PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Sandy...

Moli
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
My neighbour Doris fell a week ago and fractured her hip, she is in hospital and has had a partial hip replacement, I am feeding her cat Sandy....(The one that spat at me last time her mum was in hospital)!!
Doris is going to be away at least 10 weeks, Sandy is miserable without her mum, and when I go to feed her, spend a while giving her cuddles, She is eating,but not as much as usual...
She is a very nervous cat, doesn't like strangers, so my way of thinking is she is better being in her own home...But she is on her own most of the time...Don't know what to do for the best..I can't take her to my home, doubt if she would cope with my lot!:(

Mags
07-12-2006, 07:27 PM
I think she will feel better remaining in her own home as long as possible Moli. She knows you now and accepts you as a friendly face even though she misses her own mum. As long as you are able to find time to feed her each day, I would say leave her where she is for the time being ....... although 10 weeks is a long time and you may fine her knocking at your door one day ;)

Moli
07-12-2006, 07:32 PM
She is scared of my boys Mags, all but Chancer, she loves him...

Kazz
07-12-2006, 08:27 PM
How about taking Chancer over then when you go Moli, I assume you can walk there? and he would follow you, maybe cat company is what she could do with as well. You'll be surprised how well cats manage to adapt although I imagine Doris spent 24/7 with her, so nothing you do could compare to that so you can only do the best you can. I think too she will be happier in her own home and Doris will be pleased to know she's fine, I assume you leave the radio/TV on for her Cleo adores that.

dandysmom
07-12-2006, 08:59 PM
She's definitely better off in her own home; hate to think how she'd react being put in a cattery! Fab idea about taking Chancer with you, and think the radio's good too! Poor Doris, she must miss Sandy very much.....:cry:

Moli
07-12-2006, 10:13 PM
How about taking Chancer over then when you go Moli, I assume you can walk there? and he would follow you, maybe cat company is what she could do with as well. You'll be surprised how well cats manage to adapt although I imagine Doris spent 24/7 with her, so nothing you do could compare to that so you can only do the best you can. I think too she will be happier in her own home and Doris will be pleased to know she's fine, I assume you leave the radio/TV on for her Cleo adores that.Chancer has access to the house through catflaps, he is not too keen on going in as Doris has a dog, who at the moment is staying with a friend of mine....Great idea the radio, never thought of that:?
I will take Chancer with me tomorrow, maybe if he see's the dog is not there he will come in....I wouldn't put her in a cattery, but do have a friend who would foster her...

logoes
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
What about a timer for putting on and off a small lamp, and the radio so that puss has a bit of 'narturalness' and doesn't feel so alone, Logoes

alexgirl73
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
What about an item of Doris' clothing that she can lie on that has her 'scent' on it, might make her feel better.

Moli
07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
What about an item of Doris' clothing that she can lie on that has her 'scent' on it, might make her feel better.
She has the run of the house, and sleeps on Doris's bed.. I think she just misses the company, When Doris is home, she will not come near me, now she is my best pal!

alexgirl73
07-12-2006, 10:40 PM
poor baby, and poor Doris, she must be missing her so!

Moli
07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I took a couple of photographs of Sandy and Suzy the dog, printed them off and put them in a frame, took them to the hospital lastnight, she was so pleased....They are her only family, Doris has not relations at all...

alexgirl73
07-12-2006, 10:46 PM
That makes me feel so sad Moli. Please pass on to her my best wishes. And she is very fortunate to have a neighbour as caring as yourself.

Sweet
07-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Send her my love too :) I hope Doris recovers well and can be back home with her beloved animals. You are doing a grand job ((((((hugs)))))) x

Fran
07-12-2006, 11:23 PM
What a sad situation :( Sandy must be very confused and Doris must be most unhappy :( Well done Moli for helping out and being there for Doris

dinahsmum
08-12-2006, 10:06 AM
My suggestions have been covered - radio (maybe even a bit of TV), timed lights and articles from Doris. If it gets cold you could even really coddle Sandy with a hot water bottle for nighttime.
Hope it all resolves.

Kazz
08-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Thats a good idea DM - put a hot water bottle (or two) in the bed at night Sandy must be used to cuddling up to Doris, and older cats do feel the cold. I bet she misses the dog too :( you are doing a lovely thing there Moli I bet Doris is pleased you moved there, being a good friend.
Sandy will soon adapt cats do, you could try bringing something of Doris' home and then the hospital like a cardigan take it to the hospital get Doris to wear it day or two then bring it back and leave it in the house, so it reinforces the "Doris" scent to Sandy.
Karen

dandysmom
08-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Thats a good idea about the hot water bottle amd the cardigan with scent! Doris is lucky to have a caring neighbor like you!

yola
08-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Moli - the photo of Sandy and the dog is a lovely touch. You really are a most caring person.

Everyone's pretty well covered all the suggestions I was going to make . . . however, I'm sure it's a huge weight off Doris' mind to know that her beloved pets are being cared for by such kind people. Bless you.