PDA

View Full Version : Cat attacked by a dog

Samz5
30-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Someone I know had there cat attacked by a neighbors dog about 2 months ago, this dog has actually bitten people before yet they still let it run loose as its way out in the countryside... anyway the cat was shaken by the dog and the cat ran off bleeding, the cat came back the next day with a big flap of skin ripped but hanging off his chest/belly area .

The owners of the cat didn't take him to the vet, but from what they had said it sounded like a serious injury and I would have had it down the vet in a second had he been one of mine, I urged them to take him but they didn't, I kept asking about him and they said he was fine, fair enough - lucky cat.

Well I spoke to the owner last night and apparently the cat is not so good, the wound hasn't shut and now is infected and smells, and the cat is being sick and sleeping a lot, my reply was 'get him to the vet!' I was told that 'hes still purring' I tried to tell them cats will purr even on the brink of death, this doesn't mean the cat is happy or OK, they agreed to take him to the vet today.

I have just found out that they haven't taken the cat to the vet today because he was sick earlier and then seemed better and if hes too bad tomorrow then he will go to the vet! Can you believe it? What will it take for them to take the cat for help! :mad:
I feel totally frustrated, it seems to me from what I've been told the wound is badly infected and possibly giving him blood poisoning which is why hes being sick, hopefully I'm over reacting about the whole thing but it doesn't sound good does it?

dinahsmum
30-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Report them to the police and RSPCA - unneccessary suffering.
The cat sounds as though it has septicaemia - or at least an infected wound.

Fran
30-11-2006, 06:27 PM
:( I was struggliing to read this :(

Please report them to the RSPCA.....poor cat :(

teenytiny
30-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Maybe you could mention that if they have no money to get the cat to the vets, maybe they could take the cat to the RSPCA?

If not, I would either catnap the cat myself and get it to the RSPCA asap or I would have to report them. Sorry, but not getting the cat to the vets is just cruel.

CathyW
30-11-2006, 06:38 PM
that poor cat, id report them straight away.

Jac
30-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry but whether you are "friendly" with these people or not I wouldnt give a hoot. Report them! At least the poor wee scone would get the treatment it obviously needs.

Samz5
30-11-2006, 06:58 PM
OK, the thing is its not just someone I know, its my aunt and a close aunt too, I would never believe she could treat the poor cat so badly, on top of that my cousin who lives there I am also very close with, he can drive, he could have taken the cat to the vet just as easily as his mum could of, I see them at least twice a week (not at there home, I haven't seen the cat since this all happened). They have obviously lied to me about how the cats been doing, they know what I think already, especially as I just spent out hundreds to get Tango back on his feet, they have more money than I do :mad:
I can't report someone in my own family... could I, I don't know - it would most certainly have a knock on effect.
If they don't take him tomorrow I think I might have to step in and take the poor thing to the vets myself, don't know how well that will go down but sod it! I am so angry right now.

Mags
30-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I can't believe that someone would allow their cat to suffer like this!:mad:

I agree with everyone else, contact the RSPCA. I know it is difficult as you are related but could you not explain this to them so that your name will not be mentioned?

Please keep us updated.....

yola
30-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Difficult situation . . . however I would strongly suspect that I would report and stuff the consequences. After all, you could ensure that the report is anonymous . . . just if you do that make sure that they understand it's genuine and serious.

I hope the cat's OK. What a horrible thing to put your pet through, they can't really care about it can they, not if they let it suffer like that. :evil:

Jac
30-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry I'm with everyone else on this one. The thing is they wont say who phoned. I know what I'm talking about. You say you dont want the people to know who reported it and it wont go any further. Once the SSPCA have taken the cat you act:shock: . Simple as. Think about the pain and suffering this wee soul is going through, If it's still alive. I hope the latter isnt the case.
Please, Please report this. As you have said you have spent alot of money on your wee one, think about what your aunts cat must be going through. They really cant care about it.

dandysmom
30-11-2006, 08:59 PM
How horrible; that poor cat must be in so much pain; don't understand how anyone could stand by and watch it suffer likr that. If you can do it anonymously then please do report them...I hope it's not too late.......

EmmaG
30-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I understand how difficult it is, but if it was me I would take the cat straight to the vet, if they didn't let me I would report them straight away to the RSPCA and I would tell them!! I would rather fall out with one of my family that knowingly let an animal suffer.

Good luck, I hope the poor cat gets to see a vet soon :(

Moli
30-11-2006, 10:15 PM
I am with everybody else on the, family or not, I would report them too, that poor cat must be in agony!

kado
01-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Think of the cat. My cat kado was chased by a dog who where we trying to catch. He had been passed from pillar to post i dont blame the dog or its owner. Kado is fine wound'nt go out for a few days he didnt get bit but kado bit me out of frieght. Please dont take the chance.

Tom
02-12-2006, 01:53 AM
This is awful, i hope the poor cat is okay..

__Tom

hamish
02-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Definately report to SSPCA, sorry RSPCA in your area, its lack of vet attention, its an offence under the protection of Animals Act 1911. They will never know who reported them

Amie
08-12-2006, 05:14 PM
OMG this has made me feel Sick. If this poor cat is still alive and not been to the Vet you have to report it.

I would report ANY member of my family if they caused that amount of suffering:mad:

Poor Poor Cat:(

Samz5
16-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't updated this post for a while, my broadband got cut off without notice because my ISP was in some kind of legal battle (not with me lol) and its taken ages to sort it out!

The cat made it to the vet after I pestered my aunt and everyone concerned, hes gonna be OK, I believe hes on some antibiotics now to clear up the infection, I'm glad hes ok but I am still very annoyed that he didn't get to the vet quicker, I know you are all right saying report them to the rspca, I'm glad it didn't have to come to that though.
Just wanted to let you know hes OK now.

dinahsmum
16-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Glad there's a happy ending to this story!

Fran
16-12-2006, 04:00 PM
So glad all is well :D

Mags
16-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for updating us Sam .......... glad to hear the cat had treatment and he's well on the way to recovery. :D

yola
16-12-2006, 05:54 PM
:D I too am pleased that cat's on it's way to recovery. :D

dandysmom
16-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Very relieved to hear that news!!!

Amie
17-12-2006, 02:32 PM
That is such good news:D

Jac
17-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Sorry just caught up with this thred. So glad the wee soul has received the treatment he so obviously needed. Glad to know he's on the mend. Happy ending:D