PDA

View Full Version : Lazy moggy sleeps 24/7

teenytiny
01-01-2007, 06:06 PM
My black and white cat is 4 years old, she will be 5 in june.

She is blind.

She used to sit around the house, or she would sit out in the garden for hours on end...but this is how she enjoyed spending her time. I know the weather is cold, but she refuses to go out at all now. She sleeps on my bed, or in her cat bed (which is also in my room) and she comes down once or twice a day to be fed, and she comes down once...very late at night, to go out.

Sometimes she doesn't come down to go out at all, and we get up in the morning to a massive, and I mean MASSIVE puddle of pee by my front door. Sometimes a nice poo too :mad:

I dont want to put a litter tray down, as I have another cat who goes out, and I also have a dog :? But at the same time I want my cat to go out like she used to.

Any ideas would be appriciated.

P.s I do pick her up and put her out if she hasnt been out during the day, but she goes frantic and tries to get back through the glass door, meowing frantically. :? :? :?

alexgirl73
01-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Maybe something has frightened her outside, I've no experience of this type of thing I'm afraid, but it sounds to me like she doesn't want to go outside anymore and I think you may have to litter train her instead.

Fran
01-01-2007, 07:33 PM
It does sound like she has had a bad experience outdoors and being blind it must be much more worrying for her than a cat that can see. I personally would be worried about letting a blind cat outdoors anyhow. It must be degrading for her too not having anywhere for her to do her business indoors. I would seriously consider giving her a litter tray (Perhaps you could put it upstairs so the dog would be less likely to get to it?) and letting her stay inside where she obviously feels safe and secure :)

kado
01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
My cat guinness is exactly the same. He cant be bothered to go out he prefers to sleep all the time eats and uses the litter tray then goes back to sleep but the funny thing he has just started to play with a very tiny toy mouse. He is rather big boy but he his happy. i would put a litter tray down for her. guinness is 18 months and i dont think he will ever change.

tilly
01-01-2007, 08:55 PM
My cat tilly sleeps all the time ands doesn't go out she has got a littertray though.
Sally

Elaine
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree with Fran and Alex. When my blind cat used to go out, he was always acompanied by me so I could keep an eye out for him. I would certainly be making sure he had a littler tray inside for his own sense of security and dignity.

Mags
01-01-2007, 11:17 PM
If she is indoors for most of the time I think she should definately have a litter tray, it sounds like she feels safer and prefers to spend her time indoors for some reason........

teenytiny
02-01-2007, 03:11 AM
[QUOTE=Fran;327487] I personally would be worried about letting a blind cat outdoors anyhow. It must be degrading for her too not having anywhere for her to do her business indoors.

She has been going out for the last 3 years without any trouble at all. Our garden has 6ft fencing all around, and she wont jump or climb higher than 1ft so no chance of her getting out the gaden. She used to love sitting in the garden. I always leave the patio doors open for her too so she has freedom of coming in and out.

She has always done her business outside too, she has even made her own lil cat toilet down the end of the garden. I usually go outside with her, or my husband does, if she goes out late at night.

Don't get me wrong, she absolutly loves going outside, she would never normally choose to stay inside, this is how I know something is up.

I was chatting to my neighbour earlier on today, and I told her I had put this thread on Catsey. She informed me that my neighbours who live the other side of me had been throwing things at the fence a lil while back, and the banging noise could be whats scaring my cat. I am going to have a word with them, I have a feeling it's the boys (teenagers) who live there.

Many thanks for your comments ;)

alexgirl73
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Hopefully you'll get it sorted out for her TT!

Elaine
02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I was chatting to my neighbour earlier on today, and I told her I had put this thread on Catsey. She informed me that my neighbours who live the other side of me had been throwing things at the fence a lil while back, and the banging noise could be whats scaring my cat. I am going to have a word with them, I have a feeling it's the boys (teenagers) who live there.

There in lies the answer;) . I bet thats exactly it. Wish you well for your little chat with them but sometimes these things can result in poor neighbor relations. Do you know the neighbors well at all? I sincerely hope it all goes well.

Sweet
02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I hope you can get it sorted soon x

Kay
02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
That definitely sounds like the problem but until she gets over it I would introduce a litter tray. Being blind it will probably have shaken her more than a seeing cat and therefore could take longer to get over. Cats are generally clean animals and because she hasn't got a tray she is having to do it in places she wouldn't normally do it in and she probably hates it. Give her a tray so she can be clean again until she is prepared to go back outside. Although I have to agree with Fran that she would perhaps be better off inside. All 9 of mine are indoor cats and are fine. Hope everything sorts itself out one way or another.

teenytiny
08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Just to update you on our situation.....

I have had a word with my neighbours about the son throwing things at the fence to scare my cat :evil:

They apologised and said it wouldn't happen again. I got quite rude with them when they said " What's the problem it's only a cat" I politly told them she is MY cat and is blind. I am :oops: to admit that I replied to them " When you pay my bl@@dy mortgage then you have a say at what goes on in my house/garden" !!

My cat is now venturing outside again. I have had to take her out and stay outside with her as a precaution and to give her the confidence she needed to rebuild again outside.

The other night she sat in the garden -in the freezing cold- for hours just sitting there. I am so chuffed she has the confidence back. She wouldn't even come back in when I called her :roll: I had to pick her up and bring her in!

To those who have suggested keeping her inside, yes I agree it may be an easier option, but if you knew my cat....you just cannot keep her inside. She loves the outside world and I don't see why I should deney her that freedom, just coz she is blind :?

yola
08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
TT - you know your cat best and I'm glad she seems to be venturing out again now. Also that your neighbours have responded positively to your requests.

Mags
08-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Pleased to hear your cat has got her confidence back TT and enjoying herself outdoors again :D