PDA

View Full Version : Leia just back from the vet!!

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Yesterday I was discussing cystitis here; well, last night Leia started going to the box about every 20 minutes and weeing just a drop or so, no blood or crying, but I was upset, and when she was still doing it this morning, called and got an emergency appt, at the vet's. Horrible: she screamed all the way there (my neighbor Jim drove us, can't take a cat in a carrier on the bus here), then when we got there, she managed to burst out of the carrier, guess the latch wasn't completely secured, and starting tearing through the waiting room (several dogs!!) frantically trying to escape! Finally caught her with help from the staff, but I was shaking by then; already nervous. They saw her right away. I had told the Doctor tht there had been no blood in her urine, so naturally when he had her on the examining table, she peed a few drops with blood in them!! To make a long story short, the X-rays showed no obstructions. Have to wait for the urinalysis, but they gave her fluids (she wasn't dehydrated, it was to increase the urine output), gave her an antibiotic. Also, I have to give her Clavamox liquid by mouth twice a day for a week!! Not sure if I can do that, but will try! This is the first time in her life that she's had to go to the vet since she had her shots and was spayed, and she was terrifued, and I am a nervous wreck! Just for comparison purposes will list the cost of the visit so you can compare to what your vets charge, Totl bill: $381.60. Exam/urgent care: 110,00; Radiogram (2 views) - 185.00; Lactate Ringers : 18.25; Urinalysis 39.00; Clavamox - 29.35. What a day!

Elaine
20-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Poor Leia. Hope she feel better very soon, I also hope your nerves have calmed down too xxx

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Well, assoon as we got home she made right for the box, and is there now! As for me. a good martini will do a lot to calm me down! :roll::-D I've had better days!

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Poor Leia and poor you Eileen, hope you enjoy your martini. (anyone any idea of the current exchange rate, to compare prices).

Moli
20-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Poor girl hope she gets better soon.... Hope the martini's are calming you down too DM....

borderdawn
20-12-2006, 09:54 PM
PHEW! bet your're pleased to be back Eileen! Hope she gets better quickly, no more repeats of today for you or Leia for a long time!
Dawn.

Mags
20-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Oh Eileen, what a day you've had! I hope both you and Leia are feeling calmer now.

I've converted your dollars to UK pounds so that we can compare the costs....

Exam/Urgent care .......... $110.00 ( £55.98 )
Radiogram x 2 ................ $185.00 ( £94.15)
Lactate Ringers ............ .$ 18.25 ( £ 9.29)
Urinalysis ..................... $ 39.00 ( £19.85)
Clavamox ...................... $ 29.35 ( £14.94)

TOTAL............ $381.60 (£194.20)

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 09:57 PM
yikes! Aren't vet costs wonderful (you know they'll be having a merry christmas)

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks, Moli! Notice you said martinis - plural! That's what it'll take; I think I'm more nervous about going to the vet than she is, and she was indeed very nervous! Has calmed down since we're home, but still weeing about every 20 minutes. What concerns me is having to give her oral antitbiotics; could never pill a cat, ever, so am worried.......do you have any suggestions? Or anyone here?

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 10:01 PM
not really Eileen, my 3 just let me stuff it down their throats no problems. What about the old cheese trick?

Mags
20-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Eileen, try pressing the tablet into a small piece of cheese ..... or wrap it tightly in a piece of ham/meat for her ......... hopefully the tablet will go down at the same time....;)

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Leia is the only cat I've ever had who doesn't like cheese! This is liquid, I have to draw it up and give it to her by mouth. Sounds simple enough, but then, the vet makes pilling sound easy, too.......:roll:

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I've had to give my 3 liquid for the past month, and I found the easiest way to do it was fill the syringe, put the cat under my arm while sitting on the settee, grab by the scruff of the neck and pull the head back, and just squirt as soon as the mouth opens, I find it easier to give pills tbh, lol!

Mags
20-12-2006, 10:09 PM
If it is like a small syringe Eileen, administer it into the side of Leia's mouth, she's more likely to take it then. I would think it may be best to have her on your lap when you give it to her......

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Alex, I'm in awe that you can pill a cat!!!! That's "Mission Impossible" for me. Will try your technique tonight at her dinner time (has to be given with meals). Wish me luck; she's a large, strong determined cat.......:roll:

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Lots of luck wished your way Eileen lol! Remember, YOU'RE the boss !!!LOL!

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the support, everyone! I am a real wimp at medicating a determined cat who doesn't want to be medicated...

