PDA

View Full Version : Very worried about simon

kado
12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Taking Simon to vets tomorrow he's not very well. He is going for a pooh in the litter tray but not a wee. I picked him up eariler and he cried. He as been trying to go for a wee all afternoon but he dosen't seem to do out. then he goes and try again he just perches on the side of the litter tray. He's my baby and i am realy worried that there's something wrong.

dinahsmum
12-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Can you get an emergency appointment today?
Not being able to wee is serious and can lead to permanent kidney damage.
Call again and explain to the receptionist that you are worried.

Elaine
12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I would agree with Dinahsmum, it must be very painfull for him, poor babe. Good luck, I hope you can get an emergency appt and that Simon feels better very very soon.

Fran
12-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I also agree that he needs to be seen today....He must be in agony poor baby :( Let us know how he is..

yola
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes - if it's a blockage, time is of the essence. If your vet can't/won't see him then take him to any vet as it is an emergency.

Moli
12-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I agree with everyone else, he should be seen asap!

Kim
12-12-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree too, he must be in agony and so distressed.

kado
12-12-2006, 08:00 PM
taking him to a vet tonight when the lift turns up. Let you know how he is in morning. Thanks for all your advice it is realy appreciated.

jane

Mags
12-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Good luck Jane, I hope he's alright ....... will be thinking of you...

dandysmom
12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Cystitis in the male cat is a serious emergency! Glad you could get an appointment; please let us know how it went.........

Sweet
12-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Really hope Simon was ok at the Vet x

Fran
12-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Fingers crossed all went well at the vets x

Kazz
12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Hope all has gone well too. Sure it has, Karen

kado
13-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Simon isn't very well. He went down hill so fast. The vet tried to catherterise him but couldn't so they had to go through the stomach wall instead. They drained 50ml of bloody urine and he's on a drip. They are seeing if he wee's himself if he dosent they will have to try and catheriter him again. I have to phone back at 5pm if i can wait. If all of you havent had stressed to take him straight away he wouldn't have survived this long. let you know later on how he is. All the other cats are missing him.

Fran
13-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear this. I have everything crossed here for Simon. {{{Hugs}}} I know what you must be going through right now :(

dinahsmum
13-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh Jane - best wishes for Simon's recovery.
I'm so glad you were able to get him the treatment he needed. I don't like to say VET NOW! - it sounds so blimmin 'i know and you don't', but urinary retention in a male cat is something I've experienced and I know it is both serious and urgent.
PS - My boy turned out fine, and that was a long time ago when treatments presumably weren't so good.
All the best.

alexgirl73
13-12-2006, 01:50 PM
((hugs)) to you and Simon. Hoping he recovers very quickly and is home with you soon.

yola
13-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Jane - try and keep positive, although serious you did the right thing and the vets know what to do. 5pm is going to seem like an age - but be comforted by the fact we're all waiting with you and hoping for the best new possible.

Hugs.

kado
13-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Thankyou Yola and everone else

Mags
13-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear this Jane ...... I hope Simon recovers quickly and is back home with you soon...

(((hugs)))

Sweet
13-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Thinking of you both ((((((hugs)))))) x

Elaine
13-12-2006, 05:09 PM
So sorry Jane, stay strong xxx sending you big hugs and loads of possitive vibes for Simon xxx

EmmaG
13-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Keeping everything crossed for you both xxxxxxxxxxxxx

kado
13-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for your kind thoughts. The vets say simon is comfitable and he has been for a pooh. He is still on a drip and has still got his cathiter in. They told me to phone up at 10am to get a update but phoning up later on. I cant sleep without my simon he's my baby.

Kazz
13-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I know how you feel - sure he will be fine sounds like a step in the right direction. Take care Karen

Kim
14-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Sp sorry to hear this, I so hope he will be okay.

kado
14-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Dont know what to do. Theres's been no inprovement his bladder still large and there still blood in hs urine he still on a drip and got a catheiter on. Hes on strong pain killers too. Is it cruel to keep him alive in pain. All our cat are missing him its too quiet here.

Fran
14-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Have the vets done any investigations as to what is causing the retention/blood? What is their opinion r.e. the prognosis?

dinahsmum
14-12-2006, 12:06 PM
You must take your vets advice on whether the treatment is appropriate/kind/the right thing and on the prognosis.
I'm so sorry he's going through this, and sorry for you .

kado
14-12-2006, 12:12 PM
The vets cant wont say either way. Hoping to see him today where all missing him so much. He's in a pdsa hospital and i know they will do everthing they can.

