PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Problems..

Luke
08-01-2007, 02:06 AM
Yet again i'm having trouble sleeping and this is ridiculous, i can't keep going on like this:roll: I've allways been a 'light sleeper', but never had trouble sleeping..well not really anway. The past fortnight or so its been funny..it started waking up in the night and then not being able to go back too sleep, it progressed too not being able too get too sleep until i physically clapped out, but now its gone onto not being able too sleep at all! The past three days i think ive had about 3 hours sleep if that..its ridiculous.
Admittedly there are things playing on my mind right now, and things going on but i'm not positive if this could be the cause..
I popped too see the GP Friday evening about this and the headaches, apparently the latter is down too my b.p being high..but doc didnt think the high b.p would be causing the sleep problems, he said the usual things..warm bath n that kinda jazz, understandably doesnt want too resort too sleeping pills as he doesnt seem them appropriate-nor me tbh. But all the warm baths, warm drink, trying too relax, quiet room, subtle lighting etc..not helping whatsoever.
So i really am at a wits end on what too do so i can sleep, and what the cause is..
Most curious..

dinahsmum
08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Poor Luke.
There's a theory that electrical equipment in the bedroom is a huge sleep inhibitor. Is your PC in your room? And a TV and a CD player? Maybe worth considering relocating them, if only for a trial period?
A few drops of lavender oil on your pillow, or on a hanky you can hold near your face is very soothing, even if it doesn't bring sleep immediately.
There's the acupressure sleep cones Mags tried. She had mixed results with them but they might be the answer for you.
Two other theories
- concentrate on visualising a piece of dark velvet. Don't let your thoughts stray elsewhere
- make yourself keep your eyes open. Don't shut them at all.
On the very rare occasions I've been stricken with this I've found the herbal sleeping aids - nytol herbal etc - have worked, and don't leave any stupid thickness of brain next day. But I'd only use them for 2 nights, to refresh myself, take away the stress of not sleeping, and allow a natural sleep pattern to return.

It's very easy to say and very difficult to do but the standard advice is - chill, relax, your body will make you take the sleep you need, etc, etc.
Good luck & take care.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_11_116.gif

Fran
08-01-2007, 10:56 AM
DM has offered some very good advice! Sometimes I think not sleeping can become a vicious circle, the more you try to sleep the harder it becomes if that makes sense :? You need to try and break this circle. Perhaps when you finally manage one good night's sleep it will break this circle - I hope! Are the pets disturbing you at all Luke?

dinahsmum
08-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I think you're right Fran - it becomes a vicious circle which you need to break.
When is gets realy established I think you need to get into the mind-training techniques. Cognative something or other? ... a three word phrase?

Sweet
08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
((((((hugs Luke)))))) x

Fran
08-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Cognative something or other? ... a three word phrase?

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) :)

Luke
08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanyou for the adviced folks..tv etc is up here but everything goes off at a certain time. I'm going to have a go with some of the thingsyou suggested DM, we have some lavender oil in the medicine cabinet so shall give that a whirl tonight.
Regarding the pets..i've booted them all out at night time! With that heard of baby elephants in with me i wouldn't stand a chance...but it also makes me think could it possible this is making it worse, by not being used too sleeping without the there..maybe..
Another thing is...the bed is too small *single* and is a strange style which makes it very low and awkward too, the matress is starting too go on it also-think these are big factors. Hae gotten the new double beadstead downstairs now..just awaiting a matress.
I was lucky and got back off too sleep this morning, not ideal but at least i don't feel such a zombie at the moment!!

dinahsmum
08-01-2007, 03:48 PM
You may just be right about the bed itself Luke. I splashed out and got a 6'9" bed for my (then) teenage son when he was about 6'1" and obviously going to be more! When you think that a standard bed is only 6'3" it's pretty obvious that some part of you is bound not to fit :roll:
It's not hugely expensive to have your bed manufactured to a non standard size - not anything like as expensive as you would think.
(As the Liverpool fans say of the very tall Peter Crouch - He's big, he's red, his feet stick out the bed :-D )

Hope you have sweet dreams with the lavender oil :)

Mags
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Luke, I really sympathise with you :( You've had very good advice from DM and Fran above, I would really think about a nice comfy bed too.....

I have a relaxing sleep CD by Glenn Harrold, he has an amazing voice:) One of his techniques is to visualise a clear blue sky with a small white cloud in the corner. Follow that cloud with your eyes as it moves very slowly across your vision until it has gone out of site. That is supposed to make you drift off to sleep before it reaches the other side.

I hope you soon get back into a good sleep pattern Luke.....

Kim
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
You've had some excellent advice Luke, hope something works soon! I recommed a warm, relaxing bath, and don't forget you can add some lavender oil, just a few drops. How about a mug of chocolate or horlicks before you go to bed? I find if I read in bed I soon fall asleep!

dandysmom
08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I hope some of this advice works for you, Luke! I too find reading in bed relaxes me enough to drop off; also think the new larger bed will help...when is the mattress coming? Very pleased that you're not trying sleeping pills; those things are subtly addicting and disturb normal sleep patterns!

borderdawn
08-01-2007, 09:43 PM
I too Luke have disturbed sleep patterns, have had for 9yrs now since being on meds. I have not slept a night in all that time, honestly, an hour, sometimes 2 but then awake, and thats how its been for 9yrs.

The advice you have been given is good, there are also herbal remedies that can help and are totally safe, maybe a trip to the health shop may be in order.
Dawn.

