PDA

View Full Version : Kitty who -Loves- Water

Stacer
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I have a year old Male Cat, who has this odd love for water. He will get into the sinks, tub, toilets and splash around. At first it was cute and funny. But now he is starting to tip over anything that has any sort of liquid in it. That goes for water even to soda. And now he has started to "splash" around in his waterdish. It is one of the waterdishes with the jug that dispences the water. Their food and water is in a little utility room. We go in and there is a puddle around the dish which then turns into a little stream that leads to the open door. And there is another massive puddle. Right outside that door is rug, which gets soaking wet from the cat somehow magicaly going from a puddle to stream and back to puddle. I know this must sound odd, but I have no idea what to do. We have tons of toys for him, so I am not sure if he is bored or not. But the water things has to stop. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop it? Please help! I'm willing to hear anything.

Jac
02-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Is it a Bengal? I ask because they are known for there love of water.
Sorry dont know how to stop it but I'm sure someone will have an idea or three:D

Naomi
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I have no idea how to stop it but my hubby's mum used to own a cat who'd happily jump in the bath or the sink when full and have a little swim.

dinahsmum
02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
One of mine quite likes water but isn't as bad as your guy! It must be annoying now it's no longer amusing.
Is there anything you can do to distract him and find something else he likes to play with?
That's the best I can come up with for now - I hope someone has some answers for you.

Welcome to the forum, by the way

alexgirl73
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Sorry can't help with this, but how about looking into buying him a water fountain instead of a water bowl. He wouldn't be able to make as much of a mess. Welcome to catsey!

Sweet
02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Aww bless x

Kay
02-01-2007, 11:07 PM
All 9 of mine are fine with water and can be bathed but they don't seek it out. I think the water foutain idea is good or maybe a rabbits drinking bottle. The breeder of my cat, Kisses, uses them for all her cats with great success. To get them used to it she rubbed the metal spout with the oil from tuna fish. It sounds like anything is worth a try. Good luck in a puddle/stream free home.

dinahsmum
03-01-2007, 10:48 AM
The rabbit bottle is a good idea.
Or you might think of trying clicker training to eliminate the unwanted beheviour? http://www.clickertraining.com/cattraining

hamish
03-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Keira loves the water, i will find her in the dogs bowl splashing the water out, sometimes i find a large puddle on the kitchen floor and an empty bowl. But she hates getting wet herself. i think she may be part bengal, she has got the markings. Willow will ignore her water bowl but will drink out a running tap.

Your best bet would be a water fountain

dandysmom
03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
My Pura boy used to knck over water bowls or anything with liquid in it' think he just liked to watch the water spread...never played in it. Think the water fountain sounds like your best bet; good luck!

Stacer
05-01-2007, 02:21 PM
My cat is so crazy! I believe I found out the real reason to why he is playing in his water. He seems to only do it right after he has used the litter box. Because the water is always very dirty after he plays in it. So, I think he is cleaning his paws! He dose have long hairs on the bottom of his paws, so I think maybe he his getting litter and other icky things stuck in fur or perhaps even stuck between his pads. He only started to do it with this new litter, which is extra scoop able. So now I ask you, to help him with not getting things stuck...would it be safe to snip the hairs a little closer to his paws?
-The mama of a very odd little cat.

charliebubs
05-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I think it would be okay to snip his paw hair, but perhaps a better idea would be to put another bowl down? A heavy one so that he can't knock it over, but so he can wash his paws in that and then still have drinking water??
The other idea I had was a water feature in the garden that he could slosh around in without making puddles in the house??
Good luck anyway!!
:)

lisa0307
05-01-2007, 05:28 PM
We had a male Tabby that loved water...he use to jump into full baths, tip over the bird bath, chase water that ran down the drain...loved rain...you name it, if it was to do with water he loved it. He eventually grew out of it but it took a few years:lol:

Tanya
07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Oli used to love water, until he fell in my bath full of scoulding hot water. He is not so keen on the bath now! :)

Hreow
08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Uh... wouldn't it be much better and safer to just change the litter to something that doesn't stick to his paws? *Before* it is a habit, rather than a solution to his dirty feet.

I think the rabbit-bottle is a better idea than the fountain. Rover manages to make a *right* mess with his and you then have the additional worry that the cat will scoop out/splash/remove enough water to lower the water-level enough to make the motor burn out. Our fountain has been bannished to the garage for that reason.

Lenore
09-01-2007, 10:20 PM
You should count yourself lucky, my cat Newt loves vodka!!:o He can always tell if a drink has vodka in it and will hang around until your back is turned at which point he will be up there with his face in it lapping it up while wincing at the bubbles from the mixer popping on his nose!

He is a sod, but i loves him:D