PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

RRR
13-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone :D

My name is Ria and I am soon to be the proud owner of two little kittens, I pick them up on Friday.

I just wanted everyone opinions on a few things:

I own 13 ferrets and want the ferrets and kittens to get along, whats the best way of introducing them?

I would rather house cats but am not 100% sure about this, can anyone give me more info? Also how do you actually stop them going out during the summer when the windows/doors are open?

Best food - kitten and cat? Dry or wet?

Best litter?

When do they need their injections? And if they are to be indoor cats will they still need them?

What is the best age to have them neutered/spayed?

Many thanks for any help you can give me :D

smudgley
13-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone :D

My name is Ria and I am soon to be the proud owner of two little kittens, I pick them up on Friday.
Hi & welcome to the forum :)
I just wanted everyone opinions on a few things:

I own 13 ferrets and want the ferrets and kittens to get along, whats the best way of introducing them? If the kittens are very young then they will easily get used to the ferrets, it really depends where you keep them as to how to introduce them.

I would rather house cats but am not 100% sure about this, can anyone give me more info? That's really personal choice. I like my cats to go outside, but I know lots of indoor cats that are happy.Also how do you actually stop them going out during the summer when the windows/doors are open? You have to keep the doors & windows closed in the rooms where the cats are.

Best food - kitten and cat? Dry or wet? Again personal preference. Dry food is my personal choice (mainly because it's easier as I have several to feed)

Best litter? Wood based

When do they need their injections? From 9 weeks old. They'll need 2 initially (3 weeks apart)And if they are to be indoor cats will they still need them? yes

What is the best age to have them neutered/spayed? 6 months, or maybe older if they are house cats

Many thanks for any help you can give me :D

Tell us more about your kittens. What colour are they? How old?

dinahsmum
13-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi Ria
[attach-center]56[/attach-center]

Lovely to have you on the forum and congratulations on your new babies. I had a pair earlier in the year and have just loved watching them grow!
My main advice - enjoy them! They are only tiny for a very short time.

Smudgley has given you lots of good advice there. I'll add my two-penn'orth for what it's worth.

Ferrets; - no experience- sorry - but it was no problem introducing mine to a staffie. I think they accept everything when they are young as long as they feel they are in a safe environment. Having two will help them be comfortable in almost all situations.

Indoor or out - entitrely your decision. I think that's one you have to decide for yourself. Obviously if you live somewhere where it would be dangerous to go out then it is sensible to keep them in.

Food; There are plenty of good ones and they will probably thrive whatever you give them. Advice - chose one and try to stick to it, don't chop and change.

Litter; - undoubtedly this one http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/?in_section=worlds_best&page=worlds_best
Or teach them to use the human toilet ......

Jabs/neuter; - Smudgley has given you the best advice. Your vet may have preferred times which vary by a week or two - give them a call. However, it's good to get the jabs started asap and your vet will also give them a quick check over, deal with worms/fleas etc.

Very best of luck with them - you are in for a wonderful christmas!

Fran
13-12-2006, 01:05 PM
[attach-center]220[/attach-center]

Hi Ria, congratulations on the forthcoming arrival of your new kitties :D

I think Smudgley has answered most of your questions. Just to add that you can put meshing over windows so that you can open them in the summer without the cats getting out. You can also make a mesh door to fit in your doorways so that you can leave your doors open. Regarding food, I prefer to feed both wet and dry and regarding the litter, it would probably best to keep the kitties on the same type that they are used to initially, so ask the breeder what she uses. Hope this helps. Look forward to hearing more about them

RRR
13-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

The ferrets live outside but we do have one that lives inside. She hates other ferrets but I am hoping she'll get along with the kittens.

We are getting a ginger and a black and white both boys. They are only six weeks old at the mo. I'm not sure of their breed at all but I'll find out more on Friday when we go and see them and talk to the breeder.

How often do cats need to be de-flea'd and wormed?

Fran
13-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Worms - every three months if they are allowed outside and 'hunt' or every 6 months if they are indoor cats is usually the norm.

Fleas - every month if they are outdoor cats. Most likely less if they are indoor cats and do not live with any furry animals that do go outside

Moli
13-12-2006, 01:56 PM
[attach-center]135[/attach-center]

alexgirl73
13-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Welcome aboard. Nice to have you here and look forward to seeing pics of your babies. Loads of good advice given already. I have 3 indoor only cats, 2 are fed a mix of wet and dry and one is fed only on fish at the moment (long story). Definitely best to stick to whatever litter the breeder is using at the moment, decide if you like it or not and change slowly if you don't. My 3 aren't vaccinated as I don't feel it's necessary for indoor only cats and they won't ever be in a cattery or show environment, but that is a personal choice after doing research, you should do whatever suits you.

Mags
13-12-2006, 04:07 PM
[attach-center]219[/attach-center]

Hi Ria, welcome to our friendly forum .....hope you'll enjoy it here!

Congratulations on your forthcoming new babies!
I can add nothing to the excellent advice you have been given above .......... except enjoy them and post lots of pics for us! :-D

Sweet
13-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey x

Violet, Mau Mau, Vincent, Mabel, Misty and Jac wave a paw x

We want lots of pics of your new babies :) x