Fran
20-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh Eileen, I am so sorry to hear you and Leia have had such a traumatic day and I really hope that Leia picks up quickly. That was certainly some vet bill! and you certainly deserve your Martinis tonight :-D

Have you tried wrapping Leia up tightly in a towel to administer medicine to her? Good luck and let us know how she gets on x

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Fran! Leia has never been medicated before; this is the first time she's been ill since she came. I tried the towel bit with my other cats; kept them mostly immobilized, but all the mouth-clamping and throat stroking never worked; they just spit out the pill...... The vet did say when I told him that I had my doubts about medicating her that I could add it to her food if she would eat it all, but he didn't seem too enthusiastic about that method. Leia always eats all her food, but if this stuff is nasty, I don't know...yes, I'll report what happens, probably in great boring detail...thanks for bearing with me while I fret online,,,I really cam be a wimp sometimes about things like this........:cry:

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 10:30 PM
you're not a wimp Eileen, we all know how scary a hissing, spittin scared kitty can be.

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:36 PM
You should have seen her when she escaped from the carrier at the vets today, she was tearing around the reception area as if her tail was on fire, eyes dilated and trying to claw her way through the windows...staff yelling "loose cat" and all the dogs waiting became very interested in what was happening....

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Lol! Sorry Eileen, but I can just see her running loose, and all of you running after her! I'd just have the whole bottle of martini if I were you.

Fran
20-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I have no experience of that antibiotic Eileen, so I don't know how palatable it is?

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Fran, I don't plan on tasting it myself (joking!). ..:-D...yes, Alex, looking back on it now I can see the funny side...t'waren't funny at the time, but it must have been a sight to behold......:roll::-D

Mags
20-12-2006, 10:43 PM
It's bound to be nerve-wracking if you've never had to give anything like this before Eileen ....... if need be, just give her a small spoonful of food at a time with a small drop of her med on it. If she eats it then continue a spoonful at a time until all the med has gone. Fingers crossed she will take it one way or the other.... ;)

whiskey
20-12-2006, 10:44 PM
i do hope that poor leia feels better soon poor lass :( it sounds like your`ve had a bit of a manic day.:D

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Mags, good sugggestion!!

Fran
20-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I so wished that I lived near to you Eileen so that I could come to help, I feel so helpless here. I realise how daunting it must be, Give Mags' suggestion a try and good luck!

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Fran, you all have helped greatly just being there and listening to me whinge! Believe me, it truly helps to know that your friends are listening and concerned...bless you all! As you may know, I'm mostly Irish and tend to overdramatize things a bit...not that you could really call me a drama queen...(snigger!) Probably all will go well with the medication & I've overdone the "poor, pitiful me" bit slightly...will report after dinner!

Mags
20-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Fran, you all have helped greatly just being there and listening to me whinge! Believe me, it truly helps to know that your friends are listening and concerned...bless you all! As you may know, I'm mostly Irish and tend to overdramatize things a bit...not that you could really call me a drama queen...(snigger!) Probably all will go well with the medication & I've overdone the "poor, pitiful me" bit slightly...will report after dinner!
Eileen, here's a question for you :lol: Are you Irish with an American accent .... or American with an Irish accent! ;):-D

alexgirl73
20-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Will log on early tomorrow morning and see how you got on Eileen. x

tilly
20-12-2006, 11:09 PM
I had to give liquid antibiotic to tilly as she would spit the other out. I don't thing it tase to nice as she foamed at the mouth afterwards. I just opend her mouth and squirted it in a quick as I could, but it might be better in tuna or something with a strong taste and smell.
My Buster has got cystitis as well but he is good and will eat pills hidden in food. It is just his sister who can be a pain.

Hope it goes well.

Sally

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks, Tilly! Unfortunately, Leia doesn't like fish, so that option's out. If this liquid stuff is too difficult to administer, will call the vet tomorrow and ask if he can give me another prescription for pills...can smuggle them in a nice piece of ham...hope yours are doing OK; it's such a worry when they're sick!

tilly
20-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I know Tilly is coming up to scotland with me (Which is an 8 hours!!She is going to be sedated) and Buster is in a cattery so he can have s/d which is a specail diet for him. Does she like pate cat food as it might be possible to mush it up in that.

best of luck

Sally

yola
20-12-2006, 11:22 PM
OMG Eileen - it sounds like you've had a truly awful time of it today :shock: Still - glad Leia's home and some semblance of normality has returned!

The way I pill/medicate a cat is by kneeling on the floor with cat between slightly open knees. Make sure to keep your ankles together as the cat WILL reverse out between your feet :roll: . Grab cat by the cheekbones with one hand - thumb and index finger either side of jaw. Use middle finger of other hand to prise open lower jaw and just pop pill/syringe in with the remaining fingers of hand holding lower jaw open.

