PDA

View Full Version : Pc has mind of it's own, please help...

teenytiny
02-01-2007, 04:39 AM
I have never had a problem with this pc before now :roll: It has started having a mind of it's own and I am not impressed. It's only 18mths old :o

I'm surfing away, or doing something else, and all of a sudden *without any warning what so ever* the whole computer turns itself off!

Have to start the system all up again, after a lil while, same thing *without warning*

Please, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it...the mind boggles here :roll:

yola
02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Does it just die completely?? My last PC went to this weird kind of blue screen and then after a while switched itself off. Also used to blow fuses like no tomorrow!!

It does sound like something quite serious . . . just to be on the safe side I'd back up all images/files if I were you. If it crashes irretrievably you may either loose all your information or have to pay quite a lot to have it retrieved of the hard disk (I speak from experience here . . . :roll: ).

Other than that, no real suggestions - sorry!

Jac
02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Dont want to worry you but it sounds like a virus.
We had one exactly like that a few years ago and the only thing we could do was get another pc. We did try to get it "fixed" a few times.
What firewall, anti spyware ect do you run?

dinahsmum
02-01-2007, 11:03 AM
My first computer did this. So frustrating!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_14.gif
I'm afraid it was terminal - the motherboard, maybe? Don't remember. Anyway, it wsn't fixable. Agree with Yola - get your precious things backed up and see if the guarantee still holds.

Naomi
02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I had that problem a few months back. Took it to a local computer shop and they had to build me a new system (custom built). Fortunately it had another month's warranty so I didn't have to pay anything. Was really annoying tho cos I was without a PC for 3 days :shock:

teenytiny
03-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Does it just die completely?? My last PC went to this weird kind of blue screen and then after a while switched itself off. Also used to blow fuses like no tomorrow!!

!

No. no funny screen or anything, just literally switches off and I have to re-start the system again.

I have a good quality anti-virus and have scanned the whole system and there's nothing :?

It hasn't done it at all today, but saying that it may do it 5 times tomorrow :roll: it seriously does what it likes :lol:

Looks like I will have to call someone out to look at it.....

Moli
03-01-2007, 01:00 AM
I had problems tonight with the pages on here freezing, had to turn off and turn on again, and my comp is only 2 months old, so can't be it...

Mags
03-01-2007, 01:15 AM
My comp keeps going offline ......... happened about 8 times already tonight. :(

dandysmom
03-01-2007, 02:57 AM
I have a Mac, which isn't virus prone, but sometimes here on Catsey it just "locks up" and nothing will get it to move, so just log off, wait a few minutes and log back on and everything works OK again...don't understand why...:smt017

Fran
03-01-2007, 09:24 AM
My laptop did this a while ago and I had to have a new motherboard put in it :( It was only a year old :shock:

Tom
03-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I have a Mac, which isn't virus prone, but sometimes here on Catsey it just "locks up" and nothing will get it to move, so just log off, wait a few minutes and log back on and everything works OK again...don't understand why...:smt017

Yep Eileen, mine does that alot too :( :( :cry:

dandysmom
03-01-2007, 09:49 PM
So Mags gremlins work across the Pond also??? Thought it was just something I was doing....or not doing!! :-D

Mags
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: little terrors get everywhere Eileen!

dandysmom
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
:-D :-D :-D We need some gremlin traps !!

teenytiny
08-01-2007, 12:06 PM
My laptop did this a while ago and I had to have a new motherboard put in it :( It was only a year old :shock:

Fran, funny you should say this as my brother knows his stuff about computers and he said it sounds like the motherboard. Have you any idea how much I'm looking at to have that fixed? If it's too much money I will just replace the tower I think :shock: After I've done that I will have much enjoyment of putting a hammer through the bl@@dy thing :-/ :smt071 :smt075 :cat29

Fran
08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Have you any idea how much I'm looking at to have that fixed?

I haven't really got a clue tbh, mine was done under guarentee. What about giving a computer shop a ring and just asking their opinion of cost for a new motherboard?

Hope it can be fixed and doesn't need replacing x