PDA

View Full Version : Wet or Dry?

RRR
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
There seems to be a lot of different views on feeding wet or dry. I feed my kittens on wet 4/5 times a day and they have dry available 24/7. I was talking to someone at work yesterday and they looked after a neighbours cat recently that only got fed on dry twice a day.

I didn't think this was very nice for the cat to be honest. Surely eating the same thing day in day out for your whole life is incredibly boring!

Even with my ferrets I feed them 4 different types of dry food along with their daily meat. I would hate it if I had to eat the same stuff all the time (unless it was chocolate... :lol: ... then I may be persuaded!)

Naomi
03-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Mine are fed dry 2/3 times a day. Cos of the colder weather coming in I've started giving wet food in the morning with a dish of dry, dry available all day and a little bit of wet mixed with dry in the evenings.

In the warmer months I avoid giving wet food as it does encourage the flies a bit.

kado
03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
All my cats are on dry. Simons on a presciption only diet for struvite crystals which is getting harder to maintain as they have there food down all the time. They just went off there wet food. My friend took her cat marmaduke to vets yesterday the vet said if a male un-neutered indoor cat is on dry food it is more likely to form struvite crystals this is a fact that my vet didnt tell me.

RRR
03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Do you vary the dry food you give them?

I can understand about the wet feeding during the warmer months. I feed the ferrets meat late in the evening during the summer so will probably do the same for the cats as well as they will be older by then and wont need feeding so much.

I gave them chicken for the first time yesterday and they loved it! I have the scratches on the back of my legs to prove it too!! They couldn't wait for me to give them more, they were trying to climb me to get it quicker! lol

alexgirl73
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
My 2 boys get fed dry food 24/7 and wet food once in the morning and again at night. Tedd ie doesn't get any dry and is fed fish morning and night.

Snoof
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I feed both, and have done for years. When not pregnant or nursing, a cat in my house has dry down all the time (I do try to vary the flavours) and gets a pouch of wet in the morning and one in the evening.

Sashimi is, of course, nursing the kittens at the moment and is being fed on demand. She has dry down all the time (kitten) and is getting wet pouches when she asks for them (3-4 times a day, also kitten).

Naomi
03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I do vary flavours but my cats only seem to like the Tesco's own dry food and won't eat the fish flavoured foods.

RRR
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
My kittens are given tesco kitten biscuits but that was purely because I couldn't find any other dry food other than Go cat at the time, they like them so I have stuck with them.

What wet food would you all recommend for kittens?

hamish
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I used to feed all my cats dry complete, usualy brekkies salmon,trout and pilchard flavour and they loved it. i found it easy to use and i could leave out all day for them to go to it as they wanted. I had to stop using it as Willow developed stones in her bladder and is on s/d, so both mine are on moist diets. it was a nightmare to get her to eat wet food, it was days before she started to eat. I feed mines in the morning and when i get in at about 5

Rosie
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
My two are fed only twice a day usually a mixture of wet and dry but I do give them fish and chicken fairly regularly.

tilly
05-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Buster used to be on just dry food but he got cysitis and is now on wet s/d as it is not worth risking him getting a blocked bladder.
Tilly is fed wet and dry she is getting pouches moring and evening and sometimes I change the one of her meals for dry food. She is a very picky eater though and I am trying to feed her up a bit at the moment so she gewts little bit when she wants them as well.

Sally

Tanya
07-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Oli has dry food 24/7 and is given wet food at intervals during the day. I found that he got bored of wet kitten food very quickly, so he has adult meat and kitten biscuits (so he still gets lots of goodness! ;) )

smithdouglaswood
07-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Smokey would only eat wet!

Fluffy and Tom have wet in the morning and tea-time but have dry available 24/7 but normally they have a nibble of it for their supper!!

teenytiny
08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
My cats have a bowl of dried out 24/7 which they help themselves to. I feed them on wet food too, once in the morning and once at at dinner time. They are the fussiest cats ever (or have I made them fussy :? ) and will only eat Felix wet food. They are fed on a variety of dried foods, but mainly Pro Plan. They also like Purina One, Highlife, Go Cat, James Well Beloved, and Hills. They hate shops own brands :roll: , wont touch whiskers or brekkies dried. I feed them all different flavours, as like you say - who would want to eat the same thing day in day out :? I buy them poultry and fish flavoured foods.

My mum used to feed her male cat on dried food only and at the age of 3 he got very very ill. He was found to have kidney stones and repeatedly suffered from urine infections. The vet said this was due to being fed dried foods all the time. He is now on a prescription dried food, along with plenty of wet food!