PDA

View Full Version : Resp problems or paranoid?

JBalways2000
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
first of all, hello everyone! not been around for a while so hope everyone and everycat is ok?:D

im a bit concerned about Raven. he is skinnier then AJ(though AJ is a bit if a chubber lol) even though he eats just as much-im not sure if you would class him as skinny though-i might stick a piccie on later to see what you all think. along with this, his nose is always wet and when it gets cold in the house(which i try not to let it get) he does sneeze occasionally. im not sure if i can hear it on his chest sometimes too:? and one thing that definately concerns me as that twice now when we have been playing with the boys, Raven has ended up flat out on the floor panting. is panting normal in cats? we try not to play too hard and long with him now so that he doesnt wear himself out.

im saying all this, but he does seem fine in himself-he acts exactly the same as AJ other then the things i mentioned. they zoom around the house after each other, gobble up their food and treats, go the toilet normally etc etc. am i just being paranoid? or should i definately get it checked out?

just to point out that i have been the vets with them 3 times since getting them(they are just over 4 months old now) but every time i have mentioned the sneezing etc to the vets and they have checked them over and said they are fine. im not sure if a fully trust this vets and im thinking of changing and getting a second opinion. the last thing i want to do is get him neutered in a couple of months if his breathing isnt right. opinions are most welcome!

dinahsmum
05-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm not a vet but I think it is extremely unusual for a cat to pant (or is that just with heat .... oh dear, I don't know.) It doesn't sound quite right, but if he's been checked by a vet ...... But then again, if you're not happy with that vet.
Oh dear, I can see your dilemma.
My boys chase each other around and sometimes do it so much that they end up breathing heavily and fairly noisily for a little while but never panting.
Lovely to se you back - I hope someone will be able to help.

smudgley
05-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh dear :?
Difficult for you to descibe this on the forum & hard for us to give an opinion without seeing kitty, however I agree with DM it's very unusual for a cat to pant, I've only seen cats panting when in labour, so that would worry me a little, but as DM says if the vets happy with the cats health then hopefully all is well.
{unless there is an underlying problem that is not obvious to the vet}
How much smaller is Raven than the other kitty?

JBalways2000
05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
thanks for the replies. Raven isnt too much smaller then AJ-to be honest i probably wouldnt even be concerned over his weight/size if it wasnt for the other "problems". when ive had pets sick with resp problems in the past one of the big giveaways was them losing weight/being thin, so i guess thats whats making think the worse too. it was definately the panting that worried me the most:? do you think another visit to the vets is in order? or maybe even a second opinion else where?

im in the middle of a paying for a kitten pack at the vets im currently at otherwise id just register them elsewhere now(i have one installment to go when they are neutered and chipped) im just wondering whether to just do it now anyway. i think im worrying even more because i lost one of my bunnies the night before last to resp problems that came on only a few hours before he passed away:cry: so im even more paranoid about the other animals now. il try and get a picture of raven in a while next to AJ for you all to see.

Fran
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I've seen Claude pant after he has gone absolutely manic chasing the kitty-go-krazy around. I had him checked out as I thought it unusaul for a cat to pant but he was found to be absolutely fine. I think it's worth getting Raven checked over especially if he has an occasional sneeze too. Most vets offer a jeuvenille check up just before the age they are due to be neutered so it might be worth mentioning at this point if you are still worried?

JBalways2000
12-01-2007, 02:17 AM
fran, that puts my mind at ease a little that you witnessed your kitty panting after playing like crazy too!(oh, is the kitty go krazy good then? have been thinking of getting the boys one ever since i seen a video of it on youtube:lol: )

however, last night when Raven was doing his usual head nugde/purr routine he actually dripped from his nose onto my arm:? it was just like water, but definately from his nose. i know it cant be normal for him to have a constant wet nose as AJs never is. AJ does also sneeze occasionally but thats all that ive ever noticed with him. Raven does seem to breath a little heavier when hes sleeping too. i think i might even ring the vets and mention it all to them and explain ive been up before about the same thing and see what they say. i just dont want to end up taking him to the vets to be told theres nothing wrong with him when im sure there is:?

i did try to get a piccie of the boys next to each other earlier-it would have been perfect too because they were both stretched out right next to each other so you could clearly see the difference in their weight-but the batteries didnt work:roll:

does anyone have any ideas at all as to what could be wrong with Raven? id rather do a little reading before taking him to the vets so i can be prepared with questions and info about meds etc.poor boy, hes only 4 1/2 months old:(

i wonder, could how they lived when they were still with their mother be something to do with it? i mean, it was an accidental litter and the lady i got them off told me that they had basically stayed in her childrens playhouse outside the whole time they were with her:? she said they tried bringing the mom and kittens in but the mom moved them back to the playhouse:? im just wondering if they could have caught something living outside for the first 8 weeks of their lives. the fact that they came to me covered in fleas(after being told they didnt have anything) makes me wonder how well the poor mother cat was being looked after. i mean, obviously she was being let out to wonder without being spayed, so they couldnt have cared too much:mad:

alexgirl73
12-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I would definitely ring the vets, 'cause something doesn't sound 100% with this little fella. Get a second opinion if you have too. Good luck and keep us posted. x

Fran
12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
fran, that puts my mind at ease a little that you witnessed your kitty panting after playing like crazy too!(oh, is the kitty go krazy good then? have been thinking of getting the boys one ever since i seen a video of it on youtube:lol: )

Claude never had any other symptoms though, I think if this little fella has water dripping from his nose then he definitely needs to see a vet....do let us know how things go x

The Kitty-go-krazy has had mixed reactions here. As babies, Claude especially and Clooney loved it and they will still play with it now occasionally but the three Mezzer babies I have won't entertain it infact they seem quite frightened of it :?

JBalways2000
12-01-2007, 03:16 PM
i do want to take him to the vets again, but he has been 3 times previously and every time i have told them about how he is and that im concerned etc and they have always just told me he is fine. this is why i was hoping to read into it myself a little before going up there so i can go prepared for them to check him for different things-does that make sense? of course im going to bring him to the vets as im the one thats worried about him lol i do want to give the vets im with one last chance before getting a second opinion, but only if i can go prepared otherwise i will end up very annoyed if im told "hes fine" for the fourth time. even if some could tell me what sort of things the vet should be checking for and how they should check him etc? just so that i know everything is being done right. im starting to wish that id just used my original vets from the beginning:mad:

infact, if anyone knows of any kitty health web pages i could check for his symptoms or anything similar id really appreciate it.

Jac
12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
To be honest I wouldnt be happy with a drippy nose. Go to another vet if your not happy with yours. You can stil go back and get them chipped ect if you want to.
Infact If I were you I would be going to another vet anyway. Good luck

dinahsmum
12-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Don't know if this can be of any health. There don't seem to be as many sites on cat health than for dogs
http://www.pethealthcare.co.uk/
Unfortunately, you can often read all these exotic illnesses and 'buy' them all.