Mags
09-01-2007, 12:32 AM
I wonder if Luke is sound asleep now ........... I do hope so....:cool:

smudgley
09-01-2007, 12:44 AM
I wonder if Luke is sound asleep now ........... I do hope so....:cool:

i hope so too.
It must be an awful thing, not being able to sleep. I never have a problem nodding off, but imagine it must be horrible for those who do.
Hope you are snoozing away now Luke. :cool:

Mags
09-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Some nights I just get one or two hours ....... wish I could drop off as soon as my head touched the pillow :(:roll:

Ooops, Luke is still on Dogsey! :shock: Get your head down Luke! :D

tilly
09-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I too have had tons of problems sleeeping. I was also told that sleeping pills couldn't be given which was good as I didn't really want them and bad as I was knackered all the time. I tried this special milk called night time milk which might help you a bit. You can get it from waitrose and I think I saw it in sainsburys too. If not what i do is just lie on my bed and try and relax even if I can't sllep then at least i am a bit refreshed.
Or read a really boring book until you feel tired

hope you get some sleep soon
Sally

Luke
09-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Well i DID get some sleep last night, i forgot to turn off laptop though so i think i was still logged on everything:?
I got four hours, with only on interval of waking up after about an hour or so...i know it isn't great but its better than of late!
Lavender oil, big hot bath, reading a book and having ONE of the furry ones in with me seemed to do the trick..

dandysmom
09-01-2007, 05:41 PM
And which one of the furry ones would that have been,..? Glad you finally got some sleep & hope it breaks the pattern you've been in lately.....

Luke
09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
It was one of the dogs, Florrie, she's quite happy just too sleep by you..the cats cause too much trouble when darkness falls and Ralph..well he still sleeps in his crate with the door open downstairs..

dandysmom
09-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Part of it could be having booted the animals out: I've noticed that when Leia doesn't come to bed with me it takes a little longer to drop off..when you're used to an animal sleeping with you feels a bit odd when they're not there. Hope you sleep better again tonight; when is the new mattress coming?

dinahsmum
15-01-2007, 11:21 AM
We're not the only ones then. One in 5 has trouble sleeping, and January is particularly bad
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13562795,00.html

dinahsmum
17-01-2007, 03:37 PM
We're not the only ones then. One in 5 has trouble sleeping, and January is particularly bad
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13562795,00.html
and here's yet another similar article. What a pants month January is! :? http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/wellbeing/story/0,,1991199,00.html

Luke
17-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Sleeping improved, but has recently got worse once more. Just having to sleep in till later..but im finding it annoying as im running out of time to do things!!
New mattress still has NOT arrived so shall have to chase that up..

Mags
17-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Interesting piece in that article DM about the birds........I'm usually still awake at 3 - 4.00am so can confirm that they are starting their chorus that early - bit worrying really as I always think it is nearly time to get up then :?

logoes
17-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Luke, there are quite a few CDs of sleep inducing music available which might help you. But from you description of your sleeplessness you seem to have something niggling at your mind, and the more you worry about not sleeping the worse it becomes - believe me, I am one of the great number of insomniacs and know all about it. Over the years I've tried all sorts of remedies, even taking the dogs for walks when we had five acres of ground to walk in. The one thing I always do now if I cant sleep is get up and do something. Ironing, dusting etc., and always a warm drink.

Try 'games' - name all the breeds of dogs you know beginning with "A" and working through the alphabet, how many towns can you name, etc. it is to get your mind away from what is the niggle - and counting sheep is dead boring!!

You could always try a homeopathic remedy, it might work for you. Hope you get it sorted soon and have a good night. Logoes

EmmaG
17-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Luke you could try the herbal supplement called "Kalms" you can get them in Tescos.

They are not a sleeping pill but the blurb on the labels says "relieves periods of worry, irritability, stresses and strains" "Kalm tablets help promote natural sleep"

personally I think these tablets are amazing.

dandysmom
17-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Those CDs with soothing nature sounds are very good: used one of Ocean Surf a few years back when I was having trouble sleeping, and it really did relax me enough to drop of...worth a try......

Mags
17-01-2007, 11:08 PM
The CD I have is of a man with a very soothing voice, almost hypnotic.... telling you how to breathe and what to imagine in your thoughts. The Ocean Surf one sounds good though, I might try that one......

dandysmom
17-01-2007, 11:24 PM
The CD I have is of a man with a very soothing voice, almost hypnotic.... telling you how to breathe and what to imagine in your thoughts. The Ocean Surf one sounds good though, I might try that one...... http://www.serenitysupply.com/browse_purenaturesounds_1.htm Mags, here's a link to the place I got mine; if they don't ship overseas I'd be glad to order it for you.....

Mags
17-01-2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.serenitysupply.com/browse_purenaturesounds_1.htm Mags, here's a link to the place I got mine; if they don't ship overseas I'd be glad to order it for you.....
Thanks for that link Eileen, I've just listened to the soothing sounds of the sea!:D I should be able to get a CD in the UK alright, but thanks for the offer anyway Eileen;)

dandysmom
17-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Would have been glad to do it; all the help you've been to me! And...you finally tsught me how to post a link ......!!! :-D

Mags
17-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Would have been glad to do it; all the help you've been to me! And...you finally tsught me how to post a link ......!!! :-D
Thanks Eileen, if I get stuck over here I might take up your offer of help;)

dinahsmum
12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I've resurrected this ancient thread because I thought the poor sleepers might be interested in a new book by Paul McKenna - I Can Make You Sleep (http://www.bookrabbit.com/catalogue/detail/bookid/4944551/I-Can-Make-You-Sleep?s=gb), to be published immediately in the new year.
Maybe santa could pre-order you a copy?