PDA

View Full Version : Chicken wings!

dinahsmum
05-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Wish I'd had my camera handy. :?
Was at the butcher this morning and noticed he had chicken wings (sure there's a bad joke there! :roll: ) so I purchased 5 for the princely sum of 53pence. Gave one to Dinah after her walk and she really enjoyed it.
I've now given the boys one each. Wow!!!! Bentley, as I anticipated, grabbed it and growled and tucked in. Chester behaved with a bit more decorum but still chewed away. Bentley actually hissed when his bruvv looked at him! :) He's also chucked his in the air a couple of times. They are still struggling manfully with their trophies. I think Chester would prefer his cooked, diced and with gravy. I don't know how long they will take but it seems great - food and a pass-time! I'll have to wash the kitchen floor though.
So - at the moment I would thoroughly recommend raw wings for your cats but I'll keep you posted of any developments.

Fran
05-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Excellent news!! Way to go ;)

dinahsmum
05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Here's Bentley, nearly an hour on! :)
I think he is enjoying his first real taste of raw :)
[attach-center]457[/attach-center]

Kim
05-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Excellent!! Caleb has chicken wings for his dinner every day and raw chops and mince, he loves his raw diet!! The cats will 'steal' some of his raw mince sometimes, but have never showed much interest in the wings, having said that they're not in the bowl for long enough!! :lol:

alexgirl73
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I would so love to try that with my 3 but I'm too terrified of doing anything different to their diet any more. Bentley certainly seems to have enjoyed them though!

charliebubs
05-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Great pic DM!! Mine have chicken wings every so often, although it's only really Kuta that knows what to do with them!! The others just lick them or throw them about a bit. Kuta will eat the lot - bone and all - which is fab for her teeth as she doesn't eat dried food!! :)

I know what you mean about having to wash the floor afterwards, but I love them having the wings - it's so entertaining to watch!!! :)

BTW I buy a Sainsbury's value pack with about 10/12 wings in for just over £1.50 - bargain!!!

dinahsmum
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Well - great result. An hour eating, an hour washing and now just loads of zzzzzzz.
I had one piece left as just a joint with a bit of long bone each side and one where the fattest piece had been totally eaten and the rest played with. They're certainly getting the hang. I'll get them another next week and see if they do better.

dandysmom
05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for posting this; I'd been meaning to try them, but it sort of slipped my mind! Will give it go and see if Ms. Picky will eat one.......

Elaine
05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Think I might try my two with that very soon. Curiosity more than anything.

Mags
05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm curious too ....... just worry about the bones getting stuck in her throat or teeth :?

dinahsmum
06-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm curious too ....... just worry about the bones getting stuck in her throat or teeth :?
The concentration at grinding the bones is amazing. Here's a (bad, dark) video clip. You can barely see him but turn up the sound and listen to that scrunching! :shock: :) I think you hear me tweeting too :roll: ...and Chester doing a girlie meoww in the background.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/th_MOV02109.jpg

(http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/?action=view&current=MOV02109.flv)

Give it a try Mags!

Mags
06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow! That scrunching is amazing ...... sounds like he is really enjoying it too!!

I had the sound up full so you came out loud and clear DM!! ;):lol:

dinahsmum
06-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow! That scrunching is amazing ...... sounds like he is really enjoying it too!!

I had the sound up full so you came out loud and clear DM!! ;):lol:
:lol: :lol: I should have said :smt039 Hi Mags, Hi Nae, Hi Kazz, Hi Smudgley, Hi Luke, Hi Everybody, instead of just saying 'Bentley, Bentley' ;) :-D

Fran
06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Brilliant!! Great to see them enjoying their wings DM :cool:

CathyW
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
ill give my 2 a try with the chicken wings, nowing those 2 fussy wotsits they will turn their noses up.

Sweet
08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Awww bless x

EmmaG
09-01-2007, 12:13 AM
lol they seem to love them, I might give them a go on my two. Just a warning for anybody feeding animals raw food, (I believe it is more a problem in dogs though) is neosporosis canineum, a rare, but horrible and often fatal parasite.

