PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant cat/new mum.

Snoof
01-01-2007, 09:23 PM
As you know, we've only known Sashimi when she was pregnant - until she had her kittens that is. We read up a lot online as we wanted to make sure we'd do right by her and the kits, and found out that she would be more cuddly when pregnant than when not...

Now when she was pregnant she had all these little things she did - she didn't like being touched near the base of her tail (this has stopped entirely since she had the kittens and she now adores it, but I suspect she's in heat again :roll: Roll on Valentine's Day when we can get her spayed!), and if you stroked her near her tummy she didn't like it (although she urged me to do so when she was in labour), she only learned to lie on people's laps shortly before she gave birth (but it seemed like a complete epiphany when she did :smt007 Purrs galore), and she would randomly get annoyed with you mid-stroking and, still purring, attack your hand.

We expected her to get even more finicky when she'd had the kittens, but she's actually got more cuddly since, starting the morning before she had them when she absolutely would not leave my side (to the point of aiming herself at me to have the first one :lol: :roll:). She's constantly asking for snuggles now (which she did use to do but nowhere near as much) and when we stroke her while she's in the box as we check on the kittens, she tries to guide our hands to her nipples and licks them as if she thinks our hands are kittens.

She's never been uncomfortable with us being near the kittens, and had no issue in fact with me picking them up when they were still soggy and I needed to put them in the box and cut the cord on Wasabi.

She seems to be doing a complete 180 on what "the authorities on the subject" expect her to be doing. Will she get more distant when the kittens are weaned or when she's been spayed, or was she just uncomfortable being moved while pregnant and is she in all likelihood just this loving of a cat?

The situation she was put in, being moved mid-pregnancy, is really a shame (and I've given her previous owners a piece of my mind), but she fit in right from the start. I'm just wondering if that could've caused her to be this way or if the sources we've been reading maybe had it wrong?

alexgirl73
01-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I've no experience of pregnant cats, but to my mind she sounds like a very loving little cat who knows that she has landed the kitty jackpot in being adopted by you. x

dinahsmum
02-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Sounds like she knows which side her bread is buttered!
Also, I suspect all your work with Ninja is coming into play and you are unconsciously speaking to her incredibly positively and lovingly in cat language.
Long may it continue.

yola
02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I think all cats are different and their reactions to situations will depend entirely on their circumstances.

Sashimi has had a unique set of conditions during her pregnancy and therefore it's understandable that she doesn't react in a textbook manner.

But you obviously have a natural afinity to reach out to cats that don't fit the traditional mould. Long may it continue :D

Snoof
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks all :-) To be fair, she's a very special girl. She's got a personality all her own (and isn't that why we love cats?) and behaves impeccably! We do miss her sleeping at the top of the stairs, but before too much longer she'll be able to do that again!

And maybe... Just maybe... We'll keep two of the kittens instead of just one.

Maybe ;)

alexgirl73
02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
ooohhh! someone's smitten!

Kay
02-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Sounds perfectly normal to me. All my girls have no problem with the kittens being handled from birth and I believe this makes happy, contented kittens that will settle anywhere. She obviosly feels totally at ease with you and is showing you by giving you her complete trust with her precious babies. Keep up the good work.

Snoof
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks Kay :-) I tried to give you a ring during the birth but your phone was engaged :lol: I was freaking out about having to cut a cord.