PDA

View Full Version : Why are Black cats hard to rehome?

Elaine
14-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I simply dont understand why the get so over looked in shelters. My Bernie is a cracker as I am sure all of your black cats are too. Any way i said i would find this poem which has been used in the past to draw peoples attention to the black kitties looking for homes. I didnt want it to get lost with the other poems, so I posted it here.

Oh, see that pretty one fluffy and sweet,
Little white legs and four tiny grey feet
Please look at the dark shape alone at the back,
I'm cuddly, I'm pretty, but I'm also BLACK

Come see the tabbies with markings so fine
Look at that ginger one, Oh let it be mine
We are the dark shapes - there at the back,
We're cute and adorable but, sadly, we're BLACK

If you want a pet that will love you to bits,
Come, take a look at these little BLACK kits
Our eyes will shine just as bright as those others,
Just give us a cuddle - me, and my brothers!

Look into my eyes, what do you see?
A beautiful kitten, so playful - that's me.
You've seen all the pretty ones - now choose from the back
Say 'look at that treasure, it's mine - and it's BLACK"

CathyW
14-12-2006, 06:54 PM
i love my 2 black cats they are adorable, and total mummys boys LOL
only thing is they adore laying on me when im wearing a white top LOL they shove n push at each other to get on my lap LOL

alexgirl73
14-12-2006, 07:08 PM
I love my little black kitty Cooper. He's so mischevious compared to my other two, and acts like a 'proper' kitten.

Equal rights for black kittens (and B&W's), lol!

Kazz
14-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Apparently the same thing happens to black dogs in rescue they get overlooked I wonder why? I have had a black and white Archie and he was a total babe.
Equal rights is right.

CathyW
14-12-2006, 09:22 PM
maybe they should start up an action group,LOL

Elaine
14-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Joking aside though, do you think its coz of stupid superstition? Is it possible that there is such a serious undercurrent of racism that it affects the colour of animal you have?
I do actually remember a local facist saying to me, "trust you to get a black one" when I got Bernie.

Kazz
14-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I wonder if it goes back to witches having black cats :) there again in the UK black cats are lucky.

dandysmom
14-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I was also going to suggest the linkage between witches and black cats; here in the States we hve a superstition that having a black cat cross your path brings bad luck! Lot of nonsense of course, I love black cats, am trying to lure one in as most of you know....

Moli
14-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Its never occured to me that Black cats were over looked in rescues...I have 2 black cats, they are both gorgeous...

Sweet
14-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Mau Mau is black and white.

Jac is completely black, I rehomed them both - one from the Cats and Dogs Home and the other my ex.

I love them both equally to the others :) x

Fran
14-12-2006, 11:11 PM
As most of you know, my elderly girl Lucky was black. I lost her almost 12 months ago now. She was 18 years old and was my soulmate, my life. She was so very special, not like any other cat I have ever owned. I personally would struggle to take on another black cat as I would always be comparing it to Lucky but my advice to anybody considering getting a kitty would be to get a black one ;)

Soupie
06-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I prefer Black Cats :D Pousse is the fourth one I've had and Claude who lives with my parents (when I left home it wasn't fair to separate him from his pals) is one of the bestest cats I've had :smt023 My little sister also has a black cat so that's three in our family at the moment.

But all the rescue centres I contacted when I got Pousse have said blacks are harder to rehome. Maybe one reason why is that people worry they may be run over more easily because of their colour. I know my sis doesn't like Scampi going out after dark in case of this :smt102

Rosie
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Joking aside though, do you think its coz of stupid superstition? Is it possible that there is such a serious undercurrent of racism that it affects the colour of animal you have?
I do actually remember a local facist saying to me, "trust you to get a black one" when I got Bernie.

Definitely don't think it has anything to do with racism. I think it is purely and simply the fact that they don't stand out - they are perceived as "ordinary" no distinguishing features - not pretty. To my shame I would never have chosen a black or black and white kitten but would always prefer a tabby or ginger or torty etc, but since getting my little Alfie (all black) I am a complete convert. He is the nicest, cuddliest, ameanable cat you could wish to have and I love him to bits!

whiskey
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
i have no idea why this is but i love my black cat spike:D :D

CathyW
06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
my first ever cat was black, his name was tiddles (dont laugh LOL)

andrew021
06-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I love Jet, she is my first cat given to me by a friend who didnt want her, but not because of her colour. I never thought of her colour and it wasnt an issue.

The only thing I dont like is trying to see where she is in the garden at night.

vicki
06-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I could have a house full of blacks/tuxedo's, they're my favourit but sadly to narrow minded people they just are not 'unique' enough =(

Elaine
06-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Well I beleive that mine are unique and i wouldnt change them for the world.
I dont, however, let them out in the dark. I'd never see them out there lol and Eva, being a little minx, would find it hilarious to trip me up or something.

yola
06-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I think they ARE perceived as 'invisible' somehow. I had a black bruiser that I took in as a stray and he was such a special, loving and beautiful boy I would not hesitate in taking on another black cat if and when the opportunity arose.

dreams
07-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Hi, i love black cats.
They are so adorable.
I myself have black cats but my mum has different colour cats.
I grew up with a black cat and so did my lil bro and when he died it was a really bad time as he was same age (human years) as my lil bro.
I have a black cat called puss and he is lovely but is very old now.

Kobster
07-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Big black dogs are the hardest to rehome also. Some say it's because they look "scary" but I think in most situations it's because they are invisible.

I think sterotypically, black cats are sweeter, more affectionate, than cats of other colors, and it's really a shame that they get overlooked so often.

I had a stray black cat named stranger growing up, and he was a total doll baby.

jenny
07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
yes i too think it is because black cats are perceived as being boring. people tend to prefer different colours.

my parents have 6 black cats, all rescues. and when they rescued their dog, they went for a black one, because all the black cats and dogs get overlooked.

dreams
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
It is a shame as animals just need love and care no matter what age/colour/breed/sex or what disabilites they might have.