PDA

View Full Version : Poor, cold & very wet stray dog

charliebubs
02-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Yesterday afternoon I noticed a dog wandering around the street where I live. It was walking in the road and was very wet. I went out and talked to him and he came over to me without any problem. Then I noticed that one of my neighbours down the road came out of their house and fed the dog, so I left him to it for a bit.

A while later though the dog was still there and it was raining again. I took it out some cat food, which it ate in about 2 seconds :) then I came back in the house to phone the RSPCA and the dog was scratching at my front door trying to get in. :(

I was disappointed that no rescue centre seemed willing to help, I know it was New Years Day and by this time it was about 5pm, but still the poor dog was soaking, cold and hungry. I couldn't bring it into my house because of my cats.

So, I rang the RSPCA and they didn't want to know. They said to call the local dog warden at my council. I rang the council and they didn't want to know either. They said that the dog wardens hadn't worked since before Xmas Eve and there were none on duty yesterday. I then rang the local emergency vets and they couldn't help either, and I got the same response from another local dog rescue centre. Finally, I called the police on someone's suggestion. They said that they could take it into the police station kennels, but they wouldn't come and collect him! They said that I would have to take him there, but as the station where the kennels are located would be closed I would have to ring the buzzer and wait.......

So, I did this.

By this time there was another neighbour across the road who came out of her house with some food for the dog and said that she had rung the RSPCA too. I said that I would take the dog.

I got a blanket and laid it on the back seat of the car and managed to get the dog into it. He was really quite a sweet dog!! He wasn't keen on the drive I don't think and kept jumping into the passenger seat and then back into the back seat........fairly dangerous!! Anyway, we got to the police station with the kennels, I managed to get out the car and leave the dog in there and went and rang the buzzer. I presume it went through to the central control room, they took my details and said that I should wait in the car and they would send a patrol car down. I told them that I didn't have a collar or lead for the dog, so they would need to bring one.

Needless to say, they didn't!!! I waited in the car with this poor dog for nearly an hour outside the station until an officer finally arrived. There were fireworks going off locally and the dog was getting wound-up by them and barking. Poor fella!! :(

So, the officer managed to get me a lead, but no collar!! So, we had to make a bit of a make-shift slip-collar-lead-type-thing!! and I followed the officer through the station to the kennels at the back and put the poor doggy in there. It was fairly tiny, but at least it was warm and dry and he was given some food and water.

Phew..........that's turned out to be a long story!!!! Sorry!!!!

The point I wanted to make was that it's a shame that more of the animal rescue places weren't willing to come and rescue this poor stray. :(:(

alexgirl73
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Poor, poor baby!! Well done you Charlie for persevering! I've found that in the past too. I know that animal shelters are full to bursting but surely there has to be some sort of plan in place for this type of scenario. Hopefully this poor wee dog will end up in a warm and loving home very soon. ((hugs))

dinahsmum
02-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Well done CB - lets hope he either gets reclaimed to a loving home which had just 'lost' him for a short while (ran away scared because of the fireworks? etc) or that he finds a loving new home. He sounds a friendly soul, so good luck to him
And you're right - it should be easier for people to get help - no matter if it is New Year

Naomi
02-01-2007, 03:30 PM
It is a shame that most rescue centres are full and are unable to take in any strays.

Good luck to the little fella.

Jac
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Dont supose they thought of scaning him?
What a shame. I know the council here have an emergency warden for such events. (I used them a while ago) They didnt come out easily though. I had to explain that I already had 2 dogs and 2 cats and a young child before they would collect the dog:roll: Oh well maybe one day it will be easier.
Well done you for not giving up.

Kim
02-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Poor fella. Well done you for persevering. Let's hope he finds a good home soon.

Mags
02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Well done Charlie for showing such care :D

I hope the little fella will soon find a loving home......

logoes
02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Well that is about par for the course regarding the RSPCA - dog wardens etc. My friend was told to leave a dog to die when she found it injured at the roadside, she called her own vet to it, and I found a stray GSD, called the local RSPCA, Dog Warden, Vets,Shop, PO etc and finally the police who came out fairly quickly, took one look and said he was too old to become a police dog so they weren't interested. Finally I did track the Dog Warden down and took the dog to him. It was claimed,it had been left with owner's father while owner was away and the dog had slipped his collar the poor father had been frantically looking for the dog, including asking in the shops where I had already been.!!!!!! Logoes.

Sweet
02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I hope he/she finds a loving home x

Fran
02-01-2007, 08:30 PM
What a sad story :( I am so pleased you persevered and that the dog was fed and warm for the night. Well done Charlie :cool:

charliebubs
04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys! :)
He wasn't claimed and appeared on the local news last night - unfortunately along with many other dogs that were handed to the police and dog wardens over the Xmas/New Year period and are now in a local re-homing centre.

I was almost tempted to go down and visit him!!! He was such a lovely sweet dog and if I didn't already have 5 cats..........

dinahsmum
04-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Let's hope his elevation to TV star means that people will be clamouring to adopt him! It's amazing that a bit of media exposure can work like that.
Fingers crossed; sure he'll find the home he deserves http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1071.gif