Worth a couple of practice runs and expect some scratch marks - but at least you will have the medicine into the cat!!

Good luck - just don't give Leia a martini (much as she might seem to need one ;) )

dandysmom
20-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Yola! I've self-medicated with martinis this afternoon; Leia is a teetotaller; you'd laugh at the look on her face when she sniffs my glass thinking it might be water...I'm feeling much better ...:-D...she's relaxed at being home away from that horrible place,,,and tomorrow is another day!

Kazz
21-12-2006, 12:24 AM
OMG Eileen - it sounds like you've had a truly awful time of it today :shock: Still - glad Leia's home and some semblance of normality has returned!

The way I pill/medicate a cat is by kneeling on the floor with cat between slightly open knees. Make sure to keep your ankles together as the cat WILL reverse out between your feet :roll: . Grab cat by the cheekbones with one hand - thumb and index finger either side of jaw. Use middle finger of other hand to prise open lower jaw and just pop pill/syringe in with the remaining fingers of hand holding lower jaw open.

Worth a couple of practice runs and expect some scratch marks - but at least you will have the medicine into the cat!!

Good luck - just don't give Leia a martini (much as she might seem to need one ;) )

Only just caught this Eileen what a terrible day you've had sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Hope all is fine I totaly agree with Yola's plan of tablet administration. But have to never been scratched but the one thing I would say don't creep up on her when she's in her favourite place - she will never forgive you.

Take care and sure all will go well, take care and hugs to Leia.
Karen

dandysmom
21-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Eileen, here's a question for you :lol: Are you Irish with an American accent .... or American with an Irish accent! ;):-D American with an American accent, but with the inborn Irish talent for storytelling....:-D:-D:roll:

Mags
21-12-2006, 04:37 AM
American with an American accent, but with the inborn Irish talent for storytelling....:-D:-D:roll:
:-D .... a very good combination too!! :lol:

dinahsmum
21-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Wow - I really missed the drama didn't I? But I see on another thread that you have managed to give one dose of the medication so fingers crossed that all is going well now.
What's with all these poor pusses and cystitis? Time of year? Sress? Over-excitement at santa coming? Who knows?
DM - it is difficult with cats & vets isn't it? They are such healthy creatures normally that they just don't have the opportunity to get used to the carrier/waiting room etc etc palarver.
Hope you sleep well and have a much calmer day today. Maybe get a bottle of Bachs Rescue Remedy (for you!) next time you see it. I think it works for stressy times. Take care

Donna
21-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Sorry I missed all this yesterday DM. Hope you are now calmed and Leia is being a good girl and taking her meds.

I had the vet trip yesterday too, but with no major dramas and escapee cats!!!

I worried about the administering of pill/drops too, but all went well this morning.

I hid the pill in a chunk of meat out of the cat food tin and gave her that first. Ate it all up.

Next gave her a spoonful of food with the drops on the food and as she had not eaten since last night and was hungry - ate all that too!!!

Hope you are as succesful!!

dinahsmum
21-12-2006, 11:31 AM
DM - just a thought ........... you don't think Leia is stressing over Onyx's presence do you?

Mags
21-12-2006, 08:09 PM
How did you get on with Leia's medication today Eileen?

dandysmom
21-12-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't thimk she's even aware that Onyx is here! Onyx hangs out on the side of my house, can't be seen from the windows on that side, and those are windows that Leia never sits at anyhow. I've never seen Onyx in the front garden when the weather's warm and Leia and I are out on the screened porch. I'd notice, because when Borden the cat from across the street comes in the front yard, Leia bushes up and makes dreadful threatening noices at her...quite funny to see! I know that stress can be a precipitating cause of cystitis, but Leias leads a very unstressed life (until yesterday!!!)

logoes
21-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Oh Eileen, I have not been on Catsey for a couple of days and was shocked to hear that you are having problems with Leia - I know what you are going through believe me, When little Melba had stomach ulcers I had to keep her in a big dog cage ( one for a dobermann) otherwise I could never have caught her. I needed to wrap her up in towels and wear leather gloves to get her pills down her:shock: and she wouldn't/couldn't eat. I got a rabbit for her finally and she started eating then - I fed it raw,

My sympathies with Leia too, as a fellow sufferer!! I'll be watching this page for more info, Must go now, I'm supposed to be at a Virtual Party at a Virtual Pub on another Site on the Web. Speak to you again before Christmas Kath