PDA

View Full Version : Feline Alzheimers

alexgirl73
06-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Did anyone else see the report that talks about cats suffering from a form of alzheimers. I saw it on the scottish regional news section of bbci. I thought this was rather interesting, and it said how it might lead to greater understanding of the disease in humans.

Mags
06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I saw that report too Alex .......

Here is the link to it ...........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6212080.stm

Kazz
06-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Very interesting just read the link Ta Mags, I sometimes wonder if Cleo hasa touch of dementia as some things seem to befuddle her that never have before but I notice that it says;
Experts suggest good diet, mental stimulation and companionship can reduce the risk of dementia in both humans and cats. which is what my vet suggested earlier this year when I enquired about Cleo. But he also said given her age that vets rarely see cats of her age whereas cats in their late teens are common now. Cat past 20 are uncommon to say the least. Therefore he was going at it blind almost.
Karen

Fran
06-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Extremely interesting that! I often wonder why it affects some cats and humans and not others :? It was a great comfort to me that despite her age and failing health, Lucky was 'all there upstairs' as it were. Don't know how I would cope with a cat with dementia, I remember how debilitating and terrible the disease was for my Grandpa in his 80's :(

Fran
06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
deleted as duplicated post

yola
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
My friend had to PTS one of her old cats in late summer. She loved this cat, but the poor thing obviously did have dementia. She would get confused, would howl horribly, would walk around crashing into things . . . it got to the point where my friend said 'enough's enough' and did the right thing for poor Smut :(

CathyW
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM
im sure barnaby had that, he seemed as if he didnt know us, (or in his case probally didnt want to know us)
often wondered about that.

dinahsmum
07-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I suppose there's no reason why cats shouldn't get this type of condition. At lest we can give them a dignified exit if it gets too much :(

Kim
07-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I rescued a very oldie cat from our local Animal Sanctuary. I am convinced she had dementia as her behaviour became bizarre to say the least.

Kazz
07-12-2006, 06:18 PM
I think if you have a cat with dementia (like people) it usually creeps up on you slowly so you adapt your way of life gradually until eventually you realise one day something is amiss. So you don't notice as such you get used to it.

smithdouglaswood
09-12-2006, 12:28 AM
I was sure that my old boy Minky had dementia but after blood tests and visits to the vets it was not conclusive, but I suppose he did have other problems.

It is a horrible disease, maybe one day there will be a cure.