PDA

View Full Version : Buster peeing in the wrong place

tilly
15-12-2006, 05:53 PM
This morning when I was feeding them as usually I seperated them. As otherwise Buster eats Tillys food and when I went to let him out about 5-10 minutes later he was peeing in a washing tub I had on the floor with thing in it. Which wasn't too bad as I hadn't left him with a litter tray as the time was so short.
But just now her has peed on the rug about a when he could easily get to a litter tray.

Any ideas on how to stop him. He has only done so twice but I can't understand why. He has never had any problems before.

Any help would be great I have shut him in the bathroom with a littertray for the moment. As I don't want puddles everywhere.

Sally

dinahsmum
15-12-2006, 06:03 PM
How old is he?
How old is his bruv?
Have there been changes in the house?
Have you changed the litter?
Have you changed his food?
Was there any blood in the wee?
Is he weeing more than usual?
Is he top cat or number 2 cat?

Sorry - there might be a clue in the answers. Whatever the reason, be sure it isn't because he wants to annoy or upset you; it's just doing the detective work and finding the reason

dinahsmum
15-12-2006, 06:08 PM
e-vet.com is happy for this article to be copied. Anything ring a bell?

Feline inappropriate urination.

Cause 1) Cystitis or bladder infection. While cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) is usually associated with frequent visits to the litter tray and the passing of small drops of urine the cause of cystitis may be infection or just inflammation as in interstitial cystitis; the cause of which is still a matter of some opinion and controversy. Apart from those cases associated with other urogenital abnormalities and crystal formation (including flutd = feline lower urinary tract disorder) the condition referred to here as interstitial cystitis is histologically a plasmacytic/lymphocytic cystitis with ulceration. Contemporary suggests of cause include excesive excretions of brain endorphins and stress triggers. Treatment of a pure interstitial cystitis may include antiinflammatory drugs or amitryptilline. Treatment of FLUTD may include dietary alterations, increased fluid intake, acidifying agents and antibiotics. Severe cases with urethral obstructions need emergency attention.
Despite the above simple bacterial cystitis (more common in the female) appears to be a more common cause of inappropriate urination in volume than previously thought. Send a blank email to flutd@e-vet.com for an in-depth article

Cause 2) Territorial. Territorial marking behaviour is more common by male cats but any cat may feel the need to scent mark it's territory. Such behaviour is usually manifest by the cat 'backing up' to the target and spraying or shaking a few drops of urine at said target. Typically this is 'vertical' marking (walls, table legs, televisions) and typically the targets are revisited at regular intervals. Treatment includes restricted access until all scents have dissipated and the use of biological agents to break down urine odours (commercial preps or biological washing powder) and sometimes masking odours (vinegar neutralises urine smells). Synthetic chin pheromone (feliway) used according to the manufacturers instructions may reduce this social pressure and behaviour.

Cause 3) Avoidance. Avoidance behavior refers to those cats that are unhappy about the location or type of their current litter facilities. Like you, cats do like some privacy before they 'perform'. Never locate litter trays in cat 'pathways' i.e through routes (which may not be the same as human trafficways) or near outside doors or windows.. your cat will not appreciate having to keep an eye out for tresspassers and strangers while urinating. Select one or more discrete or screened off areas for cat pans in handy quiet corners. Consider covered litter trays for further discretion and consider providing a selecetion of trays and litters for those that prefer aanother type of litter. Garden soil may contain attractive soil micro-organisms that cat can scent. (a bit like your choice between hard or soft toilet paper). Also remmeber that your cat doesn't want to use a dirty toilet either!.. so empty pans regularly.

Cause 4) Caught short. This refers to cats that have been 'caught short' and suddenly needed to toilet at some time. Having done so for whatever initial reason there is now a new scented area of past cat urination to attract the cat back. Treatment is thorough cleaning, deodorisation and shutting the cat away from this area until the memory has faded.

Cause 5) Confusion. This subset of causes includes those cats that are toxic, old, senile, confused etc. It includes older cats with classic diseases such as hyperthyroidism and high blood pressure and any toxin or disease that can affect mentation. Obviously treatment requires attention to the underlying disease process first.