More info found on this post (came from a forum I was on a few years back)

Have any of you heard of neosporosis canineum??????

Well, up to this week I had not, but I do know alot about this now. UNFORTUNATELY.
Last saturday we were having a barbeque and invited just a small group of local friends.. Stephen and I went shopping to Tesco early in the week, and as I am now disabled and walk with a stick, I suggested that we purchased some of the meat for the barby, for that weekend....... as I cant go shopping on my own ( thats why you dont see me at shows these days) basically killing two birds with one stone. We purchased many items, but amongst them were two large packets of lean minced steak, that I intended to make my own burgers from... as they were large packs, and on arrival home, did not know what to do for tea, so suggested spaghetti bolognaise....... I took about one third of the mince from one of these packets and put it in a pan...... all of the rest of the meat was then frozen for the weekend. My boxer then came into the kitchen and as I had not starting cooking then, I removed some of the mince and gave it to her......mmmmmmmm she loved it. Then stephen called her, a
nd her mother and fed the dogs , whilst I prepared the spag bol.

This was tuesday evening last week... then came friday and Cilla was starting to act strange. Hanging her head to one side, and slightly falling as if she was drunk. Saturday she seemed to stabalise and I thought a little better, and thinking she had an inner ear infection started her on a course of synulox 250 mg tablets three times daily, as the vet would. By monday she was worse so was rushed to the vets........ I was so upset, I could not rememeber half of what he said but he did say he was doing one particular test that had to be sent away. In either case, if it did come back possitive for neospora he would start her on the antibitics there and then, and he said the synulox I had given was good.

She was a little better on tues evening so was allowed home. still hanging her head to one side, and walking in circles and then falling over. We continued with the drugs, then, wednesday came and my vet rang to say the tests results were possitive. She was infected with neospora. We then racked our brains how she could get this awfull desease.....not virus! apparantly very few cases are reported, because it is masked by so many symptoms...

Neospora is a parasite that is ingested from contaminted meat, that is fresh, and from the consumption it only takes 1-3 days for the parasite to attack the brain, then work its way down the spinal cord, and infect all the major organs and mussles.......leaving the dog paralised and blind..... At 9.30 yesterday morning I had to have my beautifull Cilla eathanaised, to save further suffering.

On reserching this, on the internet, it mostly appears in cattle heards and clinicle tests have been carried out at liverpool university, and sweden, and the USA. It is usually more common in costa rica, south america, but is gradually showing up everywhere. Very few cases were reported last yr. the syptoms rang from a weekeness and paralysis of the forlimbs, drunken type behaviour, altered behavier, blindness, head tilt, head nodding, tremors, seizures,sudden death due to heart inflamation, pheumonia, skin abnormalities. Frightening isnt it?

It can only be ingested fron fresh meat, as freezing the meat will kill the spors.... cooked meat will kill the spors. As we eat very little meat ourselves, and never feed fresh uncooked meat to our dogs , I can definatly say that it was the fresh lean mince steak from tesco, that is the cause.

Neospora can not use humans as a host so if ingested the stomach will kill the spores, so dont worry there........ it only affects, cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, but has now moved to dogs, and research on the internet suggests ALL dog breeders be aware of this parasite. From the onset of ingesting the spores, my dog was dead within 8 1/2 days....... She was my constant house companion, and our hearts have been ripped apart. How many of you, when in the kitchen, preparing the evening meal, give some fresh meat to your dog... Please look it all up, its frightening to think that this is in the human food chain. Apparantly only one animal is inspected from each heard to be slaughtered, but thats this counrty. A lot of meat now comes from other countries..... if in doubt, still buy the meat, but FREEZE it before you intend using it for at least 24 hrs.

Cilla was 16 months and four days old, when she died.

Mags
09-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Emma, that was a tragic story :( but thank you for posting it as a warning to others.........

EmmaG
09-01-2007, 12:23 AM
I have read other stories about this Mags, it is a horrible way for a dog to die. Although rare it is something that could happen all too easily.

Fran
09-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Emma, I was under the understanding that this parasite occurs in beef and if the beef is frozen then that kills it?

