PDA

View Full Version : Blind cats

teenytiny
01-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Does anyone else have a blind cat?

Do they go outside?

Do you think their life is much different to that of a cat who isnt blind?

Any comments would be appreciated as I have a 4yr old blind cat....

dandysmom
01-01-2007, 08:55 PM
My Misty went blind when she was about 18 or so. She was so good at getting around that I didn't even realize it for quite some time: thought her slight awkwardness in jumping up was just a sign of old age and arthritis. She was an indoor cat: was leash trained and went out for a stroll daily, but got out of the habit as she aged, so never went out after losing her sight. I personally wouldn't let a blind cat out at all unless you had a closed area like a walled or fenced garden. They can find their way around the house amazingly well; fortunately I am not one to re-arrange furniture, etc.! Misty went in her sleep at 19 1/2, and was happy and purring till the day she died. Hope this may have been of some help to you.......

Elaine
01-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Many many years ago I had a blind kitty. Winstons brother Mutley. He was blind from birth. He was the coolest and most fearless kitty I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He had very little sense of fear which can be a double edged sword at times. He loved to wonder out in the back garden and chase the flies etc. We did have to be carefull that nothing startled him or frightened him on the stairs as he did take a tumble once. Picking him up also had to be done slowly and carefully, a friend of mine once picked him up too quickly and he jumped from her arms and landed on his head, the poor we lamb. I had to rush him to the vets as he had quite a nasty bang and needed an injection to take the swelling down. Other than that he was an excellent little character and very friendly and playfull. Sadly at the age of 5 we lost him, he had an abcess in his mouth and although this was being treated, he went down hill very fast and died. Poor little mite, my vet felt that he should have been ok and asked if they could take a look inside to find out why he died. I agreed to this and they discovered he had the kidneys of a very old cat and a lesion on his heart.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/Misc/Picture160.jpg

dandysmom
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Touching story, Elaine, and a lovely boy!

Elaine
01-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Both he and Winston were little belters. Winston was always very good with him and they would play ambush alot which was very funny to watch.

Kim
01-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Mutley sounds a cutie Elaine - a very touching story.

I have no experience of a blind cat, however I think cats are very adaptable (if Sidney is anything to go by!) and manage well despite disability. I think I would be extremely wary of letting him outside though, unless he can be confined to your garden. Just my thoughts, as I say I have no experience.

teenytiny
02-01-2007, 02:54 AM
Elaine thats a shame about your cat.

My cat was always an indoor cat until we moved here 3 years ago. She never seemed happy as an indoor cat, and would try and climb out of windows at every available opportunity.

I got her when she was 6wks old. I don't think she was blind then. She certainly wasnt blind at 4mths old. My husband would get home from work and she would run straight up the back of his legs and back, and sit on his shoulder. However, when she was roughly 6mths old I started to notice that her sight must have a problem. She had been having trouble jumping, and climbing, and I noticed her bumping into things. I took her back and forth to my vets over the course of 5mths. I paid over £600 in tests to find out the problem, however I was not told a thing. I finally found out that she was blind when she was 11mths old.

We moved here 3 years ago, and we didn't let her out for a few weeks (it took her ages to get used to the house) but my other cats were let out after a few days or so. She finally decided that she DID NOT want to stay indoors any longer, and she ventured outside. I have 6ft fencing around the whole of the garden, and she wont climb or jump any higher than about 1ft anyway, so she will never get out of our garden, and she never has so far.

She is good on the whole, she has made her own toilet patch at the back of our garden bless her. Recently she has been refusing to go out.

She seems a happy, content cat. I do however, worry about her long term. I think she could have damaged kidneys. There must be an explaination as to why she was born fully sighted, but by the time she was 6mths old she was blind?????

Snoof
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Cats use their whiskers/eyebrows to "feel" their way around, and aside from jumping (obviously) they should be fine. I don't think I'd let a blind cat out unsupervised, but aside from that I've been told they lead very normal lives.

If your garden is impossible for them to get out of, obviously it's not so much of a problem ;)

Elaine
02-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I can only really speak about my own personal experiences but Mutley had a very good 5 years with only the odd misshap. A little different for him as he was born blind and knew nothing else. As far as we and he were concerned he was perfectly normal.
Have you had any blood tests done to check the kidney function?