Cause 6)Multi-cat territorial situations. This is perhaps the most complicated case scenario. Firstly all the above conditions need to be ruled out before assuming this state. If and only if that is the case then there is a possibility of adjusting the heirarchy of the cat household. Observation and record-keeping might imply imbalances in the social structure. Realistically owners will tend to make assumptions about this so they should eb encouraged to keep a diary and discuss events that may or may not suggest 'jealousy', 'fear' or 'phobia'. Cats are less amenable to human inetrerence with social structure than dogs. Obviously neutering may make a difference to the balance as indeed may positive and negative support from the owners.

Several drugs have been used to control inappropriate urination behaviour as psychoactive substances; Prozac, buspar, amitryptilline and chlopramine are the most common of these. Amitryptilline probably works best when the conditon has actually been misdiagnosed and is in reality a sub-set of stress-related feline lower urinary tract disorder (FLUTD) and an article on this can be downloaded by sending a blank email to flutd@e-vet.com. Whenever a psychoactive therapy is instituted owners shoudl be aware that it may take several weeks to 'kick-in' and should be used in conjunction with behavioural modification

tilly
15-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi
He is nine years and 8 months same age as his sister tilly they are littermates.
not recently he moved to my home with me in october and has been using the litter try fine.
No he has alway had the ewood base pellets.
No he has been on dry food now for 3 months or so.
no blood in the urine but it might have been a bit dark.
Both time it was a fairly large puddle.
No I dae who is top cat how would I tell. I think he is.

I am sure he isn't doing it to annoy but I would love to know why.

He has had a Kidney and thyroid test done recently and both were normal.

I have put him in the bathroom with a tray at the moment. As it doesn't matter to much if he missed in there.

thanks for the reply.

Sally

dinahsmum
15-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Maybe he has a bit of cystitis if his wee is dark? Could you get him to drink more than usual, to dilute his wee and stop it irritating him?
....... or maybe he's just not happy with where the tray is? Or he wants one of his own?
Complicated things, cats ......

tilly
15-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I have got two littertray so one for each cat. Could be cysitis but he does drink alot. I have just cleaned the littertrays (as I do every evening.)

If he is now better by monday I am going to the vet anyway with Tillys sneezing so he can come too.

Sally

tilly
16-12-2006, 01:03 AM
He also seems to be coughing or wheezing. Do cat cough. No hair ball or anything just a cough which he did about 4/5 times.

Sally

Fran
16-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Clooney my Tom cat did this at one time whilst he was still entire, eventually we did see blood and a urine infection was diagnosed. He had a course of antibiotics which cleared the infection and cured the inappropriate peeing...His favourite spot was the dog's quilts :?

Edited to say that he never coughed, however....I'd get your boy checked over by the vet just to rule out any medical issues

tilly
16-12-2006, 01:14 AM
I am thing that might be the way to go. He is settle in the bathroom for the night to help him if he has problem getting there in time. Also I can hear him from my bed room so if he has any problem s breathing or coughing I can help
Sallly

tilly
16-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Got an appointment with the vet at 11.10am. So I will see what they say.
Sally

dinahsmum
16-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Good luck!

Mags
16-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I hope everything went well at the vets Sally...........

tilly
16-12-2006, 01:49 PM
back from the vets. Not sure quite what is wrong with him as his bladder was empty. But the vet agree that he look a bit odd. As he has a very thin face, back, legs and shoulder but his tummy is huge. So they double checked his thyroid and did a blood test on him for diabetes. Both were fine. I am going to drop him off monday morning so that they can get a urine sample from him to check his Kidney (again) and for a bladder infection. Then collect him when Tilly goes for her check up with her sneezing which is no better despite being on baytril for 4 weeks. If they both (the test) come back normal he will have to have more test done and he also coughs which isn't normal. The vet also said that he looks more like a 12 year old cat than a nine year old cat. So there is something wrong but I don't know what yet. He might just be scruff and aging quickly but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the support I will let you know how he does on monday.

Sally

Fran
16-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I am sorry to hear that you do not have any answers yet but fingers crossed for a diagnosis soon and a positive outcome x

dinahsmum
16-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Hope you get this cleared up quickly.
Poor boy, doesn't sound quite right.

tilly
16-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Well no bad news yet as it would be bad if it was his thyroid or diabetes. I also saw the head vet who I have known since I was 14, I used to help out there on the saturday. So I have got the best man for the job of making Buster better.
Sally

Mags
16-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I hope they can find out what's wrong, treat it and give him a clean bill of health soon...... fingers crossed for him ;)