Fran
09-01-2007, 12:26 AM
This is the reason that I never raise my pups on beef, only chicken and all the raw meat I feed to my pets is always frozen first anyhow ;)

EmmaG
09-01-2007, 12:34 AM
yes freezing does kill it I believe Fran. I think the warning is more for people who have purchased some fresh mince (not prefrozen) and give their dogs some as a "treat"

Fran
09-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Ah ok, well I have always advised anyone feeding raw beef to pre-freeze it first.

Sweet
09-01-2007, 12:14 PM
A sad tale :( x

charliebubs
09-01-2007, 03:09 PM
That's an awful story - I've got tears in my eyes now.

Can it affect cats too? I do sometimes give my cats a small bit of raw mince if I'm making a spag bol or lasagne.

Kazz
09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Oscar adores raw meat he'd happily line up with the dogs when they had raw stewing steak. He liked chicken wings too raw. But Cleo couldn't care less in fact she loks as if I am trying to kill her if I even hint at raw food :)

Luke
09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
It seems the boys really enjoyed those chicken wings DM!
Clem is a real big fan of raw beef, she could eat it for england and she argues with the dogs over who is to have the lions share, Bella isn't too keen on anything raw. I don't feed mine a complete BARF diet..its more of a treat, i would love to go totaly raw but i would worry about not getting the 'amount' of meat/veg/fruit etc correct and the diet being unbalanced, as it were.:?

PaulaB
28-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Excellent!! Caleb has chicken wings for his dinner every day and raw chops and mince, he loves his raw diet!! The cats will 'steal' some of his raw mince sometimes, but have never showed much interest in the wings, having said that they're not in the bowl for long enough!! :lol:

Can you give advice for someone wanting to change their cats diet from bog standard cart food to raw diet please? I have 3 cats and one dog (or blasted creature snitches on you whenever you have fun)

dinahsmum
28-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Here's a link Paula
http://www.catnutrition.org/pictorial.html
I still want to feed raw (especially after the recent scare with contaminated animal food in the US) but *still* haven't got round to getting the grinder and supplements. I will one day.
In the meantime mine have chicken wings or raw rabbit once a week.

PaulaB
28-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Here's a link Paula
http://www.catnutrition.org/pictorial.html
I still want to feed raw (especially after the recent scare with contaminated animal food in the US) but *still* haven't got round to getting the grinder and supplements. I will one day.
In the meantime mine have chicken wings or raw rabbit once a week.

Thanks you want to do the best for your cats don't you. Even though they try and kill you at times (ie the other week I woke up from a dream of being suffocated and had Queenie's bum on my face!)

Kay
29-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Looks like he is really enjoying that. Great pic.

Jac
29-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I couldnt get it to play. It sounds like they went down really well.
Do you think if I bought some I'd get a kiten?;)

As for the bit about raw mince with that poor boxer. What can I say? I was nearly in tears reading it.

PaulaB
29-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I have been trying to poison my cats today. I cruelly tried to get the poor little darlings Tippy and Socks to eat something that was obviously going to jump up and bite them or do something even more nasty, the nasty thing was

a piece of chicken!!!!!!!Wusses their mum gobbled it up straight away.

micki
15-09-2007, 06:53 PM
great thread, i'll remember to freeze all the chicken wings 1st before giving them to the cats from now on.

Fran
15-09-2007, 09:18 PM
great thread, i'll remember to freeze all the chicken wings 1st before giving them to the cats from now on.

Hi micki, you don't need to freeze raw chicken wings before giving them your cats. It's just beef that needs to be frozen hth

smudgley
15-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Neospora is a horrible condition, I've seen dogs with it & it's awful. :(

Although it can be contracted through raw meat, this is not the only way it can be contracted.

I know pups that have been born with it, to bitches that have never eaten meat!

Kay
17-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I am glad everyone's cats are enjoying their raw feeding but please be aware that raw feeding does not contain enough taurine and that cat food should always be fed as well (preferably dried) to supply the essentisl taurine. Lack of taurine can lead to heart problems which can be fatal.