PDA

View Full Version : Long hair past 30!!

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Opinions please! I have quite long hair (mid way down my back), and I have had quite a few comments lately about how I'm getting a bit old for hair this long, I'm 33 btw! What is your opinion on this, and I won't be offended:-D as I'm looking to do something with it as it just hangs there, but not sure whether to cut it or keep the length and have it layered.

Mags
29-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Do you ever wear it up Alex to give you an idea how shorter hair would suit you?

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 10:40 PM
I wear it in a ponytail all the time (very grown up, lol) but I wouldn't want it cut into my face as I think my face shape is too round to suit that style.

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:43 PM
I was 40 this year Alex and only had my hair cut to shoulder length this year. I do prefer it shorter now but at your age I wouldn't have dreamnt of cutting it 'just because of my age'!! Do what you feel is right for you Alex not what you think you should do because of your age - which incidently is still an extremely young age!!

Moli
29-12-2006, 10:43 PM
I am a good bit older than you Alex, and wear mine in a bob just down to my shoulders... My opinion is, do what you want, not what others expect of you...If you like your hair long then keep it long...

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 10:45 PM
:lol: :lol: Still young, I like that Fran! thanks! I like having long hair but it's like rats tails as my mum used to say, and I want to have a more 'grown up' look, but I'm terrified of cutting it and hating it:?

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 10:50 PM
That's a personal choice and I don't think anyone should be critcized for their hair style regardles of age! I'm ancient compared to you and still wear my long hair in a pony tail...it suits me, my friends have been used to it for years, and I don't give a hoot if strangers think I'm too old for it. Incidentally, I'm still not grey; just genetics, my Dad's hair was still almost completely dark except for a bit around the temples when he died, and I inherited his hair: fine, limp, a tendency to curl in damp weather, and non-greying!!

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks Eileen! I'm going to show that to my mum, who is the one who is doing most of the nagging, lol!

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 11:19 PM
A woman I see on the bus fairly regularly looks about my age or maybe a tad younger, and she's completely grey and wears her hair in a ponytail too! Nice looking woman, too! "Do what you wanna do" as the song says .......:-D

smudgley
30-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Your hair is beautiful Alex. :)
You are the same age as me (I'm 4 months older than you actually) & I usually have longish hair. I like long hair. I don't think long / short hair is anything to do with fashion, just more about how you like your hair. :)

Sweet
30-12-2006, 04:15 AM
It is totally your choice and no one elses, if you like it long, keep it I would.

For me.......I had quite long hair and back a few months went for it....had it cut firstly into a bob then after 6 weeks I had it cut like Victoria Beckham, Hairdresser named it that not me LOL!

I wont go back now, its totally changed my opinion of myself and lots have commented on this - so I am one happy person :). x

dinahsmum
30-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Wear it as you want it Alex. The style that suits you is much more important than the length. I believe Jerry Hall is 60 now and her long hair doesn't look too bad.:roll:
However - if you want a change, just go for it! It'll always grow.
I had mine quite long this summer and enjoyed it but now am back to a jaw-length bob. I like both and may let it get a bit longer again - who knows? I think a change is good, now and again, just so it doesn't look stale, and so people don't think of the hair rather than you - does that make sense? Because your hair is the main feature that's what people remember rather than the you underneath

Donna
30-12-2006, 11:23 AM
I think long hair that is just left to grow and grow and it gets all straggly makes "older" people age more, but I am nearing the big 40 in March and I have grown my hair over the last three years from dead short to long for the first time in years. It is just past my shoulders and is layered and thinned out and I have just had blond highlights put in in so it looks very "kept" which helps with us "older" ladies.

yola
30-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm 41 (42 soon :shock: ). I have always had long hair bar a couple of experiments with short hair, which I hated.

I think Donna is right - it's all about grooming and about hair having a style, whether long or short. If you have your hair regularly trimmed and gently styled - doesn't have to be right around you face - I hate my hair around my face also and usually wear the front sections back and up in a clip. This give is body and volume and also helps to make it look styled.

Also, maybe consider a little colour? Doesn't have to radical, but it's amazing how a little bit of highlighting around the face can life both hair and complexion.

And as for long hair only being for the young??? Pah - that's nonsense!!! :lol:

Jac
30-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Well I'm 45 and my hair is down my back (to my bra strap) I have it coloured and trimmed every 6 weeks. I wear it down, up curled and streight. I have fun with it and I think that's what it's all about. Personal choice, I had my Mum nag me a few weeks ago about getting it cut because of my age! phooo I said do I tell you what to do with yours?

alexgirl73
30-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm keeping it long, so pooey to my mum, lol. I have decided to have it styled a little better though and I like Yola and Jacs suggestion of having a bit of colour put in. I have only ever put colour in my hair once and that was around 15 years ago (I feel old now). Once I finally get the nerve to have it done I shall post a photo of my 'new look',

Jac
30-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Go for it Alex!!! At least with long hair you have a choice of how to wear it ie up or down. ~With short hair your very limited.

Kim
30-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Alex, I think you have great hair!! :) Wear it how YOU want, can't see what age has to do with it!! ;)

yola
30-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Alex - if you go for colour, get it done professionally. They know exactly where to place the highlights to achieve maximum effect. Also, keep it trimmed regularly. With colour it does tend to go raggedy more quickly.

Don't do an all-over home colour. Teenagers can get away with it, us more mature types can't quite so readily ;) :shock: ;)

alexgirl73
30-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Wouldn't dream of doing it myself Yola, lol! I'm not that brave (or stupid)! I quite fancy having a coloured streak put in, like red or blue.

dandysmom
30-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Whatever you decide on, love to see a pic!