PDA

View Full Version : Still no improvement

Naomi
08-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Timmy has been on Metacam now since Wednesday and there is absolutely no improvement at all. He hasn't been outside and the only time he moves is when he wants to be fed. He still has a severe limp and is still not putting much weight on his leg :?

He had a painkiller injection and an anti-inflamatry (sp)
from the vet Tuesday night. I'd have thought that I'd see some improvement but there is absolutely none what-so-ever :(

Sweet
08-12-2006, 08:54 AM
((((((hugs Timmy)))))) hopefully it is just a slow progress and he will soon be fit and well to go out and about again x

Fran
08-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Really hope that he starts to pick up soon Nae :(

dinahsmum
08-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Poor Timmy.
Metacam normally works quickly

Naomi
08-12-2006, 10:19 AM
I've watched Timmy closely and have now noticed that he isn't putting any weight on it at all :shock:

dinahsmum
08-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Ouch
Break?

Jac
08-12-2006, 10:35 AM
So sorry, Possibly an exray needed?

Naomi
08-12-2006, 12:19 PM
My vet was adamant that he hadn't broken it. If he has I'll go flippin mental with 'em :mad:

Kazz
08-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I'd take him back Naomi and get them to Xray Oscar had a Metcam jab i you recall for his arthritis and had immediate improvement even at his age. So Timmy should see some.

Take him back sounds worse than the vet thought, I know it sounds silly but it isn't a bite is it check him out, sometimes you can't see cat bites straight away, and they become abysess (spelling sorry) - Oscar had one once laid him up big time, vet missed it first visit not his fault but really made Oz poorly. There again Timmy could have damaged the ligaments/nerves which can look like a break but not show up.

Fingers crossed for you, Karen

alexgirl73
08-12-2006, 01:18 PM
So sorry to hear poor Timmys not improving as he should Nae. I agree that a return trip to the vets sounds in order, fingers crossed for him. ((hugs)) x

Mags
08-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I, too, would have thought you'd have seen some improvement by now Nae :(

Might be a good idea to get him checked again......

Will he let you touch his leg and gently move the joint? Gentle pressure whilst feeling his leg may show you where exactly the discomfort is ........:?

Naomi
08-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I can touch his leg and move his leg about but it seems it's his shoulder that's giving him the trouble. When i put my hand on his shoulder and gently move it he looks at me and then tries to lick his shoulder :?

borderdawn
08-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Could he have an abcess brewing? My Cat wouldnt walk once, Vets thought he had soft tissue damage, but in 5 days he got no better at all, then BANG!! The abcess on his leg burst and he was fine! There was never a sign of a bite wound on him.

Hope Timmy gets better quickly.
Dawn.

Naomi
08-12-2006, 08:47 PM
I can't see any wounds on him. He's eating like an absolute pig. COuld have sworn I had 2 dogs tonight when I was dishing up the chicken. Both Tilly & Timmy sitting by my legs with big pleading eyes :roll:

I did give them some after I'd dished up what we were having. Thought it might do Timmy some good too. If he's still looking very sorry for himself over the weekend I'll take him back to the vets.

yola
08-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Good on you Nae. If he's poorly then it's only fair to take him back and ask the vets to rethink their diagnosis.

dandysmom
08-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Poor little guy, yes, I'd return to the vet; he should be getting better by now, not worse! That's worrisome....:cry:

Kazz
09-12-2006, 12:30 AM
You know it sounds more and more like Abcess to me, Oscar the bite would never showed up key to his was he was okay but couldn't put weight on his leg then suddenly really poorly noticed Cleo really licking his shoulder oddly enough (coicidence maybe as Timmy's seems to be his shoulder) took him back to the vet and an abcess vet lanced it actually, the poision just shot out the relief and improvment was immediate. Never a sign of a bite at all though.

Edited to say just noticed one of Dawn's was similar, and thinking back the timescale was the same about 4-5 days from Oscar's vet's visit till the next and the abcess seen - maybe thats the key how long has it been Naomi?

Mags
09-12-2006, 12:38 AM
I hope Timmy improves over the weekend Nae......

dandysmom
09-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Fingers crossed that he'll feel better over the weekend also!

Naomi
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM
There is slight improvement today, still not putting much weight on his leg but he's looking better. He's sleeping most of the time which i don't mind.

He slept in my bedroom last night (absolutely shocking cos as a rule no pets are alowed upstairs and most certainly NEVER allowed to sleep in the bedrooms during the night)and he was restless for most of the night. He woke me up at 3:15am and after I told him to go back to sleep he curled up into my back and settled down.

Still no sign of an abcess or a wound. I have noticed that the vet has given me Metacam for dogs :? Is it the same stuff for cats do you know? I didn't see it first off cos the lable was covering the botte but the lable fell off and it says 'Metacam for Dogs' under it.

Okay just discovered something which I will most definately be taking up with my vets. Apparently Metacam is not licensed for use in Cats as an oral suspension and as this is the case I should have signed for it and been made aware that the possible side effects are vomiting and in severe cases kidney failure and/or death!!!! I was not made aware of the severe side effects and was only told 'Just keep an eye on him cos he maybe a little bit sick afterwards' :mad:

dinahsmum
09-12-2006, 03:04 PM
I hope the improvement will continue Nae - and speed up if possible. Poor little chap - he's been off colour for a while. :?
Interesting about the Metacam. Cats are so difficult to treat - they are sensitive to lots of drugs.
I've only had experience of it with dogs but kazz said Oscar used to have it. Don't know if that was jab or suspension though ... rather suspect it was jab, as I think I remember her saying how quickly it acted.

Naomi
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM
He's still sleeping bless him, he's hadly moved all day but he is breathing. Had to check a couple of times :D

Kazz
09-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Yep we were a jab, he could have just banged it Naomi and we are all worrying too much I hope. Sure he'll be okay soon sounds like he's got more sense than we have he's doing what anyone with a poorly leg would do he's resting.:)

Fran
09-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Metacam isn't liscensed for cats Nae but it is used. lucky had it last year when her leg was bad and now Porsha is on it for her rhinitis. It does say Metacam for dogs on the bottle but a lot of vets do use it for cats at their discretion - even my rabbit has had metacam in the past. It's rather like us taking Ibuprofen, must be taken with food and can cause upset tummies in any animal as Ibuprofen can in humans :)

Kazz
09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Thats right I am certain the trio with elderly cats all had Metcam for our cats Me for Oz, Fran for Lucky and I think Elaine for Winston.

Naomi
09-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Timmy's just been sick so I'm hoping it's the start of an improvement in him.

alexgirl73
09-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Porr Timmy Nae. He is having a time of it at the moment isn't he? Fingers crossed he will start to pick up now, How's your little boy handling it, 'cause Timmys his cat isn't he?

catsinc4
09-12-2006, 11:28 PM
awwwwwwwww i hope he is getting better by now??my kitten has taken 3 n half weeks to be able to walk in a straight line so maybe its just time he needs?

Naomi
10-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Thomas is handling it really well and is making sure that he has his medicine. Thomas is being extremely responsible and is wanting to give me some more of his xmas money to help towards Timmy's vet bill. I've told him no he can keep his xmas money to buy his dad a pressie when he comes home :D

Timmy's improved over the night and is walking better, altho not perfectly and still not his full weight but it looks like things are slowly picking up.

Booktigger
10-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I am glad things are looking up. Metacam isn't licenced for use in cats, but the majority of cases where there are severe reactions are on the large doses - I have been given it for 2 cats, and they have both been fine - as have their blood tests, but neither have had mor than 3 drops a day.