PDA

View Full Version : Leia Chapter Two, Good News Bad News

dandysmom
21-12-2006, 10:00 PM
The vet called while I was at the market, naturally! The good news: the urinalysis showed no infection, so she doesn't need antibiotics! I got the first dose in her last night using Yola's very clever trick of pinioning her between my knees! She didn't know what to expect, so that went OK; however, being the smart cat she is, as soon as she saw the syringe this morning, went flying. I managed to get her in a death grip & got the second dose in, but she spit half of it out! The bad news: she does have an inflamation of the bladder, not an infection, so will need an anti-inflamatory. And that is a non-people medication so they can't call it into my pharmacy; I'll have to take the half hour bus ride up there to get it. The good news: the anti-inflamatory is as much smaller dose, just a few drops, and only needs to be done for 3 days...I can cope with that! The potentially bad news: vet wants to discuss dietary changes to change the Ph of her urine. This could be a problem, as she's very picky, but will do what has to be done. She's not weeing quite as frequently and with slightly larger amounts; is her normal self otherwise, played with her mouse and the feather and ball game last night. Seems completely recovered from yesterday's trauma. I recovered also with home martini help! Thanks for all your kind comments!! :D

alexgirl73
21-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Aw, poor both of you. At least you manged the medication Eileen, lol! And it is good news that she will only be on the other one for 3 days. Pain about the bus ride though. Is the vet talking major dietary changes?

Luke
21-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Glad things SEEMS to be improving..

Mags
21-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Pleased to hear she took her medication Eileen ....... I bet you were more stressed than Leia! :lol: I hope the next one will be easier for you both.......

It will be interesting to hear what the vet suggests for her dietary changes ........

Fran
21-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm glad that she doesn't need the AB's Eileen. The anti-inflammatory sounds much easier to give and for a shorter duration too...what a pain about the bus ride :( Would anyone you know run you over? I hope that she takes to the new diet well Eileen, please let us know how things go x

Kazz
21-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Maybe the vet should discuss a chnage in your diet to include a daily dose of "medicinal" Alchol to help with the changes and worry.

Seriously though, really pleased she has no infection, they can be nasty. You can only do what suits her and you, remember that.

When the vet recommended/strongly special food for Oscar great apart from the fact he hated it and refused it so as long as he ate something I resigned myself to accepting something is better than eating nothing.
Take care Karen

Kim
21-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Only just caught up with this Eilleen (not been on too much lately, too much to do!) Anyway, sorry to hear Leia has been unwell, but good news that she doesn't need the AB's. What a pain about the bus ride. Keep us posted with her progress on the new diet.

dandysmom
21-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm awaiting a call-back from Dr. Phillips, but of course am tying up the phone line being on here! I'm going to do some online research: he says what she has is interstitial cystitis or lower urinary tract syndrome. Hope she won't have to go off her dry food; she loves that, but if she must, she will. When I left for the market today I still thought I'd be able to give her a pill rather than liquid so bought a nice tinned Plumrose Danish ham (love them!), so I could smuggle the pill in ham, one of the few people foods she'll eat; also a tin of (people) pate for the same purpose...figured if she wouldn't eat tyhe pate, I will...love it on crostini! Will post what he says about diet when I know!

Moli
21-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Well done getting her AB's down her throat, pleased it is not as bad as first thought...Enjoy your martini DM, you deserve it...

dandysmom
21-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Well done getting her AB's down her throat, pleased it is not as bad as first thought...Enjoy your martini DM, you deserve it...
:-D I'm back to my Pino Grigio this afternoon' don't need the big guns today!

Mags
21-12-2006, 10:29 PM
:-D I'm back to my Pino Grigio this afternoon' don't need the big guns today!
:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Eileen!!

Donna
21-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Glad things are going ok Eileen. And that you dont need to force the AB down poor Leia!!! A dry food diet is not usually recommended for cystitus prone cats - something my vet mentioned to me with Chloe's cystitus!!

She didnt have much but I have stopped it all together.

Also interesting your vet says not to use the AB and just use the antiinflamatory drops. My vet says to use the AB even though they know its not infection but inflamation!! (Wonder whether my vet just wants to get as much money from me as he can and prescribed AB when all I really needed was the antiinflamatory??)

Good luck anyway.

dandysmom
21-12-2006, 11:13 PM
You've raised an interesting point, Donna! Why would he recommend AB when there's no infection! I'm just relieved that I don't have to use it; worked OK the first time as she wasn't expecting it, but when she saw the syringe this morning.......:roll:

logoes
22-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Vets usually prescribe AB's as a matter of course, to be on the safe side in case there is an infection there, But with cystitis AB can exacerbate the problem if the cystitis becomes recurring. (take it from one who knows just what poor Leia is going through).

I have never fed just a complete dry feed, all the cats have had at least one meal a day of meat or fish of some sort, tinned, pouched or home cooked, and half-and -half milk and water. So far, Touch wood I've never had any problem with cystitis.(well I have, the cats haven't:) )Logoes.

Elaine
22-12-2006, 06:08 PM
All my love to you and Leia xxx

dandysmom
22-12-2006, 08:57 PM
All my love to you and Leia xxx Thanks, Elaine! Same to you, the Diva and Bernie!

borderdawn
22-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Hope she's back to full fitness quickly Eileen, best of luck.
Dawn.

dandysmom
22-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Vets usually prescribe AB's as a matter of course, to be on the safe side in case there is an infection there, But with cystitis AB can exacerbate the problem if the cystitis becomes recurring. (take it from one who knows just what poor Leia is going through).

I have never fed just a complete dry feed, all the cats have had at least one meal a day of meat or fish of some sort, tinned, pouched or home cooked, and half-and -half milk and water. So far, Touch wood I've never had any problem with cystitis.(well I have, the cats haven't:) )Logoes. Leia doesn't get dry food as a main meal, but as a (frequent) treat. She has half a can of moist at breakfast and the rest at dinner; gets a small handful of dry at lunch, tea time and pre-bedtime snack. Since she got the cystitis I've moistened the dry with milk or some gravy if the tin she was having had a lot of gravy. She doesn't like it soggy as much as plain, but I think she needs the extras liquid..and she eats it, soggy or not! Vet hasn't called yet re diet; will give him another ring...we've been playing phone tag!

logoes
22-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Just a quick idea Eileen, I get goat's milk for India, and freeze it into ice cubes, that way you can used just what you want and it doesn't go off. one or two cubes with the equal amount of water. Ummm, of course Leia could be picky and Not like goat's milk !!!! but it is better for their digestion than cow's milk. Logoes

dandysmom
22-12-2006, 09:35 PM
That's a good suggestion, Logoes, and I'll keep it in mind for the future. Should have said that I was moistening the dry food with cat milk, not people milk...this is called Catsip (riduculous name!) and is formulated for lactose-intolerant cats, which many of them are as they grow out of kittenhood and mum's milk. Patches is the only cat I owned who kept drinking milk avidly all her adult life!