Fran
14-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Have they run any tests to find the cause?

dinahsmum
14-12-2006, 12:17 PM
The vets cant wont say either way. Hoping to see him today where all missing him so much. He's in a pdsa hospital and i know they will do everthing they can.
I think that is very unkind of them. They are the professionals and they should expect to give advice. If Simon is likely to be in a lot of pain for a long time, or if there is a good chance that he will not pull through at all, then you have a very difficult decision as to whether it is kind to continue threatment.
However, have they said why they think he cannot wee? Has he got 'stones' in his bladder, one of which has blocked his wee-wee tube (urethra)? If so, can the blockage be shifted? If so, and it is shifted, will it return?
Remember that animals (like children) can bounce back quickly after illness.
Lots of positive vibes coming your way ... good luck.

kado
14-12-2006, 12:22 PM
they said he has had a blocked urethra they had been a plug in it they have unblocked it.

dinahsmum
14-12-2006, 12:43 PM
When my very first cat had urine retention it was because of urinary crystals. This was a long long time ago - over 30 years - and it was assumed it was because of the (then) dry food. He had a couple of attacks which were sorted with medication (sorry can't remember which) and then had a severe attack. We rushed him to the vet and he was treated with drugs and acupuncture. He managed to wee without a catheter and was OK after that. We didn't give him dry food after that.
That would point to your boy being OK for the future if he can get through these difficult days.
I wouldn't give him dry food again and would try to get him to take extra fluid - for instance by adding a spoonful of warm water to his wet food.

Moli
14-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Leo has exactly the same as Simon, about 6 years ago, he was completely blocked, stayed with the vet a week... He has fully recovered now, just has a jab every month to strengthen the bladder wall.....
Keep your chin up Kado, its horrible seeing them so poorly, but he is in the best place....Hugs... xx

yola
14-12-2006, 02:39 PM
This is what my neighbours cat had. I found him writhing in pain in my garden, left a note for my neighbours (who were out). Thankfully they came back soon and the cat (Maple) had an op, was in the vets for 5 days and then came home right as rain.

The brute STILL bit and scratched me for all it was worth, so no thanks there then :roll:

Seriously - if the blockage has been removed, Simon should make a full recovery. Worth checking if it's something that's likely to happen again though.

Lots of love and hugs - keep strong and try to think clearly for Simon's sake.

dinahsmum
14-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Jane - I hope hearing of 3 cats who have been ill with this condition but all were OK after a little while will cheer you.
Yola is right that it will help you if you stay confident - it's easy to get caught up in the drama of the moment but hopefully he will be fine now.
((hugs))

Mags
14-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Simon is in the best place Jane, they will look after him and get him well again for you ......... I know it is so worrying for you but I'm sure he will get through this as the other members' cats did above.....

Stay positive ;) ((((hugs))))

kado
14-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I am trying to stay possitive for simons sake. Kay is realy missing him wont play and will only eat when either guinness or kado are there eating too. Its so quiet and we dont like it. We have had him since he was six and a half weeks and was the runt of the litter. The flat is not the same without him.

kado
14-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Just been to see simon. I think he reconised us. He had a drip up and his cathiter in as well . They said there going to take the cathiter out tomorrow and see if he wees himself. In his cage there was some tuna which he wont eat. If he wees byhimself he might be coming home or we will take in his own food. Might have to change is food so it will help him not to get an infection.

jane

Elaine
14-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Thinking of you both still Jane. I hope Simon manages to pee by himself tomorrow so that he can come back home for some much needed love and cuddles.

kado
15-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Simons pee by himself and he has a something to eat. Got to phone up 4.pm to see if i can pick him up because he might be coming home tonight with medication.

Love Jane and simon

Fran
15-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Excellent news! Fingers crossed that he will be home where he belongs this evening x

tilly
15-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear about simons problem. Hope he come home tonight.

(((HUGS))

Sally

Mags
15-12-2006, 04:20 PM
That's wonderful news Jane :D Fingers crossed here that Simon is allowed home tonight http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif

dinahsmum
15-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Good news!
I'm very pleased

Moli
15-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Hoping Simon come home tonight......

kado
15-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Got some great news simons home. He's on medication got to go back on menday for his check up and special food. Can't believe he's made it. Myself and Simon realy appreciated all the kind messages that you have sent to us. You gave me hope where i thought there was none and kept me sane as well.

love jane

Mags
15-12-2006, 06:53 PM
:smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Great news Jane !!

Fran
15-12-2006, 06:59 PM
What brilliant news!!!!! :D

EmmaG
15-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Awww good news Jane... I was getting a bit worried for you. My cat Arthur has had problems before but now he is on Natures Menu and James Wellbeloved and I haven't had any problems at all.