but bad days he is sick and just sleeps like today.

Mags
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the update on the boys Sam , it must be such a worry for you ......... give them both a cuddle from me ;)

dinahsmum
08-01-2007, 03:58 PM
It's a good week for kidney patients. My Mini came out with a clean bill of health too!
Hope Tango will be OK

Fran
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Good news about Bones :D Hope Tango continues to improve and that you will eventually get a diagnosis x